Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2022, 05:11 AM   #1
furious
furious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo Libra 2 touchscreen unresponsive after latest update

Hi, I'll preface this by saying I used to have this problem at a rate of once per month.

However, since the latest update took place, which happened when my reader was not connected to my wifi, I'm encountering the same issue multiple times a day.

The update I'm referring to is the one you can run down your finger on a page of a book you're reading to reveal the last 3 books you read - presumably to allow you to switch between books easily.

If I'm in a book, the page turning buttons still work, however the touchscreen is COMPLETELY unresponsive. If I'm on the home menu, nothing works or happens.

The only way I can get it to work is by restarting the device, multiple times, to have a modicum of a chance to have it work again.

This has been happening every day, multiple times a day - in fact every time I happen to open the reader I'm facing this again and again - for over 3 weeks precisely since this dreadful update took place autonomously.

I'm currently sitting at my desk typing this whilst seething at this atrocity.

The device was perfectly fine before that, it was my purchase of the year, and now I'm holding back to not chuck this piece of crap to a wall and smash it.

I've got ~ 200 books loaded on it, I don't fancy a factory reset - since these damned software updates happen automatically anyway.

Last edited by furious; 12-06-2022 at 05:14 AM.
furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:58 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've gone back to FW 4.32.x on Sage as there were subtle issues with current 4.34.x and the 4.33.x ones never worked properly with export Advanced Notebooks.

I decided also that the drop down is broken as newly added titles (never opened) take over the list and 3 isn't quite enough anyway. I thought it would be handy for popping between an Advanced Notebook (esp not on 1st page) and eBook, but doesn't work well enough.
Issues on 4.34.x include loss of position back to start of book unless opened from My Books (Reading), needing to cancel and re-export on Advanced Notebooks and often jumping 2 or 3 pages on page turn buttons. All epub, no kepub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2022, 05:59 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Older FW via button at bottom
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Old 12-06-2022, 06:32 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hmm... I have had no issues with either the Sage (kepubs) or the Libra (epubs) on 4.34.

And no ereader of mine has ever updated in the airplane mode. Plus, there's a patch making the device ask your permission to update. I have it installed, but have only needed it with wifi on.

Definitely disable automatic syncing in the device settings if you don't want unexpected updates.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-06-2022 at 06:35 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:00 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Also no problem here on a Libra 2 on 4.34. No way to tell whether this is a hardware problem or something else unless you're willing to do the troubleshooting steps.

This is why I load my books with Calibre and do collections management with Calibre - it's pretty trivial if I have to reload everything. (And I have way more than 200!)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2022, 07:10 AM   #6
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I decided also that the drop down is broken as newly added titles (never opened) take over the list and 3 isn't quite enough anyway. I thought it would be handy for popping between an Advanced Notebook (esp not on 1st page) and eBook, but doesn't work well enough.
I don't know about advanced notebooks (I have a Libra 2) but with only normal ebooks I don't get what the purpose of this feature is. It takes 3 taps to switch between books that way, exactly as if going to the My books screen (and yes, it could have been slightly more useful if it listed only actually opened books).
That being said, I have encountered no issues with FW 4.34
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Yes, it's even more limited value on anything other than Sage and Elipsa and doesn't really work anyway.

Try 4.32.x for Libra2 (hover on download links to see model if in doubt)
Old 12-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Definitely disable automatic syncing in the device settings if you don't want unexpected updates.
Yes! Absolutely.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #9
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

I encountered this bug last night.

If you swipe down to select a book from the old menu, but tap somewhere outside of the three books, sometimes the touchscreen won't accept any new inputs. Sleeping and turning back on doesn't work either.

However, there is one input that still works: the swipe down from the top. You can then select a book from that list, and the touchscreen comes back to life. Hope that helps as a workaround so you can be less furious, and report the bug to Kobo so maybe the next firmware will be better.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post

If you swipe down to select a book from the old menu, but tap somewhere outside of the three books, sometimes the touchscreen won't accept any new inputs. Sleeping and turning back on doesn't work either.

However, there is one input that still works: the swipe down from the top. You can then select a book from that list, and the touchscreen comes back to life. Hope that helps as a workaround so you can be less furious, and report the bug to Kobo so maybe the next firmware will be better.
I've not seen that as an issue with my Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:49 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post

I spent a while trying to reproduce this on my Libra 2, and can't.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:18 AM   #12
furious
furious began at the beginning.

Thank you all to your attentive replies, everyone.

Now, the issue I have isn't quite as the one that's suggested above.

The touchscreen on my reader is completely unresponsive, not just partially unresponsive - therefore I cannot even attempt to troubleshoot it that way.

The only way I've managed to make it work, every day for the past 3 weeks since I've encountered this issue, is by repeatedly restarting the reader. On the off chance that the touchscreen happens to function after doing so.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it works for one or two clicks, but the last time I tried this method it did not.

Except, the day I wrote this post, I spent over an hour doing so to no avail.

On Kobo's website, they seem to suggest they only accept a 30-day-after-purchase for return policies. But my item seems faulty, which leads me to think I'm entitled to a refund or a replacement.

But I can't see an email address to contact to commence this process.

I'm very very stressed over this, because my tablet (Nokia T20) that I purchased, has also become completely useless and fails to boot up. And it's been happening since the day it updates from Android 11 to Android 12.

2 gadgets suddenly and simultaneously making me livid after their respective software updates.
furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:41 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@furious, here's a quote from another post with phone numbers for Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
After trying my luck by buying another $50 gift card to see if I got another 1000 bonus points (I didn't), I decided to to check with Kobo support to get clarity on why not. I waded through the help menu and after exhausting the usual obfuscatory options, I was STUNNED to discover that there's a listing of ACTUAL PHONE NUMBERS TO CALL!

Clearing up my issue by talking with someone was almost worth the disappointment of not getting a "free" 1000 points. Here are the Anglophone countries' numbers

Call Us
Canada / US : 1-800-368-5390
Australia : 1-800-612-739
New Zealand : 0-800-466-458
Ireland : 1-800-902-221
United Kingdom : 0-800-404-9511
Give Kobo a call if you can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:55 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I've phoned Kobo. Very helpful. Numbers are on their website.
The 30 day is only friendly and needs you to pay shipping, in EU and many other countries it's 1 year and Kobo will pay shipping if it's actually faulty.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:59 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by furious View Post
The only way I've managed to make it work, every day for the past 3 weeks since I've encountered this issue, is by repeatedly restarting the reader. On the off chance that the touchscreen happens to function after doing so.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it works for one or two clicks, but the last time I tried this method it did not.

Except, the day I wrote this post, I spent over an hour doing so to no avail. .
Have you done a factory reset yet?