Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I wish they made apple watches for larger wrists for women. There is a larger apple band but obviously a man's band. I want a watch that automatically comes with a large band. I need 8.5" or larger
You can change the bands on the Apple Watch, I've bought many third party bands for mine and all have worked perfectly. I actually need smaller bands due to very small wrists...mine wrist measures 6". Finding watches that work well for me has always a challenge, because I don't care for "bangle" style.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 14PM, Kindle Paperwhite SE, iPad mini 6, PocketBook Era
It’s unlikely that blood pressure or glucose monitoring can be done with a watch, even by throwing every AI/ML trick in the book at it. Glucose monitors need to get blood sample somehow, so unless there are little needles in the back of the watch...

You can certainly get HealthKit enabled BP or glucose measuring devices so the readings can be tracked with your phone. O2 seems doable, as FitBit does that, right?

As I said there before, are many choices for bands with 3rd parties for the very reason that Apple’s don’t fit everyone or are too costly.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #18
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
...As I said there before, are many choices for bands with 3rd parties for the very reason that Apple’s don’t fit everyone or are too costly.
Seems rather stupid to pay hundreds of dollars for a fancy watch then have to shell out even more money to 3rd party vendors because the Apple bands don’t fit right or operate well. Just saying...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Seems rather stupid to pay hundreds of dollars for a fancy watch then have to shell out even more money to 3rd party vendors because the Apple bands don’t fit right or operate well. Just saying...
It's not just because they don't fit right or operate well. One can get 3rd party bands for a lot of watches. Not everyone likes exactly the same band.

You could make the same argument about a bed liner for your pick up truck, or seat covers for your couch, floor mats for your car. There are a bunch of expensive items that support 3rd party add-ons.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #20
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE, Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
An O2 saturation sensor is actually something that is compelling for a lot of people. As you get older, many people buy O2 saturation devices since it's a key indicator of heart or lung issues.
I have one.. the stick it on your finger kind. I wont be upgrading my Watch this year, because I did that last year, went from a Series 1 to Series 5. I had heard they might include some sleep tracking in a new device, and that might be nice, although I do like the apps I currently use, in any case.

I had to go visit an Apple Genius yesterday, got some fluff in the charge port of my newish SE (2020 model) and couldnt charge it up. what I noticed was a dearth of computers. There was only one imac, one mini with an LG screen, and a couple of macbook pro/air. Everything was about ipads and iphones.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
We are Apple users...and I love my Apple Watch 3. My favorite thing about the watch is the ability to have all my store cards on the watch in the Stocard app, and being able to pay using Apple Pay. Not having to dig in my purse for the store card key cards and a credit card is great. Being able to remove all of those key ring cards from my key ring and touchless payments are a real benefit.

Reading & sending texts, tracking activity, answering phone calls, setting timers, checking calendars, all at my wrist? So cool and very handy.

That said, I never watch Apple events. I'd much rather read about the new devices or new firmware. I'd love a new phone and watch, but we've been an open wallet this month with small home improvements, no refund on a 4 day vacation we couldn't go on, and that new sewing machine. Not counting what medical bills we will end up with from hubby's appendectomy.

Hubby needs a new phone, and he is hoping work will help with that, since he's been using his personal phone for work since March 15th, and it's showing signs of battery failure. It's an iPhone 6.
It's a ot cheaper to replace the battery for $49 (US) then to buy a new phone. The iPhone SE is a nice phone for the money. As for Stocard, I find it it a lot easier to use it on my iPhone then my watch. Same goes for Apple pay.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dick Tracy eat your heart out!
Only if you can do video calls from your watch will that statement work.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's a ot cheaper to replace the battery for $49 (US) then to buy a new phone. The iPhone SE is a nice phone for the money.
It’s cheaper right now. However, the performance of the 6 leaves a lot to be desired plus it’s no longer getting iOS updates. Best to just use the funds for a more up to date phone such as the SE2 in the long run.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It’s cheaper right now. However, the performance of the 6 leaves a lot to be desired plus it’s no longer getting iOS updates. Best to just use the funds for a more up to date phone such as the SE2 in the long run.
I have the SE2 and I like it. It replaced my 6s.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a ot cheaper to replace the battery for $49 (US) then to buy a new phone. The iPhone SE is a nice phone for the money. As for Stocard, I find it it a lot easier to use it on my iPhone then my watch. Same goes for Apple pay.
The issue is that the iPhone 6 is stuck on iOS 12, and along with that some app support may drop off as well. The case for replacing battery is weaker. iPhone SE is still supported, and yes, it still rocks.

I find Watch more convenient than iPhone for Apple Pay most of the time.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It’s unlikely that blood pressure or glucose monitoring can be done with a watch, even by throwing every AI/ML trick in the book at it. Glucose monitors need to get blood sample somehow, so unless there are little needles in the back of the watch...
I believe there's ongoing research for glucose monitoring via sweat. Accuracy is still a problem.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The issue is that the iPhone 6 is stuck on iOS 12, and along with that some app support may drop off as well. The case for replacing battery is weaker. iPhone SE is still supported, and yes, it still rocks.

I find Watch more convenient than iPhone for Apple Pay most of the time.
The SE was just released this year. So of course it's still supported. The iPhone 6s on up will get iOS 14 updates.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I have one.. the stick it on your finger kind. I wont be upgrading my Watch this year, because I did that last year, went from a Series 1 to Series 5. I had heard they might include some sleep tracking in a new device, and that might be nice, although I do like the apps I currently use, in any case.

I had to go visit an Apple Genius yesterday, got some fluff in the charge port of my newish SE (2020 model) and couldnt charge it up. what I noticed was a dearth of computers. There was only one imac, one mini with an LG screen, and a couple of macbook pro/air. Everything was about ipads and iphones.
It's been that way for a while. Apple will continue to support computers and put out updates, but it's really a pretty small market compared to iPhones and iPads. I can do at least 90% of what I need to do on an iPad rather than a laptop, especially with the Apple keyboard case. I have an iMac (27 inch) and like the big screen. It makes having multiple windows on the screen easy, which helps when I'm researching something. I use it to hold copies of all my digital content (books, movies, music, photos). But many people are fine just having that sort of stuff in the cloud and don't really need a computer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
It's been that way for a while. Apple will continue to support computers and put out updates, but it's really a pretty small market compared to iPhones and iPads.
Yep, although a big part of that is Windows still dominates desktop and laptop sales. Iirc, Macs account for just 10-15% of the consumer desktop OS market.

Back when Apple still reported unit sales in their SEC filings, I think their annual sales were around 200 million iPhones, 50 million iPads and 20 million Macs.

Quote:
The SE was just released this year. So of course it's still supported. The iPhone 6s on up will get iOS 14 updates.
The first iPhone SE was released in 2016. Basically 4" iPhone 5s body with iPhone 6S brains (A9/2GB). That's still supported and will be getting iOS 14.

We've got some A9-based devices in the household and they're holding up quite well. Even the 6-year old Air 2 works fine for the most part.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The SE2 was released this year, but the original SE is still supported.