Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
Preview/Book View and Stylesheet Errors

I was editing my book in Sigil, and everything looked good in the preview. When I put the book on my Kobo, chapter titles were missing.

It finally dawned on me that I might have a bad stylesheet, so I ran the stylesheet checker. Sure enough, I set a font height to 1.5, instead of 1.5em.

I understand that different e-pub readers do different things to work with poorly formatted books. But when I am in Sigil, it would be nice if the preview was more strict, not forgiving.

My bad for not running a stylesheet check every time, like I run an e-pub check. But if the preview looked like my Kobo, I would have caught this sooner.
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
As I understand it the standards say that if a CSS style is incorrect or otherwise undecipherable the app/device is supposed to degrade gracefully eg. it should ignore just that particular styling. Unfortunately not all devices/apps are compliant with the standards.

The question that comes to mind is: Was the preview pane compliant by ignoring the incorrect css, or was kobo compliant by not displaying the header at all??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There is no switch we can throw to tell WebKit to be "less forgiving" about css syntax errors.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I recommend using ADE for PC as the "Canary in the Coal Mine".
I use old version 2 for just this reason -- if there is even one stylesheet error, the formatting ALL displays as default. (I am not sure if newer versions 3 and 4 still behave this way.)

I load my epub in ADE, and if there is any formatting failure, I pop back to Sigil, hunt for and fix error, save changes--- then go back to ADE, return to Library, and hit the Read button again to refresh the load. Rinse, lather, repeat until all errors are repaired.

Some of the most frustrating to find were a missing semi-colon, an extra hyphen, mis-matched capitalization. Missing or extra curly braces can do a number on you.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I recommend using ADE for PC as the "Canary in the Coal Mine".
I use old version 2 for just this reason -- if there is even one stylesheet error, the formatting ALL displays as default. (I am not sure if newer versions 3 and 4 still behave this way.)
I'm reverted to using ADE 2 after a failed attempt to use ADE 3 -- it deregistered every second time I used it and never got to trying 4.5. However, ADE 3 did the same error in stylesheet is no stylesheet as ADE 2.

This is the main reason that using the W3C check became part of my standard workflow.

Quote:
Some of the most frustrating to find were a missing semi-colon, an extra hyphen, mis-matched capitalization. Missing or extra curly braces can do a number on you.
I ran into a couple of lovely ebooks where they had Amazon KF7/KF8 conditional code without the extra closing curly braces. And another couple where the stylesheet had no semi-colon on the last line of a style before the curly brace (which was fine) but then someone added a padding line to every paragraph related style so you now had two lines with no semi-colon in those styles. epubcheck and W3C both whinged about those errors.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... And another couple where the stylesheet had no semi-colon on the last line of a style before the curly brace (which was fine) but then ...
That there is exactly why I developed the habit of ALWAYS placing a semi-colon at the end of EVERY line -- then I don't have to worry about being absent-minded and forgetting to do that if I add more lines...

I remember an old thread about "saving space" and someone who was totally hooked on "clean coding" recommended removing un-needed semi-colons --- I guess so you could reduce file size by 10 bytes or something. I just rolled my eyes and moved on.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 08-06-2018 at 01:39 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There is no switch we can throw to tell WebKit to be "less forgiving" about css syntax errors.
And this is the fundamental problem. The "viewer" software used by the consumer that purchases the book needs to be able to deal the best it can with whatever gets thrown at it.

But as a content creator, you want every potential problem revealed. There is really a need for two different types of e-pub renderers.

Are there other alternatives to WebKit? Or are they all targeted at the consumer?
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Webkit is merely what Sigil uses to render its content. There are many, many different rendering engines for various different epub reading devices and apps.

As a content provider/creator, Sigil has always stressed that you not trust Preview/Book View as the ultimate resource on how your book should look on target devices. You should look at them on as many target devices and apps as you can reasonably afford to do.

As others have mentioned, ADE 2.0 is a fairly good test. Unfortunately, we can't use their RMSDK engine in our opensource Sigil project. Not even if we wanted to (and could afford to license it).

The short answer is that Sigil can't give you what you want in this regard. We use what we have available to us.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #9
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
That there is exactly why I developed the habit of ALWAYS placing a semi-colon at the end of EVERY line -- then I don't have to worry about being absent-minded and forgetting to do that if I add more lines...
The "Reformat CSS" on the r-click menu will do that for you on any style definitions without a final ;, one reason I run it fairly often.

As for debugging CSS, I installed "CSS lint" plugin, but it has never told me anything useful.

I would like a way to find any undefined styles. That can happen from a simple typo. And sometimes I take text from one book to transplant to another, very tedious to be sure all the styles have been translated.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-07-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: I edited this instead of quoting. Whoops! Fixed it.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I would like a way to find any undefined styles. That can happen from a simple typo. And sometimes I take text from one book to transplant to another, very tedious to be sure all the styles have been translated.
The Reports Tool doesn't suffice for this? "Style Classes in HTML Files" should show you style classes in HTML files that have no matching selector in the linked style sheet(s). And "Style Classes in CSS Files" should show you whether or not class-based selectors in CSS files are used in HTML files or not.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Reports Tool doesn't suffice for this?
You're right of course--thanks for pointing that out.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote