Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
deferredreward
Enthusiast
deferredreward began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, former: PocketBook 360
PB360 logos look awful?

Why do logos look so terrible? I convert my images just like the forums here instruct, & if I put them in the Photo folder, they look fine, but when they are set to the power off or the boot screen, they look terrible - all washed out in grey (also the ones that should be landscape mode are oriented wrong).
deferredreward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The photo-viewer software dithers to get better grayscales, the logo display code doesn't.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
deferredreward
Enthusiast

Thank you. So I guess my best option will be to put a "return me" screen for off, & last page for on. :\
Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Not necessarily.
Not sure exactly what your issue is but others have reported satisfaction with the presentation of personal logos.
I only use the shut down logo myself, as I prefer to set startup to lastpage, but I've had no real issues with the images I tried. And all I did was use MSPaint to convert the jpg to a 4 bit bmp.
It might be more a matter of the material...?
Are you trying to use photos?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
deferredreward
Enthusiast

Sort of, using old (started with B&W mostly) images paintings of historical figures like George Washington etc.
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
There is a better way. If you use a freeware picture viewer like irfanview or xnView, they can convert any image to a 4 color-grayscale using rastering. And these logos look pretty good on the PB360 (i used to have one).
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongdong View Post
There is a better way. If you use a freeware picture viewer like irfanview or xnView,
Well, imagemagick is pretty powerful tool.
Have a look at my post here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=12
It can do very nice dithering
convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp

If you want exactly four colors, you can use
convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 4 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp
The above command works with 800x600 or 600x800 pixel bitmap, for explanation go to my post mentioned above. It is better to resize/crop each image manually using good interactive program, like Gimp, so you can see exactly where you are cutting or adding to picture.

Last edited by kacir; 01-12-2011 at 06:55 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote