Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
jetBook Color under the microscope

Since some people wonder how the jetBook Color renders coloured text at a lower apparent resolution than black text I thought I'd stick it under the microscope again to demonstrate. This is a small PDF just consisting of four lower case 'a' characters in black, red, green and blue. The black one uses all the sub-pixels available (1200x1600 of them at approx 206dpi) to render a nice smooth letter form. The coloured ones basically blot out the unwanted colour sub-pixels giving a checkered and slightly jagged effect, although it doesn't look anywhere near as bad on screen as it does in the magnified photos. I got bored before doing the green pictures...

Incidentally I used a trial version of Autopano Pro to stitch together the high magnification pictures out of smaller sections - I think I'll be buying it as it makes the job really easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	page.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	862.2 KB
ID:	83008

Name:	aaaax40.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	83002

Name:	aaax400.jpg
Views:	1235
Size:	1,003.8 KB
ID:	83003

Name:	black1.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	83004 Click image for larger version

Name:	red1.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	583.6 KB
ID:	83005Click image for larger version

Name:	blue1.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	648.5 KB
ID:	83006

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 02-24-2012 at 04:47 PM.
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I suppose the text appearing within the pixels is from your (russian) software?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I suppose the text appearing within the pixels is from your (russian) software?
It's the watermark from Autopano Pro. I don't think it's Russian though - I think somehow some of the letters are overlapping so it looks weird.

Andrew
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Before seeing this, I had completely the wrong idea about how it works. As you say, the black really is 206 dpi, since all the pixels (RGBW) are black! Obvious when you see it magnified.

It is also now clear why the colors are so washed out, pure red (say) is one part red and 3 parts black.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Before seeing this, I had completely the wrong idea about how it works. As you say, the black really is 206 dpi, since all the pixels (RGBW) are black! Obvious when you see it magnified.

It is also now clear why the colors are so washed out, pure red (say) is one part red and 3 parts black.
For some reason pure green uses the green and clear pixels whereas pure red and blue are one pixel of the colour and up to three pixels of black - I assume light red would have the R and W pixels white and the G and B pixels black. Lots of fun to be had - I haven't had much time since getting the jetBook Color but I'll try and add a few more investigations as time permits.

Another interesting thing to notice is that even the coloured letters aren't actually too blocky in outline - they still use the 1200x1600 sub-pixels and aren't made out of solid 2x2 square "Lego bricks".

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 02-25-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For colors I'd expect to have one color, one white, and the other 2 black...
I guess it depends on the gradient of color.
If you have FF,00,00 maybe it shows more black pixels, while FF,80,80 might show less black.

It would be nice to go into MS paint (the one provided by your Windows) and manually select a color (double click the color, and change the color value from 0 to 255); and paint some small squares and do some testing like that.
I have a microscope which I'm planning on using, unfortunately it does not have a USB connection for image transfers to pc's.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i wonder if a pentile arrangement of the filter would be better than the grid the are using?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
The real "problem" (as if it is a problem) is the contrast. Looking at this photo:

Triton Filter seems a little more darker than non-pearl b/w eink. But it seems to me better then Sipix® screen.

Can someone do a comparative photo?
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Thanks Andrew. This illustrates the effect nicely. In particular the first image can be clicked twice to make it large enough to actually see the difference in smoothness of the various characters in my browser. What size font is it? You have to wonder if a little more clear pixels on in red and blue might brighten the colors a bit but perhaps what they have done is the best. If the font is larger I would expect the color to be more apparent.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 02-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Thanks Andrew. This illustrates the effect nicely. In particular the first image can be clicked twice to make it large enough to actually see the difference in smoothness of the various characters in my browser. What size font is it? You have to wonder if a little more clear pixels on in red and blue might brighten the colors a bit but perhaps what they have done is the best. If the font is larger I would expect the color to be more apparent.

Dale
It was 14pt Times New Roman bold "printed" to an A4 PDF which is then displayed fullscreen on the jetBook Color.

Here are some more. A 28pt red 'a' (I'll try light red later):

Name:	greys.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	83042

Name:	reda.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	83039

and a black-grey-white scale (clearly in full 1200x1600 resolution as well). Greyscale comics looks great on this device. The cyan stuff is again the watermark of the Autopano Pro software - I must get myself a license as it's great for stitching stuff together automatically.

Name:	greyscale.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	83040

Andrew
Attached Files
File Type: pdf greys.pdf (3.6 KB, 597 views)

Last edited by andyh2000; 02-25-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac

You can clearly see the 8 'a's in the small view of the gray scale picture, while in enlarged view the last a is barely visible!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
andyh2000
Avid reader

Just for comparison here are the equivalents on an iPad 1. I know which I prefer reading off (as long as the ambient lighting is good).

Name:	ipad-aaaa.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	83052

Name:	ipad-greys.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	83053

Name:	ipad-reda.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	83054

And what do you know, pure red on an iPad is a mixture of red and black.

Andrew
Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac

yeah, but pure red on an ipad is LIGHT SOURCE red, not filtered red.
Filtered red always looks much darker than light coming from a light source.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #14
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
yeah, but pure red on an ipad is LIGHT SOURCE red, not filtered red.
Filtered red always looks much darker than light coming from a light source.
Only if the brightness of the ambient light after reflection and filtering is less than the LCD brightness. Which it usually is of course, and that's one of my problems with the iPad. I can't turn the brightness down far enough to match the ambient lighting conditions.

Andrew
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac

...which is one of the reasons why people are complaining about reading from a pc.
On one of the first netbooks, you could hack the firmware to set the screen so dark, that it'd be hardly viewable even in a pitch black environment!

Having the possibility to reduce screen brightness to 10 nits or lower, can allow you to set perfect lighting conditions to read on an LCD (not to mention save plenty of battery in the process too).