Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-19-2016, 04:30 AM   #1
snk4ever
snk4ever began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o
Changing the gesture to adjust front-light on Kobo h2o

Hi,

On a Kobo h2o, I have to use a menu to change the front light settings.
Is there a way I can redefine a single-touch gesture for this ? I don't use swipes to change pages or chapters.

I'm fine with editing config files or even source files if necessary, I would need a pointer on where to look at.
snk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can swipe the left most side of the screen to adjust the light. Up for more light and down for less/no light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
This is something that works in nickel, but it doesn't work in Koreader. And here we're speaking about koreader.

And I don't know if we can make our own gestures do something.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
As a workaround, you could use my old light and shutdown button mod. It adds an additional icon for these functions to the reader menu. On my H20 I feel there's enough screen real estate for both additional icons.

On the smaller devices, space is more scarce, and I've actually made versions that use only one of these icons some time ago. But never got around to releasing them. They're included here. The shutdown version is also updated for KSM8.

Instructions included, as is the original version for switching back.

Haven't tested recently, but think it should work with most recent koreader. Report back if it doesn't.
Attached Files
File Type: zip koreader-shutdown-lighttoggle-0216.zip (16.7 KB, 462 views)

Last edited by xor_; 02-19-2016 at 06:02 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
djalma
djalma doesn't litterdjalma doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
This is something that works in nickel, but it doesn't work in Koreader. And here we're speaking about koreader.
It is really working, at least in a Kobo Glo HD, but you need to do the same gesture you did in nickel using 2 fingers instead of only 1. In resume: Default gesture to change light in koreader: Use 2 fingers in a vertical movement (You don't need to do it necessarialy in the left place of the screen like in nickel)

Regards.

Last edited by djalma; 02-19-2016 at 09:25 PM.
djalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalma View Post
It is really working, at least in a Kobo Glo HD,
Just tested it. It doesn't work for my H20, koreader 2015.11.3 (stable). Maybe there's difference in devices, or in newer koreader version.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
jonch919
jonch919 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
A bump for this question. Can't adjust frontlight either in Koreader by using the two-finger gesture.
Any tips to get it working?
jonch919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The thing is, Multi-touch is only supposed to work on the 6" Aura, not on the other Kobos. Someone should look into why/how it is working on the Glo HD. Perhaps it could lead to having it work on other devices.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
jonch919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The thing is, Multi-touch is only supposed to work on the 6" Aura, not on the other Kobos. Someone should look into why/how it is working on the Glo HD. Perhaps it could lead to having it work on other devices.

Luck;
Ken
Do you mean in Koreader specifically? It works well to pinch and zoom within Nickel.
Is there a swith in Koreader settings to activate multi-touch and try? Can't find any setting in the advanced settings.
Would it be possible to assign another gesture to control brightness in Koreader? For instance swiping on the left as it works in Nickel?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonch919 View Post
Do you mean in Koreader specifically? It works well to pinch and zoom within Nickel.
Is there a swith in Koreader settings to activate multi-touch and try? Can't find any setting in the advanced settings.
Would it be possible to assign another gesture to control brightness in Koreader? For instance swiping on the left as it works in Nickel?
There is a double tap setting, that could be enabled. You can get a better understanding of the default settings is you use Notepad++ and read the green notes that accompany the settings in the defaults.lua file.

There was once a hack that enabled a two finger light control, but it eventually became incompatible with the launching process. The IR touchscreen has only a partial support for multi-touch. There have been open issues in the project at Github, asking for it, I am not sure anyone is working on it right now though.

I am not a Pocketbook owner, so I don't know how hardware related things work with the Pocketbook version of KOReader.

Luck;
Ken

This issue and discussion at Github might describe the situation better.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-21-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
jonch919

Quote:
There is a double tap setting, that could be enabled. You can get a better understanding of the default settings is you use Notepad++ and read the green notes that accompany the settings in the defaults.lua file.

There was once a hack that enabled a two finger light control, but it eventually became incompatible with the launching process. The IR touchscreen has only a partial support for multi-touch. There have been open issues in the project at Github, asking for it, I am not sure anyone is working on it right now though.

I am not a Pocketbook owner, so I don't know how hardware related things work with the Pocketbook version of KOReader.

Luck;
Ken
Hi Ken,
I have the Kobo Aura HD, not the Pocketbook.
I think it has a capacitive screen?
I've looked through the settings file with Notepad++. There is a toggle for "double click", but there is no connection to the flontlight?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonch919 View Post
Hi Ken,
I have the Kobo Aura HD, not the Pocketbook.

I think it has a capacitive screen?
I've looked through the settings file with Notepad++. There is a toggle for "double click", but there is no connection to the flontlight?
Not according to the devices you list.

The Aura HD has an IR touchscreen. The 6" Aura uses a capacitive screen.

Right that part would need to be created, probably as a widget, and recent frontlight efforts have been somewhat problematic. (Having the intensity match whatever it was in Nickel, for instance.) The code to effect the light would be in the device power functions.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-21-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
jonch919

Quote:
Not according to the devices you list.

The Aura HD has an IR touchscreen. The 6" Aura uses a capacitive screen.

Right that part would need to be created, probably as a widget, and recent frontlight efforts have been somewhat problematic. (Having the intensity match whatever it was in Nickel, for instance.) The code to effect the light would be in the device power functions.

Luck;
Ken
Aah, sorry about that.. Have updated my device list now.
(Actually got an Inkpad first, but the screen was too bad. The Aura H2O is way better.)
I understand the issue.. Yes the H2O has IR-touch as well, I mixed it up with the Inkpad myself too.
Should I raise the question at Github instead? Maybe ask for way to use one-finger swipe instead of two-finger swipe for frontlight?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

It looks like the issue has been added to the next stable release milestone. The stable releases have been dated in April and November.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #15
jonch919

Thanks Ken!