Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Problems with Google Book Search on Sony Connect

Did a search but didn't find anything about this. When I got to the new Google area in Sony Connect and I click on author search, i get nothing. For example, I click on "Jules Verne", it returns zero results. If I type in Jules Verne in the search box, I don't get any of his books. Why would they have him down as a featured author yet none of his books are available?

I click on the link for Science fiction in the subject area and get "Flatland". That's it. Am I missing something?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
I click on the link for Science fiction in the subject area and get "Flatland". That's it. Am I missing something?
Interesting. Not sure. If I search on the web site I find his books.

http://books.google.com/books?q=+ina...s_authrefine_t

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried it in the Sony eBook Library. I clicked on Jules Verne in the Authors list and it return 4 pages of books.

BOb
Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Did a search but didn't find anything about this. When I got to the new Google area in Sony Connect and I click on author search, i get nothing. For example, I click on "Jules Verne", it returns zero results. If I type in Jules Verne in the search box, I don't get any of his books. Why would they have him down as a featured author yet none of his books are available?

Tom Swift

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony Reader

Could it have something to do with you being in China? I had 7 pages returned in the search from my Sony Library.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's public domain books and there is no mention of this on their site. Also, I buy books from Sony Connect all the time over here and no problems.
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
My search returned over 121 results, including many languages besides English.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Tom Swift
Addict

I clicked on "Robert Louis Stephenson" and only see "Treasure Island". This is a featured book and I can download it. This is very weird.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Tom Swift
Addict

I have a Canadian account but live in China but according to the FAQ, I am allowed to download books. Anyone from Europe or Asia having the same problem?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
As someone mentioned in another thread, it is possible for a book published before 1923 to be in public domain in US but be copyrighted elsewhere. So it could be that they enabled to download from Canadian accounts only those books for which they're 100% sure. Try making a new account and specify that you're in States.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
I have a Canadian account but live in China but according to the FAQ, I am allowed to download books. Anyone from Europe or Asia having the same problem?
I don't understand why. You have a Canadian account and can buy through the Sony store? The FAQ states..
"Do I need a Google or Sony eBook Store account to download Google books?

You do not need a Google account, but you are required to log in to the Sony eBook Store to access this feature. Creating an account is free, and just takes a few moments. Get started by installing our eBook Library Software.

Note: Registration and access is currently limited to users in the U.S. and Canada only."

Hopefully, someone will jump in with an answer
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
Tom Swift
Addict

I am logged in and have a Canadian credit card on file. I tried to set up a new account but it would only let me have one authorized computer per account. So much for two people in the same house having different accounts. anyway, still have no idea what is going on.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:

I'm in the UK and am getting the same results as you. I have tried from the main google book site as well and still only get Flatland and a couple others. Hmmm...
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am logged in and have a Canadian credit card on file. I tried to set up a new account but it would only let me have one authorized computer per account. So much for two people in the same house having different accounts. anyway, still have no idea what is going on.
I don't know if this works, but have you tried to create a new profile on the PC? I'm not sure if that would matter though, the PC will probably be identified the same way on both profiles.

Do you have another PC, or could you create a Virtual Machine.

BOb
Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
Tom Swift
Addict

I created a new account on my computer at work, and selected US resident. Same result. 0 authors found. Anyone from Canada having this problem or from Europe? Sounds like it is blocked in the UK.

If this is being blocked outright, it is incredibly stupid. These are PUBLIC DOMAIN works!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
I have a Sony 500, tried to download a google book which showed up in the library
but was not able to transfer it to the reader, has anyone contacted Sony or Google, this partnership does not seem to be working.
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote