Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
loulou123
loulou123 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 300
think my reader is dead :( any advice please.

Hi everyone,

On Friday night my husband spilt a small amount of white wine over the buttons of my reader. It was turned off at time, so we left it to dry. Next day we turned it on and screen was fine, but buttons didn't work...

I took it apart and left it in rice till yesterday afternoon (my dad did this with his mobile and it worked!) I put it back together and it seemed fine last night, but then I noticed it had used 3/4 of the battery in an hour. Went to plug it in to charge this morning (via usb on laptop) and its just showing home page (books by date etc) with a exclamation mark in middle of screen....reset does nothing, and I tried removing battery and still the screen is showing!

The red light on top is lit, but computer not recognizing usb connection (nothing shows in my computer.) Cannot do hard reset as nothing is working, its just frozen, has been plugged into usb for approx 2 hours now....

Is it dead - any opinions or advice very grateful!
loulou123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Should have acted immediately, NOT left to dry - white wine isn't water, it can corrode, it has sugars and can stick as well as being conductive etc. Needed battery removing immediately and rinsing with de-ionised water (preferably after complete dismantling) to clean before trying to dry out... you may still be able to rescue by doin gthis now but probably not... nothing to lose though...

Oh, and the screen showing means nothing... it's e-ink and only uses power to change a screen, once it has an image on it, it'll stay as no refresh (with power) is required.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Maybe the battery is completely empty. Let it load a long time. That's normal.

The other question is WHY it is complete empty. That could be a short connection cause of remnants of wine etc. I would take it apart, make an visual check and whip away dirt, wine etc.

Nothing to lose, as elcreative wrote.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
loulou123
loulou123 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 300
Thank you for your replies. I know I should've removed battery straight away, but I'd never taken it apart before and had been drinking too, so it didn't cross my mind at time unfortunately..

I have taken it all apart again and completely cleaned it, it is Definately dry now and no obvious signs of damage or corrosion. The screen is now blank, but still it won't charge or be recognized by computer so I think its had it.

I left it charging for approx 5 hours on laptop (didn't let laptop sleep) so u don't think the battery can still be completely drained? And when I now plug in to laptop its showing an amber light, until i press reset then the red light comes on.

Hmmm - think its beyond saving and I'm guessing not economical to be repaired?
loulou123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sorry to hear of your problems. Very doubtful it would be economical to repair. Sony used to have a recycle program for electronics so maybe you could get a few dollars in store credit for sending it in? You might want to check their website. Accidents happen (especially when alcohol is involved). Maybe it's a sign to look for a 350 on clearance or eBay or perhaps upgrade to the new 6" T1. Hubby owes you a nice gift to make it up to you, right?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Since you have taken it apart (very brave ) take the battery out and put it in Ziploc in freezer for a few hours.
Also some electronics can take a while to dry out, so never hurts to try again in a few days

I have had dead Sony ereaders come back to life as if nothing had happened.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote