Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Angry I hate myself for damaging my 505

Last Monday I went to Praha for a business trip and I had my 505 in my luggage. Unfortunately I put it in the external pocket of the luggage, so that I was able to take it out quickly before putting the luggage in the airplane closet.
When I checked in, I inserted the luggage in one of those cages they use to decide if the size of the luggage is ok and I think it happened then, as I had to push the luggage to be able to insert it.
When I opened my loved 505 to read it while waiting for the plane, it had some strange patterns on the screen. I turned it off and on several times, let the battery go out, recharged it and the pattern is still there, even when the 505 is off.
I imagine there is no way to fix it, what do you think guys ?

Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Don't Hate yourself,

It's really not your fault,

Hopefully someone will have an answer to fix it,

Hope so anyway,

Good Luck

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Unfortunately it looks like a cracked e-ink screen.

Your options:
  • let sony replace the screen
  • buy a new reader
  • read pbooks again

I am sorry for you!
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Is the screen really that easy to break? That's scary...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Is the screen really that easy to break? That's scary...
It's thin glass.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I know, but it's encased in the hard body of the rest of the reader. Other than directly punching it, or dropping it from a height, I didn't think there was an easy way to break it.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I know, but it's encased in the hard body of the rest of the reader. Other than directly punching it, or dropping it from a height, I didn't think there was an easy way to break it.
From what I've read here, even extreme changes of temp can crack it. But I've dropped mine several times, twice on concrete, and it is OK. The frame scratched easily on concrete, but it reads just fine. So I guess it is just bad luck when it cracks.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Well, let's look at the bright side: it's time to buy a PRS-600...
Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Definitely a broken screen. Some lessons I've learned from my wife:

It depends upon where you hit the 505s: on the edges it's very tough, but on the screen it's very fragile.

Oh, and a good case helps a lot
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's an absolutely classic picture of a fractured screen substrate. You can see the curved line of the fracture at the right of the picture.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
You can create custom pdf files that will utilize only working portion of the screen.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
Well, let's look at the bright side: it's time to buy a PRS-600...
Sorry about the damage to your 505. Go for it on the 600. It is a great e-reader. I am thoroughly enjoying mine.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #13
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
I hated myself for a while when I broke the e-ink of my 3-day-old PRS600. Trust me, the substrate is easy to break when you accidentally place objects on the screen. (PRS600 comes with a crappy foam sleeve, not a case like the 505). Fortunately I got my set replaced by Sony for free.

I feel you; it's horrible this had to happen.
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Wow lovelyjoe how is it you break your screen and get it replaced for free whereas mine breaks through no fault of my own and sony want the price of a new one to replace it?

Made up for you though Nice to see Sony pulling through there!

Sorry for the OP I'm gonna take extra care with my 505, you've probably raised awareness with this thread!
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Wordcrasher
Addict

Thanks lovelyjoe and Gatecra5her,
I start feeling better now that I ordered a 600 AND an armor case.

Kacir, that workaround could work, but I'm too lazy ;-)