Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: New New Home Screen (4.4.9298) or Old Home Screen?
New New Home Screen (4.4.9288) 63 45.99%
Old Home Screen 74 54.01%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Then why not give both, if the camp for and the camp against are about equal in size...
And let's not forget the common response about Kobo complaints: "all you hear is the negative, never the positive". So if a lot of people are saying they like the old screen, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #32
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And let's not forget the common response about Kobo complaints: "all you hear is the negative, never the positive". So if a lot of people are saying they like the old screen, ...
That's actually voicing a negative opinion in a positive manner. Those same people are saying they don't like the new home screen. While people who like the new homescreen may not be voicing their opinion as loudly.

ETA the poll here is actually pretty close 23 to 30 in favor of the old homescreen.

Last edited by MGlitch; 05-28-2017 at 10:30 AM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #33
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
This poll isn't allowing me to vote. I'm registered as having already voted. I've voted in the previous poll but not this one.
llcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #34
pocketsizevera
pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
Glo HD still havent got the new home screen.

What's different in the New, New Homescreen exactly?
latest update 4.4.9344 for Glo HD will have the new home screen. I just updated it on the 19th.
pocketsizevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #35
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I kinda like the new home screen. At least now that I've worked out how to check the time. :-P
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I kinda like the new home screen. At least now that I've worked out how to check the time. :-P
You have a way to do this from the home screen? I can see the time form inside a book, but not elsewhere.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #37
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Only way I've found to do it is to go into the settings menu and from there into the Time & Date settings.

Not nearly as good as the old way, but at least it's possible without the load delay of going into a book.

Most of the time I want to check the time is when I'm reading anyways.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #38
elwyn5150
elwyn5150 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
It's tidy but I like having lots of tiles on screen. I like being able to quickly go to Sudoku if I am not in a mood for reading.
elwyn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:31 AM   #39
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Most of the time I want to check the time is when I'm reading anyways.
That's one thing I really miss about the Sony readers, you could have the current time displayed in the bottom corner (I think it was a PRS+ feature). I often would sit and read waiting for when I needed to head to appointments and always knowing the time was something I relied on. Yes, you can bring up the menu, but when you get engrossed in a book, it's easy to not do it as often as you should. And it's so much more convenient to have it displayed without having to do extra steps every few pages.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:38 AM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That's one thing I really miss about the Sony readers, you could have the current time displayed in the bottom corner (I think it was a PRS+ feature). I often would sit and read waiting for when I needed to head to appointments and always knowing the time was something I relied on.
For me, this is one of the many things my phone does better. I just set a timer with Siri, and various other electronic reminders.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #41
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I have to say I am surprised that the new home screen has a 46% approval rating on this poll.

I have held off upgrading because in my consideration the new home screen takes away a whole lot of functionality and replaces it with little new.

Someone put it this way earlier, and I agree with them - The old home screen felt like it was my device. The new screen gives the impression that the device belongs to Kobo and I merely lease it.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #42
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I have to say I am surprised that the new home screen has a 46% approval rating on this poll.

I have held off upgrading because in my consideration the new home screen takes away a whole lot of functionality and replaces it with little new.

Someone put it this way earlier, and I agree with them - The old home screen felt like it was my device. The new screen gives the impression that the device belongs to Kobo and I merely lease it.
I feel like a heretic or sellout. I used to be one of the "non-approving" of the old new home screen. But now, with the new new home screen, I don't mind it at all, as others have said. The vast majority of my screen, so far, is all mine, dedicated to my own books/collections/previews, with my reading stats underneath. I really don't miss the random hodgepodge of dismissable squares.

The new quick access menu is an improvement, I find definitely worth while.

Ideally, the home screen would be completely configurable and personalizable, but if you try sometimes, well you just might find, you get what you need.

Last edited by k9reeder; 05-31-2017 at 04:25 PM.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #43
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Oren's patches make the new homescreen have less wasted space, I've not yet tried his patch for renaming the lower left square but I imagine that would be welcomed. I don't think it lets you remove the link, but at least it'd be one less visual advertisement.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #44
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
[deleted]

Last edited by petercreasey; 05-31-2017 at 05:38 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:31 AM   #45
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I feel like a heretic or sellout. I used to be one of the "non-approving" of the old new home screen. But now, with the new new home screen, I don't mind it at all, as others have said. The vast majority of my screen, so far, is all mine, dedicated to my own books/collections/previews, with my reading stats underneath. I really don't miss the random hodgepodge of dismissable squares.

The new quick access menu is an improvement, I find definitely worth while.

Ideally, the home screen would be completely configurable and personalizable, but if you try sometimes, well you just might find, you get what you need.
I need more than one collection on the home screen, and can't figure out a way to get it (without downgrading). My H2O updated itself, even with auto sync turned off.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote