Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Robik
Robik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Adding new dictionaries to kobo.

1. Adding a new language to Kobo.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=44

Add an "ExtraLocales=(iso 639-1 language code)" in the file eReader.conf

You have a new language on the list.

2. Copy the dictionary files to Kobo.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196931
KOBO requires a special file naming for dictionaries.
Example: dicthtml-en-pl.zip - from english to polish.
Rename files and copy to "\.kobo\dict\".

3. Update database file.
I use Sqlite Manager plugin for Mozilla Firefox.
Open \.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite file.
(Database->Connect database -> indicate file KoboReader.sqlite).
In the left window find Tables -> Dictionary.

In the right window click "Add".

Sufix- file name without "dicthtml".
Name- name on the list of dictionaries.
Installed-true.
Size- file size in BYTES.
Issynced- true.
Click OK 2 times.

Close the database file (Database->Close Database).
Congratulations, you have a new dictionary.

Sorry for my english.

Last edited by Robik; 04-06-2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: missing pictures
Robik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Perfect!

surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
pipcat
Connoisseur
pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo Hd
Thx, I did that to add Catalan dictionary.
When reading a catalan book i can press on a word and get its meaning, nice! ;-)

But if a made a search to dictionaries from main screen, there is a bug ;-(
If I select “Extra: ca” language shows “English - English” and word is not found.

On the other hand, French dictionary does'nt appear on dictionaries when searching, although I have it installed, and works well when reading a french book. !?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	1633
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	148264   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	1485
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	148265   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	1478
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	148266   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_005.png
Views:	1221
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	148267  
pipcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipcat View Post
On the other hand, French dictionary does'nt appear on dictionaries when searching, although I have it installed, and works well when reading a french book. !?
This is a licensing issue. The license that Kobo have the the French and the Dutch dictionaries means they are not allowed to search them like this. Selecting a word in a book is all they are allowed to do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
pipcat
Connoisseur
pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why delete post ? It's interesting... ;-)

With a little bit of luck, but I found a way to search in Extra dictionary!

I overwrote italian dictionary with a second catalan dictionary, and I wanted to change "Italiano" string in libnickel.so.1.0.0. Respecting the same number of characters I changed to "Català 2". After applying patch, when searching in "Italiano/Català 2" from main menu I couldn't search and "English - English" was show (like with Extra: ca, as I told in previous post).
So I changed "Català 2" to "Català_2" and everything goes well without the space character!

In the same way I tried to change "Extra: " to "Extra::" and now searches from main menu to Extra dictionary are ok ;-)

Spoiler:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Allow searches on Extra dictionary`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# To allow searches on Extra dictionary change space character at end of "Extra: " to another char (ex: "Extra::")
# The space char causes a non-desired "English - English" when searching on Extra dictionary from main menu.
#
#replace_bytes = BA9478, 20, 3A
find_base_address = `\0E\0x\0t\0r\0a\0:\0\x20`
replace_string = 000d, `\x20`, `:`
</Patch>

Last edited by pipcat; 05-04-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Move patch to Spoiler
Advert
Old 05-05-2016, 04:11 AM   #6
pipcat
Connoisseur

As surquizu remarked to me, with this new patch to allow searches on extra dictionaries, we can install many custom dictionaries and there is no need to replace existing ones. We can also make a copy of French and Dutch dictionaries as "Extra", so license issue will not apply and search will be allowed.

1- Apply patch to libnickel.so.1.0.0
Spoiler:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Allow searches on Extra dictionaries`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# To allow searches on Extra dictionaries change space character at end of "Extra: " to another char (ex: "Extra:_")
# The space char causes a non-desired "English - English" when searching on Extra dictionary from main menu.
#
#replace_bytes = BA9478, 20, 5F
#
replace_string = 000d, `\x20`, `_`
</Patch>

2- We need a two chars code for each dictionary. If language doesn't exists on Kobo we can use its ISO-639-1 (Ex: Catalan => ca), otherwise we will assign a new fictitious code (Ex: English => e2, e3. French => f2).

3- Edit \.kobo\KoboKobo eReader.conf and fill ExtraLocales
ExtraLocales=ca, e2, e3, f2

4- Copy dictionary files to \.kobo\dict
dicthtml-ca.zip, dicthtml-e2.zip, dicthtml-e3.zip, dicthtml-f2.zip

5- Open db \.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite and insert rows on Dictionary table
-ca Català
-e2 English second dictionary
-e3 English third
-f2 Français bis

Last edited by pipcat; 07-29-2016 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Patch in step 1 is for libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch file
Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 AM   #7
sage79
Enthusiast
sage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: kobo glo
Is possible to remove the official dictionary name from the popup that appear when it is tapped a word?

Fonte: Merriam-Webster's etc.. ?
sage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

In the same way I tried to change "Extra: " to "Extra::" and now searches from main menu to Extra dictionary are ok ;-)

Spoiler:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Allow searches on Extra dictionary`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# To allow searches on Extra dictionary change space character at end of "Extra: " to another char (ex: "Extra::")
#
#replace_bytes = BA9478, 20, 3A
replace_string = 000d, `\x20`, `:`
</Patch>
Is it possible to use a non-breaking space (\xa0) instead of : or _?
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
pipcat
Connoisseur

I didn't tried, but you can do and tell us ;-)
I suppose here \xa0 will be ok because text seems utf-16 and non-breaking space is \x00\xa0.
But if elsewhere text were utf-8, non-breaking space is \xc2\a0, then we must be careful because it needs two bytes instead of one (if replacing a space, _, :).
Old 06-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I didn't tried, but you can do and tell us ;-)
Yes, it works:-) Just used a hex editor to replace "00 20" by "00 A0" in a quick 'n dirty approach.

BTW, it seems that for languages that are already part of the firmware (e.g. en, it, de, fr) additional dictionaries that contain these languages in other combinations (e.g. de-it or it-fr) work out-of-the-box for looking up a word in a book as soon as you copy them to .kobo/dict. You even don't have to add the ExtraLocales entry in "Kobo eReader.conf" or add them to the database (but adding them to the database makes them available as dictionary in settings and for looking up words in the dictionary).
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
You even don't have to add the ExtraLocales entry in "Kobo eReader.conf" or add them to the database (but adding them to the database makes them available as dictionary in settings and for looking up words in the dictionary).
Strange how differently it seems to be for some people. I have not a single dictionary in the database and all dictionaries that are in the dict folder are working as expected. For ExtraLocales to be fully functional however, I need the entry in the "Kobo eReader.conf", and the change to libnickel.so.1.0.0, as proposed by pipcat.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
Quote:
1- Apply patch
Spoiler:
<Patch>
...</Patch>
Can you please also add that your patch has to go into the libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch file? After I figured that out, installing a user dictionary as e2, updating the SQLite database, and patching the firmware was relatively straightforward.

I now have the WordNet dictionary installed, your concise description was of valuable help!
eenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #13
kobook
kobook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, PW3
Only two digits fictitious codes seems to work, so not "en1" and "new", only "e1" and "n1"

Work those dictionaries on kobo in two directions?

Can an dicthtml-e1-n1.zip be used to translate n1 to e1, or only e1 to n1?

Last edited by kobook; 02-11-2017 at 01:49 PM.
kobook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@kobook, it depends on what operating system you use.

I use SQL Expert Personal 4.2 on Windows, and the sqlite3 CLI tool on Kobo itself.

You can get the sqlite3 binary from helour's post's attachment for example:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=88
Get AllInOne-sk.tgz and it's there.

You can also read the scripts contained within to learn how to create an automated upgrade file to add the dictionary, I did that myself, (thank you helour!).
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
kobook
kobook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, PW3
Thanks kido.resuri

On Mac I tried the above suggested plugin for firefox.

I'll take a look on the scripts descriptions.
kobook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionaries, kobo, languages