Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #181
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The main thing I'm missing on the new home screen is the clock. It's not always visible as it used to be and also in the book it only shows for a few seconds when opening the menu. I hope they bring that back.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #182
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
It's a shame Kobo doesn't allow users/owners of a Kobo to decide when and if they will update firmware. If I get a warning from Kobo that I will lose x y or z functionality if I don't upgrade, that's fine. It's my decision. But I'd still like to be able to turn on wifi, and do word lookups with google and Wikipedia, use the browser, as I can now, without fear of having to risk being forced a download of buggy firmware that may or may not kill my sd card slot or ruin stats etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You can... if you patch your ereader and disable wifi updates.
Does anyone know if this is correct? Is there a current patch that allows one to enable and use wifi without getting a forced firmware update? Can't seem to find anything like that. Thanks.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #183
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, there is, I have added to my eReader.

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #184
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can... if you patch your ereader and disable wifi updates.
Quote:
Yes, there is, I have added to my eReader.

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk
Thanks. Can you give me the name of it, or link to where I can find it? Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #185
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's a libnickel patch. Look for
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Block WiFi firmware upgrade`
patch_enable = `no`
# Multi-version patch: 3.3.0 - 4.4.9298+
#
## WARNING: THIS IS A DANGEROUS PATCH! READ THE INFORMATION BELOW CAREFULLY!
##
## THIS PATCH IS UNTESTED, as there is no way to be sure it still works until
## the next firmware version is released. If it works then the firmware will
## not be upgraded during a WiFi sync, but you will still be able to upgrade
## manually or by syncing with the Kobo desktop.
##
## THIS PATCH COULD RESULT IN A BOOT LOOP when signing out of your Kobo account
## (Settings > Accounts > Sign out) or when invoking a factory reset from the
## device information menu (Settings > Device information > Factory reset).
## REMOVE THIS PATCH BEFORE USING EITHER OF THOSE OPTIONS.
## A factory reset invoked using the hardware methods (such as holding down the
## light button while switching on) should not be affected.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #186
k9reeder
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's a libnickel patch. Look for
Ah! thanks, I hadn't spotted that functionality before and was beginning to think it might be mythical... Appreciate your reply!
Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #187
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that there is now a new new homes screen, that invalidates this poll. If such a poll is still wanted, time to close this thread and start a new one as the results are no longer valid.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #188
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that there is now a new new homes screen, that invalidates this poll. If such a poll is still wanted, time to close this thread and start a new one as the results are no longer valid.
The last couple of pages, people are referring to the "new" new home screen, or at least my posts were.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #189
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's nothing invalid about this poll, which is interesting and fun. A slight tweak to the new home screen doesn't change the basic issue.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #190
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There's nothing invalid about this poll, which is interesting and fun. A slight tweak to the new home screen doesn't change the basic issue.
Well, now you can dismiss books, and the reccomendations tile is gone. I would say this is a big change.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #191
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Well, now you can dismiss books, and the reccomendations tile is gone. I would say this is a big change.
I guess it depends on your perspective. it doesn't get the collection tags back nor is it as customizable as the old screen.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #192
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Quote:
Well, now you can dismiss books, and the recommendations tile is gone. I would say this is a big change.
I agree that those are big changes and because of those big changes, this poll is no longer valid.

Also, the problem is that some are on 4.3 or have only seen/read about the old new home screen and some are on 4.4 and are using the new new home screen. So what we get here is a mishmash of discussions mixing both version of the new home screen. So really, this thread should be named to 4.3 new home screen and a new thread started on the 4.4 new home screen. But, if anyone voted in this thread basing the vote on the 4.4 new home screen, then this poll is 100% invalid because 4.3 and 4.4 are different enough that the results cannot be mixed.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-16-2017 at 04:57 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #193
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Recommendation tile is gone? It's right here on the upper right of my screen with 4.4.9298. The only tile I can interact with to do anything other than tap it to "go to" is my current read, with which a long press gives the same pop-up menu I get for managing books when in the library/my books screen (add to collection, mark as unread or finished, etc.).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #194
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Recommendation tile is gone? It's right here on the upper right of my screen with 4.4.9298. The only tile I can interact with to do anything other than tap it to "go to" is my current read, with which a long press gives the same pop-up menu I get for managing books when in the library/my books screen (add to collection, mark as unread or finished, etc.).
Open at least four books, and the top row of tiles shows all of the recent books. I guess if don't have that many opened, it will show the recommendations temporarily.

You can remove all the opened books in the top row via a long press.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #195
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Open at least four books, and the top row of tiles shows all of the recent books. I guess if don't have that many opened, it will show the recommendations temporarily.

You can remove all the opened books in the top row via a long press.
Interesting. Do you have to leave the books open at 1% (or whatever) in your library or can you set them back to unread?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home screen, kobo