Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T2, Note II
I'm from India and want to buy nook but heard that can't use it in India

Hello everyone.
I'm really frustrated as since 2 weeks I was trying to convince my parents and brother for buying nook simple touch. Today I was finally going to place the order on grabmore. Last night I talked to barnes and noble nook expert and he told me that I can't use it in India without US address and US credit card. Now that is really terible
I mainly want to use nook for transferring PDFs(notes of pragramming languages) from my computer to read them. I don't care if I can't use the wifi for purchasing books online.

And the main thing is I'll never opt for rooting the device as their is high risk of killing it for forever.

I want to know from Indians who purchased nook and are using it(for transferring PDFs from computer) without rooting it. Also, how they are able to do that.
Others also please reply if you have any suggestions.
Hoping to get help from you all.
Thank you.
nandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't know about India, but you most certainly can use a Nook without a US address or credit card! You do not need to root it to do that. I use my Nook in Sweden, right out of the box.
You can register it with any e-mail address and you you don't have to give an address or credit card details just to register it and use it.
You won't be able to buy content from Barnes and Noble without giving a US adress and some other "fixes", but sideloading work perfectly!
I'm not sure a Nook STR would be the best choice for PDF reading though, but that's another story...
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a lot Asawi.. I can't tell you how happy I'm after reading your reply.

Suppose I purchase it and I switch it on. Now can I transfer PDFs to nook straightaway or I'll have to register on B&n with a email address first?

Would like to know your suggestions on ebook readers for reading PDFs.

PS: Is there any like button?

Thanks a lot..
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you turn it on you'll be asked to create an account during the startup process. Juat add an e-mail and password and say "no" to adding a credit card.
You are now ready to go! All is set up, no need to wait fora anything.
I don't read PDF:s on eInk myself so I really can't give any advice there.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Schauberger
Biotechnologist
Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st Gen Kindle; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandini View Post
Thanks a lot Asawi.. I can't tell you how happy I'm after reading your reply.

Suppose I purchase it and I switch it on. Now can I transfer PDFs to nook straightaway or I'll have to register on B&n with a email address first?

Would like to know your suggestions on ebook readers for reading PDFs.

PS: Is there any like button?

Thanks a lot..
You can try this to skip registration: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12&postcount=5
Schauberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schauberger View Post
You can try this to skip registration: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12&postcount=5
Don't do it - your battery life will be horrible is you skip registration.

Registering is simple and fast, there is no reason to skip it. If you don't want to give your email address, use a dummy or fake one, but do not skip this step.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
When you turn it on you'll be asked to create an account during the startup process. Juat add an e-mail and password and say "no" to adding a credit card.
You are now ready to go! All is set up, no need to wait fora anything.
I don't read PDF:s on eInk myself so I really can't give any advice there.

Thanks again Asawi. I'll need wifi connection to do that right?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schauberger View Post

I read that whole thread and realized that battery will drain too fast.. Anyway thank you very much for helping me..
Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Don't do it - your battery life will be horrible is you skip registration.

Registering is simple and fast, there is no reason to skip it. If you don't want to give your email address, use a dummy or fake one, but do not skip this step.

Thanks for replying. If I enter email Id and password and click on no for credit card details then my nook will get registered? And its battery will drain at normal pace? Also, would like to know the PDF experience on nook.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Yes, you need WiFi to do the registration. After that you can turn it off forever!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Yes, you need WiFi to do the registration. After that you can turn it off forever!
Thank you very much Asawi. That was really helpful.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
palka
palka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
Using NOOK in INDIA

Hi,
I am using NST in India for the last 6 months. Register your Nook as described before, you can use an Indian address. Turn off WiFi thereafter. You cannot buy book from the B&N bookstore. But there are plenty of free ebooks available to keep you busy reading, you can also use nonDRM ebooks bought from other ebook stores.

Nook is not a good device for reading PDFs. In fact, PDF is a very poor format for ebooks.

Download and install Calibre, You can manage your nook with it. use calibre to transfer books to your Nook.
palka is offline   Reply With Quote