Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
loci
loci began at the beginning.

Device: none
sony reader vs bookeen

hi, was thinking of getting the sony reader but then saw that the bookeen will be avaiable soon.
will the bookeen be better then the sony....any thoughts?

i will mainly be using it for jpg manga/comics
loci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by loci View Post
hi, was thinking of getting the sony reader but then saw that the bookeen will be avaiable soon.

Go to the MobiPocket website and have a look and see what they have available for Manga. The Sony doesn't really have much available for sale in Manga.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Welcome on board, loci. There hasn't been much first-hands experience with the Bookeen yet (I think Hadrien was the only one who already had a chance to play with it), but from its specs, the Bookeen looks like a good pick. Currently it uses the newer E Ink generation, but it's very possible that Sony Reader devices being manufactured from now will also feature that new generation.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, loci!

For JPG manga comics I don't know how much it would matter. The displays are the same size, though the Cybook is supposed to use Viziplex, and the Sony is still using the previous version of e-ink. You might prefer the slightly lighter weight of the Cybook. But you might also prefer the metal casing of the Sony.

The other differences mostly don't apply to JPG/Manga, I wouldn't think. The Cybook's swappable battery and expected larger number of supported formats don't make much difference.

The question might come down to what you can get hold of most easily, but I'd think each would be about the same as the other for that purpose.

I would suggest that you handle one if it all possible before you jump (and take a sample file along with you on an SD card) -- that way you'll have the best possible idea of what to expect.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Well! My choice would be based on where I live. Europe would be the Bookeen as US would be the Sony. Anywhere else depends on availability.

Where are you from?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
stxopher
Nameless Being

Speaking from both the manga and Sony side, you would really need to convert the JPG stuff to make it easier to handle and read for the ereader. You can check out the work done on the Sony subs here. Some very good work. (Actually some very nice work in the Iliad area also that pertains.)

If this was one of your major criteria I would wait for the releases that are coming out in the next couple months. Promised brighter screens all around and general second generation electronics.

Heck, if there was no hurry I would wait anyway a month or two anyway. Lots of change seems to be coming around in the world of ebooks and readers soon. (Better batten down the chickens and gather the kids, Martha!)
Old 06-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
OK, a couple of things comes in mind.
Manga on sale is a joke for the Sony Reader. There are no serious titles out there to buy, and even if you do get them, the quality is less than desirable.

You're left to converting scanlations yourself.

As for screen quality, I bet Bookeen would be better than the Reader. The size are the same anyway, but a better screen.
Question is, will it have enough tools available to convert the manga you want?

I'd wait till it's out anyway, unless you got a lot of money to spare to buy both a reader and a bookeen.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
loci
loci began at the beginning.

Device: none
well im in no hurry, so guess i will wait.
im in uk yvanleterrible.
so i will need to convert scanlations! i thought the sony reader displayed jpg...why would i need to convert?
loci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does handle JPG, and I think the Cybook does too, so you ought to be fine once you get that far with the things.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I think the conversion part was pointed out as many magnas are sized far larger than the 6" screen on both devices. This would result in the image being squeezed down to fit and losing a lot of details. There are many products that allow you to break up a full page and view parts of it at a time thus allowing you to see the details.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There will always be something "better" available in 6 months time. Life is short and you'll be dead for a long time. Get what's available now and enjoy it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am waiting for these
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/E...pro/newpro.asp
Expected Release Date:2007-08-31
large screen, large enough to use a4 pdf. And they got 3 diffirent versions of it that might implicate that the simpliest version could be pretty afforable. And it supports rar, which could mean that it support the pretty wide spread comic format .cbr. But it is expected release date, it could very well not be released this year. But they got a turkish reseller that shipps in all of europe (i think)

But this might be a bit OT because it isn't a sony or bookeen, if those are the only options I would choose the bookeen.

Last edited by CTH; 06-23-2007 at 07:11 AM.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
if those are the only options I would choose the bookeen.
But you can't buy a CyBook - you can't even order one yet, and goodness knows how long it's going to be before they actually start shipping - if the original CyBook (which I have) is anything to go by, I wouldn't assume it's on the announced date.

As I said before, to my mind any "real" device is better than "vapourware", no matter how wonderful the spec of that vapourware might be. It's irrelevent how wonderful a new CyBook sounds if you can't actually read books on one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
texag
texag began at the beginning.

I think I'd wait... (that's what I'm doing).

There seems to be a significant amount of new e-readers that are close to coming to market. The bookeen has a better display than the Sony (people are saying that Sony will upgrade their display...but that is vapourware also).

The Amazon Kindle is scheduled to be out any time now. That will hopefully address a major shortcoming to the Sony Reader for those of us that want to buy modern best selling fiction by opeining up a major line of ebooks.

Yeah...there is always something better around the corner and you can wait and wait and wait....but these books are in their infancy and we'll see some incredible changes and new devices pretty quickly.

And BTW, I'm usually a very early adopter. I'll be getting an Iphone the day it comes out. However, in this market...I'm waiting for the bookeen or the kindle.
texag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I am waiting for these
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/E...pro/newpro.asp
Expected Release Date:2007-08-31
There are those still waiting for the Jinke HanLin V2, release date May of 2006. You may have a bit of a wait there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texag View Post
The Amazon Kindle is scheduled to be out any time now.
I haven't seen a schedule on it yet, if you have do please share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texag View Post
That will hopefully address a major shortcoming to the Sony Reader for those of us that want to buy modern best selling fiction by opeining up a major line of ebooks.
I'm not meaning to argue, but that statement seems to suggest that you don't consider Sony's Connect Store to be a source for modern best-selling fiction, and I'm curious as to why not.