Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2022, 06:42 AM   #91
jux1e
jux1e began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
Apologies, that was an error in the instructions Remove the "demo-" prefix and try again?
Sadly nothing changed.

EDIT:
I also rebooted device but it didn't helped. Is 'us' folder name have something to do with country/region settings?
jux1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:45 AM   #92
Lilarcor
Lilarcor began at the beginning.

Device: H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars95 View Post
Soo Im stuck on step 4 lol. PW5 on 5.14.2

I factory reset, choose language, skip wifi and get to the homescreen where I enter ;enter_demo in search bar. I then reboot and just arrive at the homescreen. No prompt for wifi, store registration etc as stated in the tutorial. The device IS in demo mode as I can enter the demo menu with ;demo

What gives? Thanks.
Mine is same KO1 5.14.2

Last edited by Lilarcor; 04-28-2022 at 06:54 AM.
Lilarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #93
jux1e

Quote:
Apologies, that was an error in the instructions Remove the "demo-" prefix and try again?
Sadly no luck. Rebooting kindle and then repeating the steps also didn't change anything.

Is 'us' folder name have something to do with country/region settings?
Old 04-28-2022, 06:51 AM   #94
dash.zet
dash.zet began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars95 View Post
Soo Im stuck on step 4 lol. PW5 on 5.14.2

I factory reset, choose language, skip wifi and get to the homescreen where I enter ;enter_demo in search bar. I then reboot and just arrive at the homescreen. No prompt for wifi, store registration etc as stated in the tutorial. The device IS in demo mode as I can enter the demo menu with ;demo

What gives? Thanks.
Me too, but i have KT4 on 5.14.2
dash.zet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:53 AM   #95
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Nooooo. I've just updated my KO3 to 5.14.3 ;((
Is there any possibility to downgrade or I've just lost my only chance for a JB?
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #96
bladeknight
bladeknight began at the beginning.

Device: KO,KV,K3,DXI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilarcor View Post
Mine is same KO1 5.14.2
KO1 5.14.1 is the same.
when hit get started (in my language zh-cn) and it just show the content of get started
bladeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:57 AM   #97
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jux1e View Post
Thank you very much it helped!

Unfortunately I am now stuck at installing JB. Folder tree looks as follows:

Then when I proceed with the instructions:
- eject my kindle from PC
- pressing 'done' at the bottom of the screen
- going to settings -> help -> get started

And nothing happens. It just displays "Get Started" site.
I checked two times and im on 5.14.1.1 and Im using PW5-5.14.1.1 folder.
"/mnt/us" = Kindle drive (D, E, F, G... whatever letter Windows assigned to it...D on your screenshot)

So you needed to create ".demo" folder at root level of Kindle Drive (D:\.demo) not D:\mnt\us\.demo?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:59 AM   #98
dash.zet
dash.zet began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joh77 View Post
Nooooo. I've just updated my KO3 to 5.14.3 ;((
Is there any possibility to downgrade or I've just lost my only chance for a JB?
Oh no, man. It's in the first post

...If you're concerned about the security of your device and do not wish to jailbreak, install firmware version 5.14.3 from this link...
dash.zet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:00 AM   #99
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
"/mnt/us" = Kindle drive (D, E, F, G... whatever letter Windows assigned to it...D on your screenshot)

So you needed to create ".demo" folder at root level of Kindle Drive (D:\.demo) not D:\mnt\us\.demo?
Exactly, I'll update the instructions to make this clearer
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:00 AM   #100
winter_clothes
winter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipsewinter_clothes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW3
So, I was having the same problem of getting started not triggering the reboot.

I am using the PW3-5.13.7.zip file.

I noticed inside the zip file there is a file 'manifest.json', in that json file there were two config options 'compatible_locales' that were set only to 'en_GB'. Once I changed those to accept 'en_US' also (my device locale) the getting started reboot worked!

You need to change:

```
"compatible_locales": ["en_GB"]
```

To:

```
"compatible_locales": ["en_GB", "en_US"]
```

Both times it appears for the US locale.

Once you have done this and created a new zip file you can update 'demo.json' to use the md5sum.
winter_clothes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:01 AM   #101
darkassassinua
Kindle priest
darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nano_ View Post
The secret gesture was kinda finicky on my PW3. Especially because I misunderstood "double finger tap" as "two taps with a single finger". However I'm stuck on the Jailbreak part. I copied the files to the directory:

Step 3 says "demo-${YOUR_DEVICE}-${YOUR_FW_VERSION}.zip", do I need to add the "demo-"-prefix to the zip file? Also, do I just disconnect the USB cable afterwards to get back to the demo menu? Doing so, and continuing to the "Get Started"-menu just shows the "Getting started" document.
DONT add ANY prefix!Just put them to .demo folder!THATS ALL WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!
darkassassinua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:02 AM   #102
jux1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post

You are absolutely rigth Sir!

I didn't knew that '/mnt/us/' indicates root directory of Kindle.

Thank you very much!
Old 04-28-2022, 07:09 AM   #103
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Updated with locale related instructions - TL;DR make sure to use "en_GB" / "English (United Kingdom)".
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:11 AM   #104
mmmilo
mmmilo began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
after setting up files in ".demo" folder i leave deamo mode to enter setup by enter ";dsts"

my device dont crashes - why do i enter setup? i dont get the point in the tutorial.

u seem to skip steps - ur tutorial is hard to folow....
mmmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:17 AM   #105
bladeknight
bladeknight began at the beginning.

Device: KO,KV,K3,DXI
Quote:
Updated with locale related instructions - TL;DR make sure to use "en_GB" / "English (United Kingdom)".
how to factory reset device from demo mode?
bladeknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak