Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Paintbrush
Edge User

Cool Feeling eDGey lately!

Hello, eDGey people!

I'm new to using EnTourage equipment. I purchased a PE from hsn the day it launched. I received it fairly quickly after that and have been exploring it in stolen moments. So far it seems like a pretty cool gadget. Not a perfect one, but just fine. I have been reading through the forums and have learned some things while walking away more confused about others.

I do have a couple of what seems to be minor problems so far. I searched and could not find threads addressing them. I also contacted customer service and they seem to be overwhelmed and unable to effectively address my problems, so I came here.

My first problem is the trackpad. It seems to malfunction occasionally. Sometimes this is fixed by shutting down and restarting the PE, but sometimes not. Customer service told me that this has been a common complaint and it's a software thing, but they have not really instructed me how to fix it.

My second problem is Docs to Go/Keypad stuff. I asked CS about this and the guy told me to do what I'd already been doing that wasn't working. When I open a document (say, Word) and then want the keypad, I hit the menu button, but I get a set of six buttons at the bottom instead of a keypad. The same happens for excel. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I have to have something setup a certain way.

I do have other questions about some things, but I haven't searched on them yet, so I'll do that and come back if necessary.

First impressions from a newbie, though...

The Pocket eDGe is pretty cool. Great idea. It seems to work well. Average level of user friendly. Sturdy feel, but would be nice if design was sleaker. I've seen others say it was ugly, and while I don't agree with "ugly", I'd have to say there is room for improvement. To me, its purpose outweighs its appearance. It's a tool not a fashion statement. There are some bugs/kinks to work out, but that's the case with just about any new product. It's price could stand some lowering, but it is a new item. Anyone remember when DVD players were $500 each? (the same one you can get now for $50?)

It does do just about everything my mother would need in a computer. If I end up changing my mind later, I'd probably give it to her instead of returning it altogether. But so far I'm inclined to keep it. I LOVE the portability.

Current plans for use: In my job I write business listings with photos. The PE will take adequate photos for it and I can take notes in the journal and organize with Excel (once I get my keyboard) and use the internet to research and write the listings. I have not tried all of this yet, but I will soon. I have been going to school and next semester was planning on continuing, so I will most likely use it for that, as well. I've downloaded books from Gutenberg for my kids, but my voracious reader is getting a Nook for Christmas courtesy of my mother, so it'll mostly be for me to curl up with my youngest to read together.

It has been interesting to read all the posts here. Everyone seems so... oh, I don't know... En eDGe?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, Paintbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintbrush View Post
I have been reading through the forums and have learned some things while walking away more confused about others.
Always feel free to ask for clarification

Quote:
My first problem is the trackpad. It seems to malfunction occasionally. Sometimes this is fixed by shutting down and restarting the PE, but sometimes not. Customer service told me that this has been a common complaint and it's a software thing, but they have not really instructed me how to fix it.
When Tech Support says "it's a software thing" they mean they have to release a software update for it. These come out maybe once a month, as needed, and are a free download. Keep an eye on these forums for news then the next software update is released.

Quote:
My second problem is Docs to Go/Keypad stuff. I asked CS about this and the guy told me to do what I'd already been doing that wasn't working. When I open a document (say, Word) and then want the keypad, I hit the menu button, but I get a set of six buttons at the bottom instead of a keypad. The same happens for excel. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I have to have something setup a certain way.
All the buttons on the LCD screen are dual mode. A single press performs the action indicated by the symbol on the button. Press-and-hold (a long press) performs a secondary function. In this case, pressing and holding the Menu button will force the keyboard to appear. Try out the other buttons to see what they do.

Fire away with any more questions - chances are it's a quick answer

Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Paintbrush
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Welcome to the forums, Paintbrush
Thanks!

Quote:
Always feel free to ask for clarification
Well, for the last two weeks, I've been reading. I only just set up a login today. I may just become a regular pest around here. It seems the eDGe is one of those tools that can be fabulous once you know your way around, but it's like the house with all those extra rooms to explore and may take some familiarization. It really is an amazing concept.

Quote:
When Tech Support says "it's a software thing" they mean they have to release a software update for it. These come out maybe once a month, as needed, and are a free download. Keep an eye on these forums for news then the next software update is released.
Ahhhhh. Ok. Then I was being daft, which isn't unusual for me. I'm both a sahm and a working mom and don't ask me how I manage to accomplish that paradox. But that leads to much daftness.

Quote:
All the buttons on the LCD screen are dual mode. A single press performs the action indicated by the symbol on the button. Press-and-hold (a long press) performs a secondary function. In this case, pressing and holding the Menu button will force the keyboard to appear. Try out the other buttons to see what they do.
See... more daftness. I know he told me to press the button, but I didn't realize it had two functions like this. And what do you know! It worked!

Quote:
Fire away with any more questions - chances are it's a quick answer
Well, really... I've been wondering...
If you don't work for enTourage, then where does such devotion come from that you put so much into these forums other than your stated "you get out of them what you put into them" approach? (not only will I be a daft pest, but I'm kinda nosey too )

Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
StephenC
Edge User

enTourage pushed Dingo 1.9 to the PE Friday. You my want to check for updates. You can also turn on the auto check by going to Settings>Edge settings>Default Device Preferences. You can turn on Automaically Check For Updates from here. (Green check to the box) This may resolve your trackball issue.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Well, really... I've been wondering...
If you don't work for enTourage, then where does such devotion come from that you put so much into these forums other than your stated "you get out of them what you put into them" approach? (not only will I be a daft pest, but I'm kinda nosey too )
Fair question! Originally it started from enthusiasm for what I saw as a revoluationary device that at the time wasn't getting much respect from iFans and paid reviewers. That enthusiam remains. However, I'm also addicted to "news" so I constantly watch the forums when I'm bored for new posts These forums are really quite interesting with the questions and opinions posted. And, I do get a kick out of seeing people like yourself happy to find the answer for something that has been frustrating them

Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Paintbrush
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenC View Post
enTourage pushed Dingo 1.9 to the PE Friday. You my want to check for updates. You can also turn on the auto check by going to Settings>Edge settings>Default Device Preferences. You can turn on Automaically Check For Updates from here. (Green check to the box) This may resolve your trackball issue.
I don't know, but it may have already done that. I recharged my PE and when I turned it back on it did an auto update. How do I check for Dingo 1.9?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

You can check the version by pressing the "Menu" button, then "Settings", "About". The version will be displayed at the bottom under "Build number".

Old 11-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
Paintbrush
Edge User

Quote:
Fair question! Originally it started from enthusiasm for what I saw as a revoluationary device that at the time wasn't getting much respect from iFans and paid reviewers. That enthusiam remains. However, I'm also addicted to "news" so I constantly watch the forums when I'm bored for new posts These forums are really quite interesting with the questions and opinions posted. And, I do get a kick out of seeing people like yourself happy to find the answer for something that has been frustrating them
Well, then! Prepare yourself to get much entertainment around me! I'm not computer illiterate, but I am daft, so I'll probably be asking lots!

I'm still kinda new to the world of apps. and many of the apps (like pandora). I'm still clinging to my laptop more than my PE, though much of what I do on it can be done on the PE (except for all my OneNote files which I would LOVE to have on PE). But I am getting tempted to get myself a keyboard for my PE... probably one of those small ones not much longer than the PE itself.

I LOVE the little gift baskets you created stickied to the top of the forum! Thanks!

I have a teenage son and think this would be great for his schoolwork. He won't be in college for a few years, and I'm sure the eDGe will be all that much better by then, but I think he'd love having one for studies now. No more lost work! (of course I haven't looked into school policy on this at all yet). My two daughters have been having a blast with my PE as well.

Oh... I do have a question. One of my daughters likes starfall.com. I tried to go there on the eDGe but it wouldn't let me. I think it's an Adobe Flash issue or somesuch thing (it happened last week, so I can't remember exactly what it was). What would I have to do to access it?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Paintbrush
Edge User

Quote:
You can check the version by pressing the "Menu" button, then "Settings", "About". The version will be displayed at the bottom under "Build number".
Yay! It's Dingo 1.9! I'm updated.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

For school use, the larger eDGe is highly recommended. The note taking page is closer to regular paper, and PDF etextbooks will be easier to read.

Starfall.com appears to use a newer version of Flash that the eDGe doesn't yet support. enTourage is working on an update that provides the latest Flash support, but they aren't able to give an exact date when it'll be ready.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Paintbrush
Edge User

Ahhh, ok. This may force me into braving without the laptop more so she can play on it instead of on the PE. It could be good for me. I've already got more books for them loaded on there than I have for me. Go figure.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
Eddy R
Edge User

Paintbrush.... You've just had an example of what to expect from this forum.

FWIW: The following "Advanced Search" set up is only done once. Preferences are saved and reused.
The results are obvious. EDIT: (i.e. The purpose of 'Show results as Forums' rather than 'Posts' guarantees exposure to and acknowledgement of the many contributions by other members of the forum.) The "WHATS NEW" feature is fine for daily checks, but ..this saves time when trying to 'catch up' on significant posts.

Advanced Search
Search Single Content Type
Search In: Search Type: Posts(v)
Search for Posts: Keywords: ……: Search Entire Posts(v)
User Name: "borisb": Find Posts by User(v): Exact name
Tag: ……:
Additional Options:
Search in Forums: Search All Open Forums(v)
Also search in child forums
Find Threads with: ….
Find Posts: Any Date(v): and Newer(v):
Sort Results by: Thread Start Date(v): in Descending Order(v)
Show Results as: Forums

Save Search Preferences(v) GO(Click to save preferences)

Search Now

Last edited by Eddy R; 11-22-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Clairification

Old 11-22-2010, 04:56 AM   #13
sarah11918
Edge User

Welcome Paintbrush!

Do take a chance and spend some time "laptop-free" if you want to really delve into your PE. I spent 6 weeks between giving Mom my old laptop and buying my next one, so the (full-sized) edge was my only computer and I learned so much in that time! (Of course, a large part of that was coming here and asking questions.) My edge could replace 85-90% of what I did on the laptop well, and although my shiny new Macbook Air has admittedly been receiving most of my attention lately, it's comforting to know that I can just as easily use the edge and not miss a beat.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
Paintbrush
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy R View Post
Paintbrush.... You've just had an example of what to expect from this forum.

FWIW: The following "Advanced Search" set up is only done once. Preferences are saved and reused.
The results are obvious.

Advanced Search
Search Single Content Type
Search In: Search Type: Posts(v)
Search for Posts: Keywords: ……: Search Entire Posts(v)
User Name: "borisb": Find Posts by User(v): Exact name
Tag: ……:
Additional Options:
Search in Forums: Search All Open Forums(v)
Also search in child forums
Find Threads with: ….
Find Posts: Any Date(v): and Newer(v):
Sort Results by: Thread Start Date(v): in Descending Order(v)
Show Results as: Forums

Save Search Preferences(v) GO(Click to save preferences)

Search Now
lol... I had noticed that boris seems to get around to about every question out there. Perhaps they should retitle this place "Ask boris"

Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
Paintbrush
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Welcome Paintbrush!

Do take a chance and spend some time "laptop-free" if you want to really delve into your PE. I spent 6 weeks between giving Mom my old laptop and buying my next one, so the (full-sized) edge was my only computer and I learned so much in that time! (Of course, a large part of that was coming here and asking questions.) My edge could replace 85-90% of what I did on the laptop well, and although my shiny new Macbook Air has admittedly been receiving most of my attention lately, it's comforting to know that I can just as easily use the edge and not miss a beat.
I'm shopping around for a keyboard for it right now. I want a real keyboard, but a small enough one to not take up much more space than the PE itself, since I'd transport them together. Less money is also good.

Your Macbook Air makes my eyes green, though. But it lacks the reader side of the eDGe, so perhaps they are only a greenish blue.