Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Calibre import story issues - formatting poetic passages

I'm using Calibre 0.7.45 (the latest supported by OpenSUSE AFAIK) and it work's great.

I'm having a small problem with a short story I've written. In it I quote a couple of passages from a very old Russian poem, so I've formatted that using line breaks. My problem is, converting the imported RTF file into epub causes either paragraphs to occur on every line, and in one case, the epub is split 3 times in the second quote.

EG:

“The Poet's dead! - a slave to honour -
He fell, by rumour slandered,
Lead in his breast and thirsting for revenge,
Hanging his proud head!...
The Poet's soul could not endure
Petty insults disgrace.
Against society he rose,
Alone, as always...and was slain!”

becomes:

“The Poet's dead! - a slave to honour -

He fell, by rumour slandered,

Lead in his breast and thirsting for revenge,

Hanging his proud head!...

The Poet's soul could not endure

Petty insults disgrace.

Against society he rose,

Alone, as always...and was slain!”

and the second quote ends up like this:

"I like the part that goes:

And they removed his wreath, and set upon his head

A crown of thorns entwined in laurel:

<completely new page starts here for some reason>
The hidden spines were cruel

And pierced his noble brow;
<and another annoying new page - argh!>
Poisoned were his final moments

By sly insinuations of mockers ignorant,

And thus he died...”

Can anyone help with this? I'd like to get it right, as I'm hoping to put it up online, and just want the formatting to be right.

FWIW - the rest of the story formats fine, no problems.
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You would expect a paragraph break after each line. That should look fine unless you have spaces between your paragraphs. If you do, and that's what you prefer, you'll need to either specify no spacing between those particular paragraphs, or else use a <br>, rather than paragraph breaks, for your poem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Using the distro supplied version is not supported. Instead, try using the binary install version from the official site.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote