Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
borf
borf began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO CLARA HD
Night mode ?

HI
I'm looking information about the "night mode" for the Kobo Clara HD, without any issue... it is too early or it was never done ?
thankyou very much
borf
borf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
There are two ways. One is described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=212162

The other is to go to the Search box on your Kobo, and, as long as you have a local search (not the Kobo store or Wikipedia) selected, type this in, and press enter:

DevModeOn

Nothing will SEEM to have happened, but when you go to the main settings menu (the one accessible from the home screen) and select Settings | Device Information | Developer Options (which would NOT have been there before you did the Search command above), you'll see an "Invert Screen" checkbox.

All best wishes.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A third way is using the Kobo patcher. This allows you to replace the Show Adobe EPUB Page numbers toggle in Reading Settings with an Invert screen option.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-25-2020 at 12:05 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A third way is using the Kobo patcher. This allows you to replace the Show Adobe EPUB Page numbers toggle in Reading Settings with an Invert screen option.
This is my preferred method as I don't have to run any additional software and teh devmodeon creates log files. This is the best way to do night mode (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
borf

thankyou very much!
with the 2° solution, Robert, invert seems ok!
but for the "Kobo patcher" I have to read a lot of post before use it !
a question is not clear: to install the patch I have to install a differnt firmware, and to do this is possible to come back?
thanks again for your great job
borf
Advert
Old 02-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post
thankyou very much!
with the 2° solution, Robert, invert seems ok!
but for the "Kobo patcher" I have to read a lot of post before use it !
a question is not clear: to install the patch I have to install a differnt firmware, and to do this is possible to come back?
thanks again for your great job
borf
You do have to install the latest firmware, The 4.19.x firmware. Then you can install the patches.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Each firmware has its own set of patches in Kobopatch.
It is not necessary to change the firmware, You simply must apply the correct patches for Your firmware. If I remember correctly You can also return to a earlier firmware.

But, in my opinion, the last firmware is the better one (well there is the little bug with font sharpness changes that are not shown in epub unless You shut down and fire on again the device but it is not so important).

The advantage of the patch method is that once You learned to patch the Kobo, and it is not so difficult, You have a myriad of choices to get Your device to fit better Your preferences.

The only drawback is that You won't have anymore the possibility of showing the Adobe page number in Epub but they are in a strange position on the screen that sometimes overlay the text in the right part of it.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Each firmware has its own set of patches in Kobopatch.
It is not necessary to change the firmware, You simply must apply the correct patches for Your firmware. If I remember correctly You can also return to a earlier firmware.

But, in my opinion, the last firmware is the better one (well there is the little bug with font sharpness changes that are not shown in epub unless You shut down and fire on again the device but it is not so important).

The advantage of the patch method is that once You learned to patch the Kobo, and it is not so difficult, You have a myriad of choices to get Your device to fit better Your preferences.

The only drawback is that You won't have anymore the possibility of showing the Adobe page number in Epub but they are in a strange position on the screen that sometimes overlay the text in the right part of it.
The new firmware is needed because of the patch for night mode is only available on the new firmware. So yes, 4.19.x has to be installed.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
In kobopatch_4.17.13651.zip I found that patch. I did not check earlier Kobopatch.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In kobopatch_4.17.13651.zip I found that patch. I did not check earlier Kobopatch.
But you really do not want to run that instead of 4.19.x. I've run both and this is from experience.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:58 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Koreader also has night mode.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
borf

Yes, the Kobo Clara hd firmware is 4.19.
You have cleared my doubt, I thought I need to flash a customer bios to install the patch !
Thankyou for your cortesy, I know anyone arrive here tray to jump all the post to avoid to read all , it is the first think maybe, I have read something but not all yet

ciao grazie !!
borf
Old 02-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The new firmware is needed because of the patch for night mode is only available on the new firmware. So yes, 4.19.x has to be installed.
Quote:
4.12.12111 also has the patch.

So, only 4.19.x; except 4.17.13651, and 4.12.12111, and most likely every firmware in between, and maybe some before 4.12.12111.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
The other is to go to the Search box on your Kobo, and, as long as you have a local search (not the Kobo store or Wikipedia) selected, type this in, and press enter:

DevModeOn

Nothing will SEEM to have happened, but when you go to the main settings menu (the one accessible from the home screen) and select Settings | Device Information | Developer Options (which would NOT have been there before you did the Search command above), you'll see an "Invert Screen" checkbox.
I didn't know about that. Thanks! I'm guessing this only works on the newer Kobos (it worked on my Aura 2, but not on my Aura HD or Mini).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't know about that. Thanks! I'm guessing this only works on the newer Kobos (it worked on my Aura 2, but not on my Aura HD or Mini).
It should work on all devices. But, the "Developer Options" screen was added later. I think in the early 4.x version, but, it might have been earlier. In the older versions, it turned on some debug logging and a few other things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote