Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
Sintel
Sintel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Windows PC not able to access Aura (You need to format - error)

First time user, reader brand new unboxed, not messed around with.

Before any setup (and after a factory reset), the computer can access and read the Kobo drive (FW 2.8.0)

After setup (3 steps: wifi, sign-in kobo, FW update to 3.12.0) - when I plugin the Kobo via USB, I get a - You need to format the disk ... - prompt.

How can this be fixed?
* Searched the FAQ, Wiki and bug threads but there is no mention of this.

--- Venting:

This together with the truly subpar kobo store experience (gifting me 3 french ebooks when I don't speak french, how the hell do you limit your search to specific language + specific genre + ..., ... ), and I'm suffering from a serious case of buyer remorse (why didn't I just go for the unnamed-competitor ).

Something as simple a device as an ereader should work straight from the box! No way I'm recommending anyone a kobo device if I need to start messing with custom firmwares, hacking, .. just to get basic functionality working.

Last edited by Sintel; 12-26-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Sintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintel View Post
After setup (3 steps: wifi, sign-in kobo, FW update to 3.12.0) - when I plugin the Kobo via USB, I get a - You need to format the disk ... - prompt.

How can this be fixed?
Try a factory reset. The upgrade to 3.12.0 must have gone wrong somehow. A factory reset will get you back the the original setup (including firmware 2.8.0). If that doesn't work, the thing is borked and it's back to the shop with it.

It happens.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Sintel

Already did that several times, I'll do it again just for kicks.

Switching it for another unit also seems not a real solution as the problem is clearly in the software - like I said, the default 2.8 without FW upgrade is recognized, I can copy files from/to the device without issue. I haven't used or tinkered with it whatsoever either, this is straight from the box.

The second the upgrade to 3.12 is done, the device is not recognized anymore by windows, and the dreaded format prompt comes up. In fact, the drive is RAW, meaning that the partition is not even detected / chkdsk is a no-go.

I found threads with this issue dating back over 4 years ago, with no satisfactory fix.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182819
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98206
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91406
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227463
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163257
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177591

It's hilarious a show-stopper like this remains unfixed for so long. It seems to me that the people at Kobo are complete amateurs with no QC or QA whatsoever.

Last edited by Sintel; 12-26-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Sintel

Some improvement: doing a factory reset and then upgrading the firmware to 3.12 through unzipping it in the .kobo directory, will show the share still working after the update. With a WIFI update, it is immediately borked after the update.

However completing the setup after this point - i.e. adding wifi & kobo account information and syncing - borks it again.

If I don't have this fixed by EOD, I'm returning this damned thing tomorrow for a refund and getting a kindle.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
You won the factory defect lottery getting one of few bad readers. Contact Kobo or store to get it replaced. Every manufacture has this problem in one form or another. Be thankful it is only an ereader.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Well, I have a number of Kobo readers and NONE of them have any issues connecting with Windows using 3.12 firmware so apparently it's not a firmware issue. Just because it works on one version and craps out on another doesn't guarantee it's the firmware especially when you aren't even getting a proper partition on the drive. That (and the fact that this is a sporadic issue that pops up, not a majority of users by any stretch of the imagination) strongly points to hardware rather than software. The new firmware may be using a different part of the memory that the original doesn't and thus is exposing the problem.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Sintel

OK I'm getting it replaced tomorrow. I'm just peeved I lost a day trying to troubleshoot this issue.

It may not be a majority of the users but it is common enough that it should have been picked up and incorporated into QC long ago.

Another very recent case:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251586
Old 12-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
russt
russt began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2o
For what it's worth - I got the same error. Brand new Kobo H2O looked just fine out of the box and set up using wifi. Plugged it into my pc and got the same message " you need to format disk".

I called Kobo customer service and they said to go ahead and format the drive. I kept him on the line while I clicked the button. Now pc said "Windows unable to format drive"

Next try a factory reset then format - same result so hopefully they are now going to replace it - first they need photos to review.

Very frustrating and obviously common fault looking at the other posts.
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I always wonder what windos version is used when this problem is seen?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintel View Post
Some improvement: doing a factory reset and then upgrading the firmware to 3.12 through unzipping it in the .kobo directory, will show the share still working after the update. With a WIFI update, it is immediately borked after the update.

However completing the setup after this point - i.e. adding wifi & kobo account information and syncing - borks it again.

If I don't have this fixed by EOD, I'm returning this damned thing tomorrow for a refund and getting a kindle.
If you read the threads on the Voyage on MR you will see many Voyage's going back to Amazon for noticeable color shifts. This happened with the PW1 and the PW2 as well. So yes, it's possible to get defective units. That does not make the entire line bad just because you've received one bad unit.

Have you ever (or know someone) who has bought a new car that had something wrong with it? That's what the warranty is for.

I suggest getting the Aura replaced and not jumping to a Kindle which you could also end up wanting to send back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I always wonder what windos version is used when this problem is seen?
Interesting question. I wonder what would happen if one of these devices asking to be formatted was connected to a different computer and/or a different version of Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:33 AM   #12
Sintel

Just reporting back: the replacement unit works fine, so indeed seems to be a hardware issue.

Might be worth it to add this to the FAQ, as I'm clearly not an isolated case - something along the lines of:

'If your Kobo is not recognized correctly when plugged into a computer, and you're prompted with "You need to format the disk before you can use it", try a factory reset. If that doesn't solve the problem, you need to send it in for replacement. This behavior can occur before or after a firmware update, but is not software related.'

FWIW I tried the original unit with two different PCs, an Intel and AMD platform, but both running Windows 7.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
It happened to me with two Kobo ereaders, the H20 and a Glo. I got both readers replaced.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
CharlotteA
CharlotteA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Same thing happened to me

Have spent the last hour and a half messing around with this crap. Wants to format the drive. I really can't believe this problem has not been solved.
CharlotteA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #15
Lemons
Enthusiast
Lemons began at the beginning.

Device: None
This same thing got me, expect it was not a format issue I could not put anything on the device after I put something on it unless I System recoverd the device, I had to send my H20 back but the new one seem's to be holding out ok
Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote