Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
Gnossos
Gnossos began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to use WebDAV to connect to a folder on a NAS drive

I am just starting to try Calibre and am very excited about what appears to be a fantastic tool. But I'm having some teething problems.

For years I've kept my library of ebooks on a NAS drive at home, which I reach by using WebDAV. These days I mostly use Macs, and the simplest way to access the library is to start in Finder and use Go > Connect to Server > (enter URL of the share on the NAS drive) > Connect. The first time connecting, enter the password and save it in Keychain. After that, Connect is sufficient.

This works great with Zotero and using the Zotfile extension. My entire library resides in a folder named Zotero_Library. So today, trying to ape this behavior in Calibre, I created a new folder named Calibre_Library with the identical permissions.

But Calibre don't like that. When it first started up it apparently scanned my hard drive and found one book, which it successfully stored in the NAS drive's Calibre library. But when I tried adding books (pdf files) to the library, I got a permission error. Even worse, Calibre seems to break the WebDAV connection altogether, so that other apps can't access the device anymore either. So I have to make another connection manually.

Any suggestions how to make this approach work?
Gnossos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
There are problems with calibre and having the library on networked/shared storage.

From the manual: "Do not put your calibre library on a networked drive."

You can avoid many problems by having your calibre library on a local hdd in a non-shared folder. And use the NAS for backups only. You can access the backups over the network.

There are many threads about this and causes and possible work-arounds. If you try using networked storage with calibre, make sure to keep your backups current and expect loss of data, possibly slow and undetected over long time so that errors/corruption may creep into backups.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Gnossos - you might also want to have a look at the Zotero Metadata Importer plugin, look for it in the Index of plugins.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library, nas drive, webdav