Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What color-full book shall we read for February?
Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt 9 47.37%
Fadeout by Joseph Hansen 5 26.32%
The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith 8 42.11%
Passing by Nella Larsen 11 57.89%
Rainbows End: A Novel with One Foot in the Future by Vernor Vinge 7 36.84%
The Amber Fury by Natalie Haynes 4 21.05%
The Color Purple by Alice Walker 4 21.05%
The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiesen 6 31.58%
The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton 6 31.58%
The Crimson Chalice by Victor Canning 2 10.53%
Green Island by Shawna Yang Ryan 5 26.32%
Colours (Earth Incorporated #1) by Adrian J. Walker 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #76
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, you're correct, orlok. My error, I was thinking of the next nomination period, not the next discussion period. Thanks for the correction.
I actually wasn't correcting you, as we posted at about the same time and I hadn't seen your post.

Looking forward to giving it a go, if I can just finish my two current books first.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So far, in my reading of Passing, I cannot say I like it or dislike it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #78
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So far, in my reading of Passing, I cannot say I like it or dislike it.
On balance, I did like it in the end. BUT I took a ton of notes. Much of it having to do with the stereotyping of many things (but they fit the time). There was also some criticism of religion (that I did not necessarily disagree with). I look forward to discussing.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #79
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I actually wasn't correcting you, as we posted at about the same time and I hadn't seen your post.

Looking forward to giving it a go, if I can just finish my two current books first.
It's a short book, so a quick read. And I think it should provide a healthy discussion. Which is, after all, one of the reasons we do this.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #80
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
It's a short book, so a quick read. And I think it should provide a healthy discussion. Which is, after all, one of the reasons we do this.
I'd prefer a good discussion about a bad book (Sylvie and Bruno *cough*) to an anemic discussion about a good book!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #81
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about a good discussion about a good book?!

Life is too short to read bad books. That being said, there's a big range between 'bad' and '5 stars'. As long as we keep it 3 stars and above, I'm probably OK. S&B was only 2 stars because of the book club. Had I started it on my own? Would have been tossed in the first 20 pages and given a single star.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:43 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How about a good discussion about a good book?!

Life is too short to read bad books. That being said, there's a big range between 'bad' and '5 stars'. As long as we keep it 3 stars and above, I'm probably OK. S&B was only 2 stars because of the book club. Had I started it on my own? Would have been tossed in the first 20 pages and given a single star.
If S&B wasn't as short as it was, book club or no, I would have stopped it.

I would rather read good books. We've read too many bad books that it's time for a string of good books. In fact, the book club's was founded on a really bad book.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #83
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It's tricky. Yes, we'd all rather read good books, but for discussion purposes (I think) it needs to be an interesting book - and "interesting" very often means that a book is not going to be everyone's taste.

And I don't know about everyone else, but part of the reason I decided to participate here was to encourage me to try books I might never have seen otherwise, or would probably have skipped over if I did see them. I seem to have grown more conservative in my reading over the last several years, so I felt I needed some prodding to expand my horizons a bit. But trying new stuff always risks hitting books you don't like.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #84
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It's tricky. Yes, we'd all rather read good books, but for discussion purposes (I think) it needs to be an interesting book - and "interesting" very often means that a book is not going to be everyone's taste.

And I don't know about everyone else, but part of the reason I decided to participate here was to encourage me to try books I might never have seen otherwise, or would probably have skipped over if I did see them. I seem to have grown more conservative in my reading over the last several years, so I felt I needed some prodding to expand my horizons a bit. But trying new stuff always risks hitting books you don't like.
^ This.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem comes when the book picked is one you know you don't like or one you know you won't like.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #86
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem comes when the book picked is one you know you don't like or one you know you won't like.
That's not a problem; it's the way it goes. So you suck it up and hope for something more to your taste next time. In the meantime, reading and discussing the chosen book is a courtesy we extend to the other participants in the expectation of similar courtesy when it's something we like and perhaps others would prefer not to read. And since we've addressed this before, I'd prefer not to belabor the point any longer.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #87
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

Absolutely. Book clubs encourage us to read books we might never have discovered, much less read. And the New Leaf Book Club has already given me two books I would never have discovered and that were well worth the read. And that in its first month!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #88
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's not a problem; it's the way it goes. So you suck it up and hope for something more to your taste next time. In the meantime, reading and discussing the chosen book is a courtesy we extend to the other participants in the expectation of similar courtesy when it's something we like and perhaps others would prefer not to read. And since we've addressed this before, I'd prefer not to belabor the point any longer.
Never having participated in a book club before, I'm kind of sitting on the sidelines trying to get a feel for it. While I can certainly understand the rule about committing to read the chosen book, some of the nominated titles were so unappealing to me that I knew I would never read them--so I did not vote.

So ... my question is this: If I don't participate in the selection process but decide to read a chosen book, is it bad form to participate in the subsequent discussion?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #89
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Never having participated in a book club before, I'm kind of sitting on the sidelines trying to get a feel for it. While I can certainly understand the rule about committing to read the chosen book, some of the nominated titles were so unappealing to me that I knew I would never read them--so I did not vote.

So ... my question is this: If I don't participate in the selection process but decide to read a chosen book, is it bad form to participate in the subsequent discussion?
Golly! Absolutely not! Everyone is welcome to join the discussion, the more the certainly merrier. Please join in.

In fact, everyone is welcome to participate at any point in the process; nominations are welcome from all even if the person doesn't plan to vote in the poll, say. It's just that we had to pair voting with participating as too many were voting only and it seemed less than fair that those who discussed didn't get to make the final selection.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I didn't mind people voting. What I minded was people voting for the winner and then not participating.

So how would I go about voting now when there is a chance one or more of the books could win that I know I won't read or reread?