Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Five Ways Amazon could improve the Kindle

Found this article on PC World:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15915...ve_kindle.html

Discuss: ....................................
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That is an article worth reading.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
The one about Word files, I guess the author has not yet discover Mobipocket Creator. I love that application. I do my synopsis for my bundles in Word and then make a Mobi copy using MC, even add a cover page, then load it to my Kindle.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Charging from the USB only: crazy. The whole point of the cell phone wireless was to not need a computer, and now you're going to tether it to a computer to charge? I don't give a hoot if the *author* always has a computer along; *I* don't! Plus I thought it took a lot longer to charge via USB? So you'd turn a device that charges in 2 hours into one that charges in 12 hours. Oh, yeah, that's *just* the thing I want to do when my eyes droop shut and I turn my kindle off and put out the bedside light--pad barefoot across the cold house to plug my Kindle into a computer...

And when I saw "better file handling" I thought she was talking about folders, which I think the Kindle desperately needs. But no, she was talking about native PDF compatibility. If she thinks people are going to read 8 1/2 X 11 PDFs on a 6 inch screen, well, it better come with its own magnifying glass, like the 2 volume version of the OED.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Charging from the USB only: crazy. The whole point of the cell phone wireless was to not need a computer, and now you're going to tether it to a computer to charge? I don't give a hoot if the *author* always has a computer along; *I* don't! Plus I thought it took a lot longer to charge via USB? So you'd turn a device that charges in 2 hours into one that charges in 12 hours. Oh, yeah, that's *just* the thing I want to do when my eyes droop shut and I turn my kindle off and put out the bedside light--pad barefoot across the cold house to plug my Kindle into a computer...

And when I saw "better file handling" I thought she was talking about folders, which I think the Kindle desperately needs. But no, she was talking about native PDF compatibility. If she thinks people are going to read 8 1/2 X 11 PDFs on a 6 inch screen, well, it better come with its own magnifying glass, like the 2 volume version of the OED.
charging via the USB port does not mean it has to be teatherd to a computer, the Razors use a (nonstandard) USB-b port for charging, and HTC phones use (standard) USB-b port for charging too. I have a few AC chargers with USB-b Tips around the house. all this in addition to charging at a computer is a plus, not a negitive.

the Kindle Needs Tags/folders. it does make life easier. but then again on my sony reader i only use 2 tags, Read, and Unread... and the kindle did that while i had it and more (can see progress from the library for example. i wished my sony had that)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
My phone charges fairly quickly off of USB. As do most of the devices that use it. So it's only slow if the hardware involved was poorly implemented.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This article misses on a few points and hit on a few others.

The one about S3 storage is interesting. I have been saying that I would pay to be able to add files to the Amazon media library. But, if I could add my own and just have it charge to my S3 account...that would work too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote