Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
kobobobo
kobobobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura vs Pocketbook Touch Lux 3?

Which should I buy guys? Kobo Aura or Pocketbook Touch Lux 3? Which has better display? Which is faster? I think Pocketbook handles more format of ebooks but I can use Calibre so it's not a big deal. Which is more comfortable to read? I'm afraid that I can accidentaly turn page with Aura because of thr tiny form and flat surface...... And who knows what else?
kobobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What is your main reason for replacing your Aura HD? If you want a great display, you're better off looking at the Glo HD or the H2O, and either would also solve your concern about page turns, as they have raised bezels.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
kobobobo

I don't have any ebook reader. This will be my first one. I chose Aura HD when I registered because I thought that's what I'm going to buy, but the only country where I can afford a used one is Canada and noone ships to Europe. I don't like the tiny 6" screen but I think I can't buy any bigger that that. So I still have the question.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If budget is a big concern, check out the Kobo Glo, the earlier one (not HD). Secondhand if necessary. The display is nice for the price.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, the Pocketbook supports more formats. I don't recognise some of them so I don't know how useful they are. From the specs page for both...

Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Formats of e-books PDF, PDF (DRM), EPUB, EPUB(DRM), DJVU, FB2, FB2.ZIP, DOC, DOCX, RTF, PRC, TCR, TXT, CHM, HTM, HTML, MOBI, ACSM
Formats of images JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF
Kobo Aura (and all current Kobo ereaders)
Quote:
eBooks: EPUB, PDF, and MOBI
Text: TXT, HTML, XHTML, and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR
Supports ePub and Adobe DRM. Read books borrowed from your public library
As I would convert most of the formats to epub, the CBR/CBZ puts the Kobo ahead. But, I can see the benefit of dropping a Word document on the device quickly to take to a meeting or sit in the sun (not that we have any of that today).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As I would convert most of the formats to epub, the CBR/CBZ puts the Kobo ahead. But, I can see the benefit of dropping a Word document on the device quickly to take to a meeting or sit in the sun (not that we have any of that today).
Yes, I think for me at least the comic formats plus library books puts it ahead. However does the 'ACSM' support for the Lux mean that it does support ADE library books?

Most Word documents do just fine as txt or rtf.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:07 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yes, I think for me at least the comic formats plus library books puts it ahead. However does the 'ACSM' support for the Lux mean that it does support ADE library books?
The "EPUB(DRM)" should mean ADE support and hence library support for epubs. That would be the same for both. The "ACSM" should mean direct download of Adobe DRM books from a web-site to the device. That is something the Kobo is missing, but I can understand why Kobo haven't implemented it.
Quote:
Most Word documents do just fine as txt or rtf.
RTF maybe, but for the Word documents I'm thinking of would lose too much going to TXT.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:10 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The "EPUB(DRM)" should mean ADE support and hence library support for epubs. That would be the same for both. The "ACSM" should mean direct download of Adobe DRM books from a web-site to the device. That is something the Kobo is missing, but I can understand why Kobo haven't implemented it.
I'm hoping they will implement it, now that Rakuten has Overdrive.

Quote:
RTF maybe, but for the Word documents I'm thinking of would lose too much going to TXT.
Sure - both cope with RTF, so not a huge difference.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:50 AM   #9
kobobobo

I'd like answers who has or had both device.