Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
My Kobo Glo feel slower compere to previous FW, like exiting a book to the home screen take more than 10sec, also opening the book bottom menus take more time than usual.
Yes, sometimes there is a performance problem with a few things when reading. Closing the book, opening the ToC, opening the settings and opening the book details are the places I've seen it. It isn't consistent, but once it starts, it seems to keep happening. Restarting the device seems to fix it for a while

Quote:
Yes, they fix the double screen refresh, but now if you turn a page, you get a screen refresh if you use annotations menu on that page.
So let say I use the dictionary on every page I get screen refresh on every turn page.
I don't like it, but it better than double screen refresh, I guess it because of the ghosting in the dictionary.
Yes, opening the annotations menu does trigger a full refresh on the next page turn. I think it was needed with older firmware or devices, but, I don't think it is now. Or at least not with my Aura ONE. But, it is much better than that double flash.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElWorm View Post
I installed the new firmware this morning, and collections do indeed open much quicker than they used to (I have 45 pages of collections). Unfortunately, now many other functions of my H2O are painfully sluggish. I have tried rebooting several times but it does not fix the problem.

I have noticed that it takes a minute or longer to enter sleep mode, sub menus take minutes to open, trying to go to the home page takes minutes, typing into the search bar takes minutes for the typed text to appear.

I have not had any luck with updates after 3.19.5761. I suspect it might be because of the large library I have stored on the external sdcard. Anyways, back to 3.19.5761 for me.

Does anyone know if the speed of the sdcard could cause sluggishness like this? I am using a Class 2 8GB Sandisk.
That performance is terrible. The library size does affect things as the device uses a database for most of these functions. The more books, the bigger the database, the more to search, the more likely things will slow down. I have around 4000 books on my Aura ONE, and don't have any real issues with performance (except the one I mentioned in my response to oren64). How many books do you have?
Old 10-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #48
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I finally got around to setting up Calibre and collections. Now that I updated to f/w 4.6.9960, I see the messages in Calibre about newer Kobo f/w and collection management being disabled.

Are there any risks or concerns if I bypass as it mentions in the pop-up message?
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
I finally got around to setting up Calibre and collections. Now that I updated to f/w 4.6.9960, I see the messages in Calibre about newer Kobo f/w and collection management being disabled.

Are there any risks or concerns if I bypass as it mentions in the pop-up message?
As stated in my post, there are no issues except for the version numbers changing.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #50
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
@Martina, an unrelated question — what font are you using in that second screenshot?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:34 AM   #51
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
@dmapr, for reading I use the font »Fontin«.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #52
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
working on the mini (not much tested, just installed and one book opened)
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:11 AM   #53
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo fix the sort by number of books in authors to most first.
I like it better that way.

If a book have a multi authors with "&" it will not separate them, and show it as one big name.
Can I change the authors name form "&" to "," in the metadata plugboards in Calibre?
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:58 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Kobo fix the sort by number of books in authors to most first.
I like it better that way.
Did they do it in increasing before? If so, I never noticed. But, I agree that descending is better and agrees with the collections list.
Quote:
If a book have a multi authors with "&" it will not separate them, and show it as one big name.
Can I change the authors name form "&" to "," in the metadata plugboards in Calibre?
Kobo is using the comma as the separator. The are assuming it is "FN1 LN1, FN2 LN2". That is how it is shown in the store and books purchased from them download that way.

I have been using the following for a while and it works well:

Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 AM   #55
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo is using the comma as the separator. The are assuming it is "FN1 LN1, FN2 LN2". That is how it is shown in the store and books purchased from them download that way.

Code:
Thank you very much, not a lot of anthologies, but good to know.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #56
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did they do it in increasing before? If so, I never noticed. But, I agree that descending is better and agrees with the collections list.
Yes they did, we talk about it back then.

Edit: in previous firmware the authors was increasing and the collections descending, now both descending.

Quote:

Code:
Thanks, just test it and it works well

Last edited by oren64; 10-05-2017 at 02:15 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #57
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
small thing I noticed yesterday have h20 2nd edition. I side loaded about 40 books but they were not showing when I drilled down to unread and recent. only show when I have all books and by title or author. Will this update fix that? (edit have bout 2800 books on there)

TIA
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm liking this update.

And for those waiting for the patches, the patches are out. Read the entire thread before applying because some patches are not in post 1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #59
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Okay--I have what is probably a very silly question...I seem to have a recollection (could be totally imagined on my part) that one of the more recent firmware versions will start nagging you if you haven't synced to the Kobo servers in quite a while. Is this accurate? Since my practice is to side-load all books, leave wi-fi off, and never sync will I eventually start getting nagged if I update?
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Okay--I have what is probably a very silly question...I seem to have a recollection (could be totally imagined on my part) that one of the more recent firmware versions will start nagging you if you haven't synced to the Kobo servers in quite a while. Is this accurate? Since my practice is to side-load all books, leave wi-fi off, and never sync will I eventually start getting nagged if I update?
I don't sync and I've never been nagged. I did get a new reminder. I was reminded that I had some books at 1% and I've not read them in a while. Iw as asked if I wanted to make them unread. I did because I wasn't planning on reading any of them just yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote