Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-26-2019, 04:05 AM   #46
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Then get a Kobo Clara, H20, or Forma and be done with it. You search is over.
Hi Maximus,
Thanks for chiming in. Unfortunately, the Clara and Aura H20 don't fit the criteria I specified in my OP's linked Google Doc. For one, I'm looking for a larger size -- 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 or larger inches.

The Forma which you've suggested does appear to fit my requirements, so I'll include that into the list of semifinalists.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:13 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Nope, not thinking about PDFs or ODFs (I had to look that up. OpenOffice Document Format) I just want ePubs.
Sorry, that was a typo. Should have been PDF not ODF.

Quote:
As someone who's never had or used an e-reader, please indulge me: What do you make of what cvkamp says of faster page turns and faster book opens with this month's firmware update on his ereader? Isn't faster better? I'm trying to understand you and rcentos and sirtel.... Are you folks simply patient, half-glass-full folks? For me, even half a second between page turns is a lot.
It's nothing like half a second. Modern readers can turn a page in a very small fraction of a second.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #48
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
What are the downsides of an eReader running Android?
Poor battery life compared with a dedicated reader.
Once the device needs to be charged every two-three weeks it doesn't really matter.

Even my YotaPhone will last well over a week when used predominantly as an e-ink reader. Please note that I do not have SIM card inside and use WiFi only when on vacation to check weather and snow forecast, or perhaps a museum opening hours.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:21 AM   #49
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
As someone who's never had or used an e-reader, please indulge me: What do you make of what cvkamp says of faster page turns and faster book opens with this month's firmware update on his ereader? Isn't faster better? I'm trying to understand you and rcentos and sirtel.... Are you folks simply patient, half-glass-full folks? For me, even half a second between page turns is a lot.
I wasn't complaining about pageturn times even in the ancient times (2006) when I was using the Sony PRS-500. I have quickly learned to press the pageturn button while I was reading the second line from bottom. By the time I finished my last line the reader got to updating the screen - slow full inverted flash followed by new crisp page. I stopped seeing the flash before I finished my first book. I was extremely happy with my e-ink reader.

Mind you, going back to that speed / display resolution and contrast and overall clunkiness would involve some getting used to ;-), but at the time I was ecstatic about the display quality. I paid $350 for it in 2006. That is equivalent in purchasing power to $437.00 in 2019.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Once the device needs to be charged every two-three weeks it doesn't really matter.
That's certainly not been the situation with the Android eInk devices I've personally owned. They've needed to be charged every few days. Longer battery life than tablets, but not as good as many dedicated readers (although some readers do of course have longer battery lives than others!). I don't know if there are modern eInk Android devices that do have a battery life measured in weeks. If so, then I agree with you that it becomes irrelevant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Then get a Kobo Clara, H20, or Forma and be done with it. You search is over.
Quote:
Hi Maximus,
Thanks for chiming in...

The Forma which you've suggested does appear to fit my requirements, so I'll include that into the list of semifinalists.
Maximus does raise a good point. Having a list of everything you think you want the device to do before you actually own a device is perfectly understandable. But you'll be surprised how little many of those things you actually need to do when you have a device.

All ereaders at this point are pretty good. If you want one with a large screen, try the Forma. Even if it doesn't seem to check every box you have in a list, odds are you will find it works for you. Then, when you decide to buy a replacement reader, you will know what really mattered and what didn't.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #52
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My suggestion is to read the feature lists on the various low-end devices with front lights and pick the one that seems right for you. The truth is the major brands are all excellent. Asking what ereader to buy is a bit like asking what car to buy. You don't get answers. You get personal preferences.

While you're reading on the various features you might post questions about any of them you don't understand. You'll still get preferences and prejudices but reading those will help you understand the nature of the features.

Actually I'm just trying to sound open minded. Get a Kindle. It's the only decent ereader. Or get a Kobo. It's the only decent ereader. Or get a Nook. It's the only decent ereader, at least until B&N goes belly up.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #53
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Barry. Thank you for dropping by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Asking what ereader to buy is a bit like asking what car to buy. You don't get answers. You get personal preferences.
This part of your reply makes sense if all I wrote was the title of this thread.

The Google Doc I linked to, though, lists my preferences, and invites commenters to help introduce me to devices that match my preferences.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:35 PM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
This part of your reply makes sense if all I wrote was the title of this thread.

The Google Doc I linked to, though, lists my preferences, and invites commenters to help introduce me to devices that match my preferences.
Any ereader released since probably 2012/2013 meets your Google Docs list barring size so it's actually kinda useless...

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-26-2019 at 11:37 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #55
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Hi Barry. Thank you for dropping by.

I didn't read the linked document. I usually don't unless I have a good reason.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #56
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
All ereaders at this point are pretty good. If you want one with a large screen, try the Forma. Even if it doesn't seem to check every box you have in a list, odds are you will find it works for you.
I think this covers it. I went and read your requirements doc on Google, all of that stuff really reduces to one simple concept: you want a modern, dedicated e-ink reader with a screen of 8+ inches that supports epub. That rules out most of what's on the market and quickly narrows it down.

A mainstream somewhat affordable device that meets your spec is the Kobo Forma. There are similar sized devices running Android 6, but you've already said you don't want that, for instance you don't want it to have a web browser you want it to be dedicated. Since I've actually used the Forma hands on, I can recommend it. It handles everything I want quite well, including PDF's.

For PDF's, if you read a lot of them, as in every day, you are going to want a larger device for that, probably at least 10" is the consensus around here. In that case, what a lot of people do is get two devices: a separate, smaller ereader, and then a tablet say 10+" for reading PDF's, web browsing, media consumption.

The other alternative is a really large e-ink device up in the 10" range. Those don't come cheap, and the two options that come to mind are something from the Onyx Boox products, or Sony. I repeat--you aren't gonna like the prices.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #57
droopy
Guru

The Decision: Kobo Forma

My dear mom bought me an 8GB Kobo Forma.

She and I are currently in different continents, so it'll some time for the Forma to get to me.

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions. Appreciate it.

Last edited by droopy; 03-19-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #58
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:

She and I are currently in different continents, so it'll take some time to receive the Forma into my hands.

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions. Appreciate it.
Excellent choice, congrats on the new Forma. Looking forward to hear your review after using it a bit.

One tip that might save you a bit of time, it would've saved me time as a new Forma user: check out this thread on working with the .kepub ebook file format in Calibre and your Forma. The .kepub format is how you are going to get the best performance out of your Forma when using books that you purchase outside of Kobo. Calibre can 'auto-convert' epub books you have in your Calibre library to the .kepub format, makes it really easy.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #59
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Excellent choice, congrats on the new Forma. Looking forward to hear your review after using it a bit.

One tip that might save you a bit of time, it would've saved me time as a new Forma user: check out this thread on working with the .kepub ebook file format in Calibre and your Forma. The .kepub format is how you are going to get the best performance out of your Forma when using books that you purchase outside of Kobo. Calibre can 'auto-convert' epub books you have in your Calibre library to the .kepub format, makes it really easy.
Thanks, maximus83 for that link. I never heard of kepub till you mentioned it. Good to hear that using kepub means a better experience than epub.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Congrats! Kobo makes very nice readers. Do spend some time in the Kobo forum. The community is very active. Of course, it can be overwhelming to read too much before you have a reader in your hands.

Quote:
To auto-convert your ePubs to kepubs when sending them to the Forma, you'll need to add the Kobo Touch Extended driver (I believe). It is not a default behavior of Calibre, but it's very simple to do.

One nice thing is you don't have to take up space storing kepubs on your computer, when you're only ever going to use them on your Forma.

Quote:
Good to hear that using kepub means a better experience than epub.
Lots of people prefer kepub (I do myself). But some people prefer ePub. They each have advantages and disadvantages. What's nice about Kobo is that you as a user have the choice.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-19-2019 at 01:54 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote