Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
dasym
Connoisseur
dasym began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle. iPad 3
PRS-505 dead?

My 2 week old PRS-505 has stopped working. I had connected it to the computer to transfer some files using Calibre. Instead of the screen showing the USB Connected message it very faintly showed an arrow in the middle. The left half of the screen is faintly grey and the right half is white. It's still like that now. I can't get it to switch on. I've tried a soft reset. Nothing changes on the screen. The LED flashes yellow for a while and when I plug it into the PC the LED turns red, but then goes out after about half an hour. When it's connected to the computer I can transfer books and view them from the reader on the PC.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Dave
dasym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did you try the reset 10 times thing?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
dasym
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you try the reset 10 times thing?

BOb
I've tried that now, but the screen still doesn't change. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the screen as I can access the contents for the reader from Explorer on my computer.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It sounds like it is possible a broken screen or screen controller. If you bought it locally I would recommend bringing it back. Most stores will exchange a defective product within 30 days of purchase.

BOb
Old 01-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
dasym
Connoisseur

Quote:
It sounds like it is possible a broken screen or screen controller. If you bought it locally I would recommend bringing it back. Most stores will exchange a defective product within 30 days of purchase.

BOb
Oh, well, back to the shop. I got it at Waterstones, so I hope they do have a good returns policy because I won't be happy waiting while they send it back to Sony when it's only 2 weeks old.

Here is a picture of what the screen looks like. I seems like it might be the same problem in: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34811

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000400.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	21491  
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
UK law (sale of goods act) does state that you are entitled to a refund or exchange if an item is faulty within 28 days I think, so you should be fine, your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer.
have you tried charging it overnight and then reset slide top switch (sometimes people forget to do the switch after reset)

Just noticed the pic, it does look busted.......Waterstones should exchange it for you.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
dasym
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
UK law (sale of goods act) does state that you are entitled to a refund or exchange if an item is faulty within 28 days I think, so you should be fine, your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer.
have you tried charging it overnight and then reset slide top switch (sometimes people forget to do the switch after reset)

Just noticed the pic, it does look busted.......Waterstones should exchange it for you.
I took it back to Waterstones. They were adamant that it had to be sent back to Sony, until I pointed out their responsibilities under the Sale of Goods act. They eventually agreed to a refund (none in stock for a replacement), but not with good grace. I won't be rushing back to them in a hurry.

Thanks for all the help on this forum.

Dave
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasym View Post
I took it back to Waterstones. They were adamant that it had to be sent back to Sony, until I pointed out their responsibilities under the Sale of Goods act. They eventually agreed to a refund (none in stock for a replacement), but not with good grace. I won't be rushing back to them in a hurry.

Dave
You know, people were having the same problem with Borders in the US. It might be possible that Sony is having their retailers do this.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasym View Post

Dave
Yup, Sale of Goods act in the UK gives you that right. Many retailers will try it on, but in the UK your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. As a consumer in the UK you never have to deal directly with the manufacturer while something is under warranty, that is the retailers responsibility.

God I miss UK consumer laws, the ones here in North America just don't cut it.
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury Tail View Post
Yup, Sale of Goods act in the UK gives you that right. Many retailers will try it on, but in the UK your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. As a consumer in the UK you never have to deal directly with the manufacturer while something is under warranty, that is the retailers responsibility.

God I miss UK consumer laws, the ones here in North America just don't cut it.
I'm not sure how that is the case. They call it the "Manufacturers Warrany". Here I would never expect a store to honor that... Unless I bought an extended warranty from the store. Or, if it was a manufacturers store like the Apple store for example.

BOb
Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
I'm not sure how that is the case. They call it the "Manufacturers Warrany". Here I would never expect a store to honor that... Unless I bought an extended warranty from the store. Or, if it was a manufacturers store like the Apple store for example.

BOb
Nope, that's how it works in the UK. The store may send it off, if you're willing to be patient, but you're under no obligations to wait while it is done so. The store deals with the manufacturer, you deal with the retailer. It's a much simpler life for the consumer.
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
dasym
Connoisseur

After three days without my Sony PRS-505 I've managed to get a new one. Waterstones wouldn't replace the one that broke because they had no stock, and I see they've now got it advertised at £224 instead of the £199 I paid for it. I managed to get one from Marks and Spencers for £195 and with a 2 year warranty rather than the standard 1 year from Waterstones.

Dave