Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
PW1 vs PW3

I have a Kindle PW1 and have been pretty happy with it. But it does feel a tad slow at time. I didn't think the PW2 was worth upgrading to, but with the PW3 having a higher res screen I am thinking about it now.

How much faster and more responsive is the PW3 vs the PW1?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quite a bit. It's like a pageturn takes a blink of an eye, vs 1.5 blinks of the eye.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I just did this upgrade myself. Noticeable speed improvement when long holding for definitions and xray. Text is also much more crisp and I am liking the bookerly font.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #4
Stunatra
Enthusiast
Stunatra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been thinking about upgrading my PW1 as well but mine works fine as it is. I'd like the Bookerly font though.
Stunatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Haven't Amazon released the 5.6.5 firmware for the PW1? That's what contains the Bookerly font.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2015, 05:13 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
No Bookerly font. My PW1 upgraded today when I finally connected to WiFi. It only has the original fonts.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:19 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What firmware version did it upgrade to, Blossom?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's now at 5.6.1.1. I had to do a factory reset after it upgraded. It became basically unusable. I had previously had the firmware that allowed custom fonts without jailbreak. It works fine after the reset. I still don't like reading on it. I've been reading on my K3 instead till my Kobo HD Glo gets here.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I now have all three Paperwhites. I bought the PW3 while it was on sale. I'm currently using it and I read most of my last book on it. I also have a Voyage. I rotate among all of them fairly often but I read a little more with the Voyage than the others.

When I get to the PW1 I immediately notice how much slower it is and then half an hour later it's just another Kindle. While it is slower I quickly get used to it and forget about that.

When I compare all of my Kindles side by side the screen that looks best to me is the screen on the PW2. I realize it's lower resolution but I really can't tell that. It's color seems a little better to me. When actually reading on any of them they all seem perfect.

I think what happened is that ereaders have just gotten so good that the differences in them matter very little. I also have a couple of Kobo's which I don't like as well as the Kindles but even so they're excellent for reading. I'm as happy reading on them as the Kindles. The only time the differences stand out is when comparing them.

I think I'm figuring out that the device just has to be good enough and the rest is up to the author. It's really the book that matters.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote