Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 04:32 AM   #30061
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
Cancer sux, My mom is going for her second last chemotherapy treatment this coming week, after breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy, and my dad has Carcinoid and has gone over to full Carcinoid syndrome, and the doctors has told him there is nothing they can do anymore
I'm so sorry. My friend is right at that line to pass on. We are all keeping vigil.
He's so frail and his breathing shallow. It's anytime now. I'm trying to keep it together be strong my best friend who is by his side. His family is with him. He's surrounded by love.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:02 AM   #30062
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm very sorry to hear this, guys. Good luck to your loved ones, their families and friends.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 05:47 AM   #30063
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cancer can no longer hurt my friend. He has peace now after a very long painful battle he can rest.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 06-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #30064
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Cancer can no longer hurt my friend. He has peace now after a very long painful battle he can rest.

Sent from my XT1528
Here are some more hugs.
Cancer sucks big time.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #30065
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
Cancer sux, My mom is going for her second last chemotherapy treatment this coming week, after breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy, and my dad has Carcinoid and has gone over to full Carcinoid syndrome, and the doctors has told him there is nothing they can do anymore
I'm sorry for your mom's troubles, PandathePanda, and I'm very awfully sorry to hear about your dad's carcinoid syndrome. That's a very, very tough one.

On a bright note, my Gran survived not one, but THREE battles with breast cancer, and lived 25 years past it (including chemo, lumpectomy and mastectomy), so I hope that your mum is as successful as she was.

Quote:

Sent from my XT1528
I'm sorry for your loss, Blossom, but having had a few family members and friends fight that long battle, themselves, I'm glad his fight is done. That's a damned hard way to go. We had our own fight against cancer, here at my home this past year, but so far, we've been very, very lucky.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #30066
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
"Could you bring some projects from past employers to your next job application?"

I wonder why everyone keeps asking that. I'm *NOT* a graphics or website designer. Therefore I do *NOT* have a portfolio. I design systems to automate, optimize or upgrade factories, and there is *NO* employer in this world who lets me take either the design documentation, or the code after my contract or project ends.

If I did X number of projects for an employer, and all systems are up and running 5 years later, you can rest assured that this stuff is maintainable, working, and that it will keep running as long as no one actively tries to break it.

Why is it that in so many professions people don't need to prove anything beyond a diploma, but in IT, we get asked to "bring some projects" as if we're graphic designers or photographers?

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-13-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #30067
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

Why is it that in so many professions people don't need to prove anything beyond a diploma, but in IT, we get asked to "bring some projects" as if we're graphic designers or photographers?
Uhhh, could it be because they hope to use your previous work?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #30068
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Even if I could bring the code *AND* the design documents, it's of no use to them, except if they're prepared to reverse-engineer the exact machine it runs on, which is probably less cost effective than designing a new one.

Or, I could steal the design schematics created by the mechanical engineers.... nah. Not likely.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #30069
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That can happen. I recall commentary elsewhere from a developer who went to work for a competitor, and the first thing his new manager asked for was a copy of his former employer's source code for the product he maintained. She was not happy when informed he didn't have it because it was their property, he wasn't a thief, and he hadn't brought it with him.

But more likely, this request comes from HR people clueless about the nature of the job who don't understand portfolios may not and often cannot exist.

Another IT chap whose commentary I saw described an interesting job search tactic. When he responded to a job posting, he didn't send a traditional resume. He responded with his contact info and a list of his competencies, saying "This is what I can do. If you think you'd like me to do it for you, let's talk." He did not talk about former employers or provide references. If the employer was interested enough to talk to him, that could be provided in an in-person interview. When told what he was doing couldn't work, he countered with the number of in-person interviews with the hiring manager he got using it, and said "Oh, really?"
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #30070
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We need some simple brick repair. Our front step is a cement slab, over a support you can't see, which is surrounded by ugly yellow bricks. The bricks are cosmetic, and don't support the cement slab.

Over time, (the house was built in the 1940's) the mortar has crumbled and the bricks have come loose.

Finding someone to do this (what we think is a simple) repair is turning in to a real hassle.

One guy wants to use water and pumps to raise the sidewalk and the one step, back to its original position, before fixing the mortar. $$$$$$$

One guy wants to remove everything, and lay a footer 3 feet deep, before putting everything back. $$$$$$$

One guy wants to remove the brick and replace them with stone work. It won't match the rest of the house, so he proposed covering the rest of the brick around the house with thin matching stone. $$$$$$$$$$$

At this point, we are pretty sure they just don't want to sign on for such a small job. And Home Advisor keeps emailing my husband nagging for reviews for a job that hasn't been done yet.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #30071
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
We need some simple brick repair. Our front step is a cement slab, over a support you can't see, which is surrounded by ugly yellow bricks. The bricks are cosmetic, and don't support the cement slab.

Over time, (the house was built in the 1940's) the mortar has crumbled and the bricks have come loose.

Finding someone to do this (what we think is a simple) repair is turning in to a real hassle.

One guy wants to use water and pumps to raise the sidewalk and the one step, back to its original position, before fixing the mortar. $$$$$$$

One guy wants to remove everything, and lay a footer 3 feet deep, before putting everything back. $$$$$$$

One guy wants to remove the brick and replace them with stone work. It won't match the rest of the house, so he proposed covering the rest of the brick around the house with thin matching stone. $$$$$$$$$$$

At this point, we are pretty sure they just don't want to sign on for such a small job. And Home Advisor keeps emailing my husband nagging for reviews for a job that hasn't been done yet.
I had to unsubscribe to Home Advisor. That very reason.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #30072
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Why do bitchy people feel the need to spread that bitchyness to everyone else? Lady, if you hadn't been a customer and it wasn't part of my job to wait on you, I would have certainly told you off and walked away. Your brand of nastyness leaves me with no doubt as to why your husband works far away from you for more than half the year. It's probably the only reason you're still married to him.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #30073
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Expects me to sit in the dark and gets mad if I have two lights on that have 13 watt bulb in them each while he sits in his room running a 500 watt desktop computer, monitor and a LED HDTV with his light on.

When I point that out he said me charging my devices run more. B.S. 5 watts each charging even 3 devices doesn't come close. I may be bad at math but I'm not stupid.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 06-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #30074
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Expects me to sit in the dark and gets mad if I have two lights on that have 13 watt bulb in them each while he sits in his room running a 500 watt desktop computer, monitor and a LED HDTV with his light on.

When I point that out he said me charging my devices run more. B.S. 5 watts each charging even 3 devices doesn't come close. I may be bad at math but I'm not stupid.

Sent from my XT1528
As a former math tutor I can tell you that your math is correct.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #30075
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I know wrong thread, but I love my insurance company.
Once I got through the system, getting a claim number was easy. Even got a real person.
Our car was damaged in a hail storm last night. We will know where to take it by Monday evening.

We also lost our bedroom window. (No coverage there.)
There were over 100 hailstones on our bed ranging from marble to baseball size.
The siding is also damaged on the house.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness