Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
ashishabhinandan
ashishabhinandan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way to convert PDF to HTML preserving its content

What is the process to convert a PDF to HTML while preserving images, text, charts, formula, vector drawings and the layout? I have tried multiple tools but with no luck.

My requirement is to convert a PDF to HTML and then to epub. I have tried a number of conversion tool to convert a PDF to HTML but most of them not preserving the format, font, css or images in renderd HTML as we expect.

Is there any best possible way to convert PDF to html where we get expected result.
ashishabhinandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Check our wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PDF...from_PDF_files

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to convert PDF is to not bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishabhinandan View Post
What is the process to convert a PDF to HTML while preserving images, text, charts, formula, vector drawings and the layout?
Get the original text, with images, charts etc. and export that to HTML.
If you don't have the original text:
* Screenshot the original images;
* Clean up the images;
* Type the text in HTML;
* Use the appropriate links to the image;
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My take on PDF conversion: http://willus.com/k2pdfopt/pdf_conversion.shtml
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishabhinandan View Post
What is the process to convert a PDF to HTML while preserving images, text, charts, formula, vector drawings and the layout? I have tried multiple tools but with no luck.

My requirement is to convert a PDF to HTML and then to epub. I have tried a number of conversion tool to convert a PDF to HTML but most of them not preserving the format, font, css or images in renderd HTML as we expect.

Is there any best possible way to convert PDF to html where we get expected result.
In a word - No.

A given tool may do a better job on a given PDF than other tools. But unless its a very simple document, you'll always have to do some editing of the output.

I convert quite a lot of PDF's to EPUB. But I'm I not willing to the expend the effort to convert complex PDF's. That is, those have lots of embedded images, diagrams, sidebars, fonts, infographics, equations, tables, etc. It can take days to get something that is only just OK.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote