Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #361
Bergfux
Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle 8 (G000 K905) KT3
I followed grant2‘s tutorial step by step until part 4.
At this part I have to interrupt the boot sequence to get into uboot.
Here I have to type „bootm 0xE41000“ to boot into diagnostics.
In this tutorial I don‘t have to install anything before.
Or do I have to install anything to get it work on my kindle?
Bergfux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #362
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergfux View Post
The answer is dependent on what you have done to the device.
Have you ever used the "Erase (All)" diag menu entry on the device?
What actions lead up to the device failure that brought you to using the serial port?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #363
Bergfux
Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle 8 (G000 K905) KT3
It‘s a new device which works perfectly. I bought it to use it as an weather station with the screensaver hack. It has the Firmware 5.9.4 and so far I‘ve read there‘s no other chance to jailbreak it than using the serial jailbreak.
So I followed the tutorial until this part where I stuck now.
Bergfux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #364
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5.9.4 is fairly recent.
There might be some changes present that these old directions do not allow for.
(and of course, you do not use the quotes in the: "bootm 0xE41000" command)

PS: Did you check if your KT3* / 5.9.4 firmware includes ADBd?
If yes, somebody here more familiar than I with Android DeBug can give you directions on using it to install the single jail break file.

* https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Because, as you will notice, there are ten (10) "8th generation" Kindle models.
Please use our nickname for your device when posting here (and/or fix your left column info block).

Last edited by knc1; 06-13-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:01 AM   #365
Mikii
Mikii began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5 gen
Quote:
Hey Guys, I need your help!

I have a Kindle 8th gen (G000 K905) with Firmware 5.9.4. I want to jailbreak it to use the Screensaver Hack.
I followed the steps to serial jailbreak it but now I'm stuck on part 4: Hackary Stuff.
When I get into uboot and type in "bootm 0xE41000" , it always starts normally.
I can't get into diagnostic mode.
Do you see the booting text on your putty computer window?
If Not, the USB converter board interface is not working.

If the USB is OK, it looks to me you are failing to stop the boot process:

"Turn on your kindle, and watch the blank putty window you have open.
As soon as text starts appearing in the window, begin tapping keys on your keyboard.
Text will keep scrolling until the boot is interrupted

Hint: If you you miss the chance to interrupt, and your kindle starts normally, you can "restart" your kindle from its menus and try again"

Hope this helps
Mikii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:51 AM   #366
grant3
grant3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
Quote:
Take & post a screenshot of your PuTTy window after you have typed "bootm 0xE41000" but before you press "enter"

This should show what kindle was sending over the serial part before you interrupted it

The smart people here might be able to figure out what it means.
grant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #367
Saint.Crispan
Saint.Crispan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen (Fire Kids)
Alexa must GO.

To the point: will jailbreaking allow me to get rid of Alexa?

I have three Kindle Fire Kids, which Amazon sabotaged by infecting them with Alexa. Numerous correspondence with customer service has given me the laughable suggestion that I "disable" Alexa...a canard, since it isn't removed, merely hiding, ready to spy on my kids at any moment.

No, I want it GONE.

I have a decent background in computers in electronics, most of this thread instructions looks do-able. But before I start, I need to know, will jailbreaking allow me to remove...permanently...Alexa?
Saint.Crispan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #368
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint.Crispan View Post
I need to know, will jailbreaking allow me to remove...permanently...Alexa?
You are in the wrong forum. This jailbreak is for e-ink Kindles, not Fire tablets.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #369
Saint.Crispan

Alexa must GO.

Noted.

Will a jailbreak allow the removal of Alexa?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #370
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
How should we know, because, err, you're in the wrong forum?

It's a bit like asking your baker how fine his cheese is... the two might go well together, but being an expert in one doesn't make you an expert in both .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #371
knc1
Going Viral

@Saint.Crispan: What is the best trout fly to use during the summer months in the northern US states?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #372
Saint.Crispan

Alexa must GO.

So, a Kindle Fire 7 Kids, 7th Gen is not a Kindle tablet?

Doesn't qualify as "any touchscreen in the 5.x.y" series?

Doesn't appear in this list, as G0W0...oh, wait...it DOES.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ne...te=1&p=3707295

So why can't I use these instructions? Why am I being told I'm in the wrong forum?

And why so difficult for such competent and knowledgeable people to answer a generic question about their area of specialty? Can someone uninstall an app from a jailbroken tablet or not?

If you simply don't know, just admit you don't know, instead of acting like a jerk to the new guy. AS or not, some things are universally not cool.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #373
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
So why can't I use these instructions? Why am I being told I'm in the wrong forum?
Because you have a Fire tablet. Those run on Android.

This sub forum and thread are about Kindle e-ink readers. Those are special purpose e-book reading devices.

They have nothing in common except for both being made by Amazon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #374
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
So, a Kindle Fire 7 Kids, 7th Gen is not a Kindle tablet?

Doesn't qualify as "any touchscreen in the 5.x.y" series?

Doesn't appear in this list, as G0W0...oh, wait...it DOES.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ne...te=1&p=3707295

And why so difficult for such competent and knowledgeable people to answer a generic question about their area of specialty? Can someone uninstall an app from a jailbroken tablet or not?

If you simply don't know, just admit you don't know, instead of acting like a jerk to the new guy. AS or not, some things are universally not cool.

This is one of my pet peeves too, people calling the "Fire" tablets "Kindle". Amazon stopped calling them kindle 4 or 5 years ago. "Kindle" doesn't show up on the box it shipped with, on the store you bought it from, or anywhere on your tablet, except the one app on it called "Kindle" that lets you read books. But that name has stuck around for so long, and probably will never stop being used.

At any rate, the fire forum is here, most of the people in this forum don't have Fire tablets, and can't help. that sub forum still says Kindle Fire, because this forum doesn't let you rename things once they are made: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=243

You may also get good results here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire
XDA is a forum that does a lot of android jailbreaking

Last edited by coplate; 06-16-2018 at 11:12 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #375
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
So why can't I use these instructions?
Why am I being told I'm in the wrong forum?
- - - -
*) Different operating system.

Your Fire Tablet runs Google/Linux (a.k.a: Android) and the Kindle e-book readers runs Amazon/Linux (no special name - it is a dedicated system).

*) Because you are in the wrong forum.
This sub-forum is specifically for the Amazon e-book readers.
There is a sub-forum specifically for the Amazon Fire devices.
Here is the link to the main forum which is headed by the links to the two sub-forums:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=140

Once you are there ( ^^^ ), click the link with "Fire" in its title.

Tags
serial jailbreak