Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
505 development.

Guys, forgive me for being dumb and way ahead of my current knowledge of the 505 but I'd like to ask something about it. As a C# developer I've done a lot of development on Windows, Mobile based PDA's and on some GPS devices (C). I'm going through Valloric's guide on changing the 505's fonts. That's got me thinking about the 505.

Can you actually develop applications that can run on the 505 or are they just scripts of some form or another? That is, nothing that can respond to button presses and other events, etc?

If there is a development environment what's available for use?

Does the 505 use a Linux-based OS or something proprietery that Sony leveraged?
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Like all the other eInk devices, the 505 runs Linux. I'll let others more knowledgeable than myself about the Sony answer your other questions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Bokkie
Enthusiast

Thanks Harry. You seem to pop up all over the place! I feel a bit like I'm in one of those hit-the-gopher games. You probably know it, a gopher pops it head up from a hole and you have bash it on the bonce before it goes back down. Everywhere I stick my head up, there's a HarryT!

Thanks for the heads-up on the Linux angle. Like you imply, hopefully others can lay a few bricks on the foundation for me.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Download Universal Flasher and examine it. Try the "Run Script" function. Read and edit script.sh. Get an ARM Linux cross-compiling toolchain, try making some simple programs and run them from the script.
Hopefully this will be enough to start.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
One can write all sorts of applications for the Reader. There have been several very successful apps. See here and here for examples.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Bokkie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Download Universal Flasher and examine it. Try the "Run Script" function. Read and edit script.sh. Get an ARM Linux cross-compiling toolchain, try making some simple programs and run them from the script.
Hopefully this will be enough to start.
igorsk, is there an ARM compiler product you recommend? If it's like the stuff I've done before on GPS I had a compiler that could produce binaries for different processors. I don't recall it's name. There are probably freeware compilers and linkers available but the commercial product we had then was an all-in-one which had a nice IDE for editing and the outputs from it all did not require smoke-and-mirrors to be used to do the same. In other words, some freeware options can need many utilities to be run to get to the point of final assembly. I'd prefer a 'professional' package where possible. Do you know of such a beast?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
igorsk, is there an ARM compiler product you recommend? If it's like the stuff I've done before on GPS I had a compiler that could produce binaries for different processors. I don't recall it's name. There are probably freeware compilers and linkers available but the commercial product we had then was an all-in-one which had a nice IDE for editing and the outputs from it all did not require smoke-and-mirrors to be used to do the same. In other words, some freeware options can need many utilities to be run to get to the point of final assembly. I'd prefer a 'professional' package where possible. Do you know of such a beast?

The PRS-505 runs MontaVista Linux and executables are standard ELF. Any ARM compiler could more or less do the job.
By examining the exports/imports table of the eBook Library program on PC you can have a general idea of Kinoma's Fsk framework - and the software running on 505 is an ARM port of that.

So as to say, by writing a .so plugin library to replace the counterpart on 505, you can 'hack' into the Fsk system and get direct access to Fsk APIs.
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote