Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #241
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I remember very much enjoying the first 80% of Cryptonomicon, and being totally lost through the last 20%. I'm still not sure exactly how it ended or how (if?) the story threads came together.

Spoiler:
I remember there was gold. And Nazis. Something like that.

ApK
I'll have to do a Crypto re-read sometime now that I have The Baroque Cycle under my belt. I believe it's the same gold in play in both stories, and I know they have a character in common.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #242
pipb
pipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo
I remember enjoying Gérard Klein's "The Overlords of War" sometime more than 17 years ago (highschool times). Must be red once again.
pipb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #243
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Maybe not great to ask this in a forum dedicated to ebook reading but are there any books in the Sci-Fi or fantasy space that do interesting things with publishing like S or House of Leaves? I kind of need gift ideas!
I'd recommend The Goblin Trilogy from this publisher. They have a few things marked down for Christmas. No weird stuff like House of Leaves but a good price on a great complete Epic Fantasy series.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Denise23
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #244
cryptocoryne
cryptocoryne began at the beginning.

Device: DXG (B009), K4 (9023), PW1 (B024), KT2 (90C6)
Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space and Poseidon's Children books are a lot of fun. They're hard, but not inhumanly hard, speculative science fiction. There are the usual deep thoughts (What is sentience?) and big questions (relating to the Fermi Paradox and future human evolution) but also loads of grotesquerie (Chasm City) and absurd satire (Absolution Gap).

Unlike Asimov, Reynolds describes things in detail, often playfully using clinical vocabulary to describe machines and planets. There is also some positronic space opera ("See androids fighting..."), but, when science must give way to story, "[Reynolds] tries not to be stupid about it." (I think that's what he said in a BBC interview. )

Unlike with Clarke's bland administrators, Baxter's corporados, and Stapledon's wispy demigods, one cares what happens to Reynold's mostly human-ish characters.
cryptocoryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #245
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Any new suggestions on fantasy front. I'm finding myself stalled for new reads again. Are any of the Warhammer Fantasy novels worth reading?
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 PM   #246
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'll have to do a Crypto re-read sometime now that I have The Baroque Cycle under my belt. I believe it's the same gold in play in both stories, and I know they have a character in common.

I love his books. Rise and Fall of DODO was good. Seveneves was amazing.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #247
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Any new suggestions on fantasy front. I'm finding myself stalled for new reads again. Are any of the Warhammer Fantasy novels worth reading?
If you don't mind "Urban Fiction" (Vampires, werewolves, etc), then Melissa F. Olson is a good place to start. [edit: coincidentally, there are a few of her ebooks on sale at Amazon UK and Amazon US]

You could also try the Seventh Sword series by Dave Duncan

Of course, if you haven read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series, then that is definitely the way to go.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 05-24-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #248
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
I recently read Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle. It was good fantasy I thought.

It starts with The Warded Man and the final book (number 5) came out recently.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #249
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
IMHO, not worth reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #250
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Any of the Culture series from Iain M Banks.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #251
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
My fantasy time has been dominated by a first listen of the Wheel of Time series. I'm on the final volume now, on track to finish almost exactly a year from starting book one, with just a couple interludes of other audio (well, a full re-listen/read of the Stormlight Archives so far, finishing with the latest).

Stormlight is outstanding, if you're willing to jump into a series that's likely a decade or two from completion. Greg Bear's lone fantasy work from the '80s, Songs of Earth and Power (first published in two volumes, The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage), is worth a read if you've overlooked it.

In sci-fi, I've dug some good stuff out of Kindle Unlimited on my two trial/sale runs this past year:

Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, Nathan Lowell
The Bobiverse Trilogy, Dennis E. Taylor

Currently I'm reading Douglas Phillips' Quantum Void, right on the heels of Quantum Space. The prose and characterization are nothing special, but the hard sci-fi foundation and space-operatic expansion of the premises are satisfying.

I don't go through enough books to make KU worthwhile at the normal pricing, but there is some good stuff in there.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #252
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
My fantasy time has been dominated by a first listen of the Wheel of Time series. I'm on the final volume now, on track to finish almost exactly a year from starting book one, with just a couple interludes of other audio (well, a full re-listen/read of the Stormlight Archives so far, finishing with the latest).

Stormlight is outstanding, if you're willing to jump into a series that's likely a decade or two from completion. Greg Bear's lone fantasy work from the '80s, Songs of Earth and Power (first published in two volumes, The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage), is worth a read if you've overlooked it.

In sci-fi, I've dug some good stuff out of Kindle Unlimited on my two trial/sale runs this past year:

Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, Nathan Lowell
The Bobiverse Trilogy, Dennis E. Taylor

Currently I'm reading Douglas Phillips' Quantum Void, right on the heels of Quantum Space. The prose and characterization are nothing special, but the hard sci-fi foundation and space-operatic expansion of the premises are satisfying.

I don't go through enough books to make KU worthwhile at the normal pricing, but there is some good stuff in there.
As I whole, I liked the Takes from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper by Nathan Lowell. I did think that last book went off in a different direction and didn't really care that much for it, but really enjoyed the rest of them.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #253
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Any of the Culture series from Iain M Banks.
The first book is awful. I never did read the second book or any more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #254
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The first book is awful. I never did read the second book or any more.
That's too bad, I think you're missing out.

Personally, I find it refreshing to have a series that paints AI in a positive light.

* Currently reading Excession for the 3rd time *
Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #255
sealbeater
Banned

I guess I'll take this to recommend the Warhammer 40k series, The Horus Heresy.

It'll suck you in.