Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you still purchase physical books?
Yes, more than eBooks. 18 9.68%
Yes, the same amount as eBooks. 4 2.15%
Yes, but less than eBooks. 47 25.27%
Yes, but only when the book is unavailable in digital format. 30 16.13%
No, but I still read physical books I already have. 43 23.12%
No, and I don't own any physical books. 19 10.22%
Other/Option not mentioned here. 33 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2022, 02:28 PM   #61
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I only buy ebooks for most things, even cookbooks now, but there are some series I want to own in hardcopy.

Which reminds me, I need to order the latest Order of the Stick book in hardcopy.

I don't cook much, but I've looked at a few ebook versions of cookbooks. One I tried to borrow from the library was such a huge file that I gave up and returned it. A couple that I bought were not really usable in ebook version due to formatting and/or the index/table of contents didn't work. I'm sticking to paper books for cookbooks.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:29 PM   #62
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

99.9% of my new reading is ebooks. I have bought a couple to finish out a series when not all the books were available as ebooks.
Advert
Old 01-31-2022, 02:32 PM   #63
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
A local charity book fair actually had to beg people to stop donating Harlequin romances and Reader's Digest Condensed Books, lol.
Maybe sneak those into the magazine rack in the waiting room at the car mechanic to supplement the typical car, hunting, outdoors magazines they have
Old 02-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #64
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Only technical books, I still prefer paper books for some references, especially if they also come with an ebook version -- some publishers give you the PDF if you buy the paper book.

As for novels and similar long-form text, I can't stand paper books anymore and every time I buy one (when the used bookstore Sirens lure me in) I end up regretting it and buying the ebook if I decide to actually read it.

EDIT: Oh, and sheet music books, but I don't really consider those "books" -- but I have a huge stack given that I play three instruments, so each requires its own stack of books.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-02-2022 at 07:35 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:10 AM   #65
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
As for novels and similar long-form text, I can't stand paper books anymore and every time I buy one (when the used bookstore Sirens lure me in) I end up regretting it and buying the ebook if I decide to actually read it.
Are you me? I love secondhand book stores but I always regret buying books there. And going to one just to browse feels weird. I'd rather must have it be on ebook.

Recently purchased an ebook of a secondhand book I was attempting to read. I also just sold off most of my books recently as I prepare to move, and most of them were secondhand books I never cracked open. Hopefully I learn my lesson this time.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2022, 02:32 AM   #66
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
(when the used bookstore Sirens lure me in)
I love used bookstores too -- but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately ) all the ones in my area shut down. I've switched to eBooks pretty much exclusively.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:58 AM   #67
ProfZamorra
ProfZamorra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe + Paperwhite 11, Tolino Epos 3 + Shine 4, Lemon Read M1
Books not available as digital edition I lend in my local library.
Forsure for new books only available as physical book I won't buy until they are a) ebook available b) library available.
ProfZamorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #68
SanchezZz
SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.SanchezZz is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: none
I love to read physical books but at this moment, I am a digital nomad and so I cannot be carrying around my book collection unless is digital. So I have bought one or two physical books in the past 2 yrs but I have bought many, probably in the 50s amount of digital books in the same time. I love to read, I mostly read nature/science related books
SanchezZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:35 AM   #69
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I still buy physical books, but I prefer ebooks. Pay more for physical, though.
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:48 PM   #70
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
Are you me? […] as I prepare to move,
I dunno, but I’m also preparing to move, so… maybe?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:53 PM   #71
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Yes. Pretty much finished my Tolkien bookshelf:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	willadams-tolkien_bookshelf1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	192230  
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:36 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And everyone knows Reader’s Digest Condensed Books are worthless, so no excuses.
They were always worthless. Who really wants censored books?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:30 AM   #73
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They were always worthless. Who really wants censored books?
Condensed ≠ censored.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Condensed ≠ censored.
Yeah, but still not good (except maybe for Les Miserables).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #75
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, but still not good (except maybe for Les Miserables).
Actually, thinking about it, most books could use being condensed at least somewhat, if you ask me.

There even is a whole genre that can be boiled down to a one liner. "Boy meets girl, lawyer lives happily on their divorce for ever."
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote