Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #121
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersfire View Post
Cons
* Severe color shift when viewed off angle (like 1st gen LCD)
* Display is not quite fast enough (compared to LCD) to show smooth transitions (aka, there's a lot of stuttering)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersfire View Post
I tried to do a fair comparison (I'm a huge fan of this technology), but one thing that surprised me was a very big viewing angle dependency. Luckily the best viewing angle is on axis, but slight shifts in angle really can affect the display.

After watching some Youtube videos, I have to say that video mode is decent, but I still find myself comparing this to a Nook tablet which does video infinitely better.
The reports of the viewing angle makes a mockery of those Kyobo ad spots showing a family gathered around the ereader. I'm guessing that isn't feasible in real world conditions? Is the viewing angle a problem a deal-breaker for personal reading or is something that can be managed?

Do you reckon the animation stuttering is a problem with the display or with the hardware/software on this particular device? is there any stuttering during video playback?

Also... the elephant in the room... how did you get it? Are you in Korea? Is it easy to use with being able to read Korean? Can you root it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
When do we get the big, fluffy Samoyed display?

On to the next one already? haha. I think Samsung is supposed to have a 7.7" 1280x800 Galaxy Tab with SAMOLED Plus (not pentile) display by Q1 2012...

Last edited by pata; 12-13-2011 at 08:57 PM.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #122
mersfire
mersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Thanks again.

The reports of the viewing angle makes a mockery of those Kyobo ad spots showing a family gathered around the ereader. I'm guessing that isn't feasible in real world conditions? Is the viewing angle a problem a deal-breaker for personal reading or is something that can be managed?
Viewing angles are a joke. My wife thought the image of a red rose that I was viewing was yellow! And she was just sitting next to me, not at a very steep angle at all. And blues change to red off axis as well. Black and white viewing angles are ok (no color shift), but the contrast does drop off fairly quickly.

I guess whether this is a deal breaker is a matter of personal taste. I am a heavy reader, so I would not trade my e ink devices for anything that did not look like ink on paper. However, when I watch movies, web browse, or play games, it's either the iPad or Touchpad. This display looks more like an LCD, so I might use it for web browsing when I'm out hiking or outdoors. This display would make an AWESOME GPS display for cars or handhelds.

Quote:
Do you reckon the animation stuttering is a problem with the display or with the hardware/software on this particular device? is there any stuttering during video playback?
I think the stuttering is a combination of the display speed and hardware/software. I believe the Mirasol display is only 15fps which makes animations less smooth. However, when scrolling through menus, the stuttering there looks like classic stuttering on early Android devices.

Quote:
Also... the elephant in the room... how did you get it? Are you in Korea? Is it easy to use with being able to read Korean? Can you root it?
Haha, it's nice to have friends living in Korea! I don't read Korean, but the menus are all in English. Plus the UI is fairly intuitive. For non-enthusiasts, I would definitely wait for the English version unless you read Korean.

Quote:
On to the next one already? haha. I think Samsung is supposed to have a 7.7" 1280x800 Galaxy Tab with SAMOLED Plus (not pentile) display by Q1 2012...
Flexible OLED is what I'm really waiting to shell out big bucks for!
mersfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #123
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
interesting... thanks for the photo

was planning to order it, but looks like the shortcomings overcome the uniqueness of it (viewing angles, frontlight)...

might wait for reviews of the $450 color eInk (low resolution at 9"
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #124
mersfire
mersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
interesting... thanks for the photo

was planning to order it, but looks like the shortcomings overcome the uniqueness of it (viewing angles, frontlight)...

might wait for reviews of the $450 color eInk (low resolution at 9"
I'll be trying to get my hands on that one (Jetbook Color) too and I'll post up photos once I get it!
mersfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #125
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
This is a new video on the Kyobo ereader. The display appears to be running without the front light and I think it's actually pretty good.

http://youtu.be/G7SUv9Jd490
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #126
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Another video

http://youtu.be/xUoa91AlH4A
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #127
Armen
Armen began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Question Outdoors? Direct sunlight?

Hi!

I just browsed the thread and had a look at the photos which came up as I was browsing. Thanks for the photos. I hope others haven't asked and posted and this is not a duplicate request, could you please share some photos of the display outdoors? In direct sunlight with backlight on/off?

Cause the only advantage of this type of display (device actually) apparently so far is its visibility (of colorful images) under direct sunlight over other two screen technologies (eInk, LCD). The device at 338 grams is almost the same weight of Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 and I guess (almost sure) Tab 7.7's screen will look better indoors. No difference between them if you want to read something in bed holding the device in one hand (I have never tried a 340 grams device like that before). But reading lots of hours on my Cybook Gen3 (187 grams) I assure you the weight is just perfect, I can hold it in one hand and read for 4 hours without a slightest strain or fatigue. Another smart point in Cybook Gen3's design is that you have full access to the d-pad for page turning, navigation, menus, dictionary look up, *also* in one-handed situation (but I wish they had put a 'back' button next to the d-pad [and not at the side of the device]) ... by the way another good design point of Cybook Gen3 is the space below screen (the lower part of the bezel??) there is enough (and much needed space) there to hold the device comfortably without fingers getting in tiring position.

Apparently Kyobo was supposed to have the good things of the both worlds [little battery consumption, direct sunlight visibility, color, light weight] but it has turned out to be just the opposite (having problems of both worlds) [viewing angle, color quality, weight]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #128
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Mersfire, thank you for being the early adopter and for posting photos for us, but your photo host has *unseemly* popups when you click on the photos! NSFW! Yikes.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #129
Armen
Armen began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Exclamation oops :( :)

Oops!!!! clicked on some spoiler buttons and got to see the photos ... THANK YOU!!!!!
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote