Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 2 XL, Basic Kindle
Where is the (modified) metadata?

I'll bet this has been covered somewhere, but searching for it seems hopeless so far, so I apologize if I missed the answer elsewhere.

I have a book with modified metadata/cover. When I use CC to add that book to my Android phone, I see the modified metadata and cover on my phone when browsing with CC. I have CC put the book into a directory called "ebooks", which is where my ebook reader, Moonreader+, looks for its books.

When I open the book in Moonreader, I don't see the modified metadata or cover. It seems that CC, like Calibre, must store the metadata in its own directory. Is this true?

I know that (supposedly) if I use Calibre to send the file to my phone, it writes the metadata to the file. Is there a way to get CC to do this?
Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Guy View Post
I'll bet this has been covered somewhere, but searching for it seems hopeless so far, so I apologize if I missed the answer elsewhere.

I have a book with modified metadata/cover. When I use CC to add that book to my Android phone, I see the modified metadata and cover on my phone when browsing with CC. I have CC put the book into a directory called "ebooks", which is where my ebook reader, Moonreader+, looks for its books.

When I open the book in Moonreader, I don't see the modified metadata or cover. It seems that CC, like Calibre, must store the metadata in its own directory. Is this true?

I know that (supposedly) if I use Calibre to send the file to my phone, it writes the metadata to the file. Is there a way to get CC to do this?
CC gets its metadata from calibre, including everything you have changed. Every time you connect as a wireless device calibre sends metadata changes.

The metadata in the book itself, which is what Moon+ sees, may or may not be updated. Calibre tries hard to update the metadata in the book when it is first sent to CC, but there are reasons why it might fail.

After the book file is sent calibre makes no effort to update the metadata in the book. CC will never attempt to update the metadata in a book. If you want the book files themselves to be updated with metadata changes then you must a) in calibre "polish" the book so that the metadata in the book file is updated, and b) use CC's update books function to download book files that have changed since the first time.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 2 XL, Basic Kindle
Thanks Charles,

Good information. CC itself does have all the right metadata, and when I make a change to the metadata in Calibre, then CC will get it when i connect.

As far as seeing it in Moon+, I guess it's not super important, just would be nice if it was available to the reader. I can see it may not be possible except by embedding the metadata into the book file itself (usually epub), but I don't know much about the various formats.

Last edited by Tech Guy; 09-14-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
You can force a metadata update inside of the book via plugins or via an epub to epub conversion. I use an old-ish epub polisher add-on which predates that stuff getting added to calibre editor.
it has a preferences screen for what gets tweaked or polished and what is left alone. I use it to update toc after an edit, it also does add, replace cover...

You may need to use moon readers own delete option to also remove old metadata from moons database. Then re-add the book

Last edited by stumped; 09-15-2018 at 08:27 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote