Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
janeb
janeb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3G
Key wear in graphite kindle

Hi all
Thanks for the information so far .... but I'm afraid I have one more question before I order. Given that I can't order the white (3G) Kindle from Australia, I am concerned about reports about the keys wearing off on the graphite ones. This issue seems to be huge on various discussion boards .... but not so much on this one. Is the issue resolved? I know everyone says Amazon CS is great, but I really don't want to be sending a Kindle back and forwards to the US. Any comments?
Thanks again
janeb
janeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
not everyone is having the problem. since your only choice is the graphite one anyway, i'd just order it, and maybe wash my hands before reading. skin oils and the emollients in lotion will definitely contribute to the problem. (i personally would have an issue with potato chip oil, too, as i tend to eat while reading. my husband -- who doesn't -- has not had any problems with the keys on his graphite k3. but he's also not a heavy annotator.)
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I'm really worried about this also.

I've had mine about 10 weeks and no sign of wear yet - and believe me, I look for it.

Somewhere I read that the problem was corrected on the newer batch, but I have no idea if that's true or not. It was a post from someone on the forum, nothing official.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I never use the keyboard, so I wouldn't know. I have the wi-fi version, and find sending things from my computer to my kindle over wi-fi is much easier. Since I remove the drm immediately upon purchase, I never download directly to my kindle anyhow.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I never use the keyboard, so I wouldn't know.
Not technically part of the "keyboard", but what about the 'Menu' and 'Home' buttons or does this problem not seem to affect them?
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
tjs90241
tjs90241 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DX
My K3 DX has a little noticeable key wear on the HOME / BACK buttons.

I wouldn't let it stop you from ordering a Kindle, though. Amazon's customer service has been outstanding to me. They'll replace your Kindle (even outside warranty sometimes) and have a refurb/new one in your hands in a day or two.
tjs90241 is offline   Reply With Quote