Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2022, 02:24 PM   #271
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
My order is still saying 26 October to 16 November.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
I've now been given an estimated delivery date of 19th October, day after tomorrow!

John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #272
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've now been given an estimated delivery date of 19th October, day after tomorrow!

Very nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2022, 10:44 AM   #273
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Very nice.
It's arrived.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #274
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
It's arrived.

Set it up last night and sideloaded my first thousand books or so. Amazing how you forget how small a 6 inch Kobo is when you are used to 7 and 8 inches. It feels tiny at the moment.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:29 PM   #275
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Set it up last night and sideloaded my first thousand books or so. Amazing how you forget how small a 6 inch Kobo is when you are used to 7 and 8 inches. It feels tiny at the moment.

It is tiny. I see the 6" screen of a PW3 and to me it does look small. I'm used to 6.8/7" screens. If the price is good for the PW5, I may be replacing someone's PW3 with a PW5 (as a Christmas gift).
Advert
Old 10-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #276
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...If the price is good for the PW5, I may be replacing someone's PW3 with a PW5 (as a Christmas gift).
Wasn't it just on sale?

For me, I'm waiting for the Clara 2 to go on sale. I think it's time to replace the Glowlight 3 that has had database corruption since I bought it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #277
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wasn't it just on sale?

For me, I'm waiting for the Clara 2 to go on sale. I think it's time to replace the Glowlight 3 that has had database corruption since I bought it.
It may have been. But I wasn't thinking this at that time. There will be other sales before Christmas.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #278
Pjama
Fanatic
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Clara 2E
I just ordered this from Amazon - arrives tomorrow! My local library has just added a bunch of French e-books - first time they have had French books to borrow that are not language learning. After a frustrating afternoon trying to load the epubs into Calibre, I have given up and am getting this as my back-up reader. Will be nice to use the kobo software again - I like how they handle books, authors etc.

By the way, the Nia is $65 on Walmart right now, I was tempted, but I know the lack of warm light and the 212 resolution will bother me. No cover ordered as yet, will wait for third party cover this time, as Kobo cover I previously had when I had the Libra 2 eroded at the corners, so I'll be going cheap and cheerful.

Last edited by Pjama; 10-20-2022 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Changed $60 to $65
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:23 AM   #279
Soovee
Soovee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdc8ImCvXiA

He complains about some ghosting issues. Does this happen to y'all too?
Soovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:01 PM   #280
Aleron Ives
Addict
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The ghosting is specifically related to highlighting. When you highlight, you're drawing a giant black rectangle over the text you highlight, and when you turn the page, there will be ghosting from that rectangle. If you highlight a lot, you'll need to use a frequent page refresh setting, the way he does.

If you're just reading normally without highlighting anything, then there are no ghosting problems. The Carta 1200 screen has minimal ghosting for normal reading purposes.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:08 PM   #281
Pjama
Fanatic
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Clara 2E
Mine arrived, and it’s a lovely little reader. Very pleased with it as a replacement for my 2019 Kindle Basic. Downloaded the new French library books which cannot be read in Kindle form. (By the way, since a recent software update, I could no longer read my 2019 Basic without motion sickness, it seemed the processor could not handle the page turns the same as before - it just looked fuzzy etc.)
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #282
Chrona93
Chrona93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
So is there confirmation that taking off the back cover will not ruin the water-proofing? And is the only way to get it off by using a nylon spudger? Original Clara HD seems to come off easy with my thumb nail, but 2E is quite tightly attached. Anything else I could use as a substitute for spudger?
Chrona93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 09:42 AM   #283
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrona93 View Post
So is there confirmation that taking off the back cover will not ruin the water-proofing? And is the only way to get it off by using a nylon spudger? Original Clara HD seems to come off easy with my thumb nail, but 2E is quite tightly attached. Anything else I could use as a substitute for spudger?

There have been comments (over the years and for different ebook readers) that a charge card will sometimes work.

In my own experience, on other ebook readers, I find that charge cards are too thick for initial use.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:32 PM   #284
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
Quote:

I was really happy going back to the smaller form factor when I bought my Clara HD a few months ago. I still love it. Much nicer for travel. It slips easily into my back pocket.
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:37 PM   #285
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHughes View Post
I was really happy going back to the smaller form factor when I bought my Clara HD a few months ago. I still love it. Much nicer for travel. It slips easily into my back pocket.
Sit! Crack! Nothing to read.