Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Andys
Andys began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Calibre viewer - smooth scroll with mouse/keys?

Just wondering - is there an option/hotkey to scroll a specific SMALL interval up/down?
Obvious scroll keys (up/down/left/right/pgup/pgdn), mouse scroll and dragging in scroll sidebar moves the position too much. The most 'intuitive' (ohgodhowmanytimesthatwordismentionednow) option - to grap-and-drag the view area with mouse cursor isn't working either.
I have a epub with embedded images, and one of them is split between two screens and I have no way to scroll it to see whole image at once. It always either a top or bottom half
So, HOW DO I DO IT? I want to exactly scroll to image's beginning position.
There aren't a lot of user-friendly epub viewers so I am using in-build calibre viewer for picture-heavy epubs. I really would like to keep using it in future but some things really disappoint me

Last edited by Andys; 05-06-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Andys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Andys - have you tried adjusting the Viewer settings, viz

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	5056
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	148495

If the settings don't help, then you could try one of the browser based epub readers (e.g. EPUBReader or Readium), if you find one that suits then you should be able integrate into calibre via its Open With feature.

FYI - there is a new version of the Viewer currently under development, consequently the current version is in 'life support mode'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just click the yellow scroll icon in the top right corner to switch to flow mode from paged mode.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Andys
Andys began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just click the yellow scroll icon in the top right corner to switch to flow mode from paged mode.
Thank you, God! It just worked.
Not perfect (as in - scroll X pixels per mouse scroll click is still unavailable), but at least I can see images wholly now.

I wonder why didn't this pop up in google search I did? Maybe the documentation is lacking a few touches

Last edited by Andys; 05-07-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Andys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys View Post
I wonder why didn't this pop up in google search I did? Maybe the documentation is lacking a few touches
Documentation is always lacking a few touches
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Finding the magic keywords is the trick (that I still have not mastered after almost 30 years on the WWW )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:48 AM   #7
alternety
alternety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I also have spent hours trying to find a way to smooth scroll with the mouse wheel. This is a pretty universal Windows function. I have been unable to find any thing that allows me to do this.

The yellow scroll does not allow this. It does two other functions I find not desirable (too disruptive).

The only two choices I have been able to find are either vertical "go to next page" or horizontal "go to next page" from the yellow scroll sysbol. Neither of these are useful to me. I really find the supplied transitions to be very disruptive when trying to read a technical document. Particularly the ability to easily scroll a few lines either way while trying to understand the technical information. Using the mouse on the slider is not an effective substitute for actual scrolling with the mouse. The speed is way to uncontrollable and, trying to get the cursor on the bar and keeping it on when trying to scroll is really not usable because it disrupts the learning process. Way too much attention needs to be diverted from reading. It needs to be fluid and not require taking your eyes off the document you are reading.

My sense is that this product evolved from a non-windows base. That probably still guides the directions of development to some extent.

I may have simply not been able to find an existing solution. Is there anyone out there that would like to make some sort of add-on the make scrolling work like a Windows user would expect: smooth scrolling from the mouse wheel? Or is there a known modification I have simply not found. It would really make reading a document much more user friendly. It is not so bad for a story; but for understanding technical information, quite unhandy.

Please please point me to the add-on if there is a solution as I have described.
alternety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:33 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@alternety - for 'intensive' reading on PC I now use Readium on Chrome, in continuous mode it seems pretty smooth using up/down arrow, PgUp/PgDn, and mouse scroll wheel. It's not perfect, but best I've found on Windows.

What I haven't figured out is how to integrate it into calibre's Open With setup - but I haven't tried very hard. For now I'm happy opening the book folder (press 'O'), selecting the ePUB file and using the Send To feature to get it to Readium.

BR
Old 12-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
alternety

Thanks BetterRed. Good advice.

I got a epub reader that is a add-of for Firefox. Works nicely.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternety View Post
Thanks BetterRed. Good advice.

I got a epub reader that is a add-of for Firefox. Works nicely.
Great - which one?

In case you don't know ==>> The viewer is being re-written

BR
Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
alternety

Oddly, it is called http://www.epubread.com/

OK, I could not keep from saying oddly. Sorry. It is in the Firefox plugin library.

It seems to work nicely. I have only used it for a few minutes.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #12
csalsa
csalsa began at the beginning.

Any progress in the past year to smooth scrolling with the mouse wheel?

I use this all the time for scrolling web pages and it would be great if this feature was available. I am currently reading a PDF file in calibre and rolling the mouse wheel still advances to the next/previous page regardless of page or scroll mode.
csalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Mouse wheel scrolling does not flip pages unless you are in paged mode or you have set the option to do so in the viewer preferences under page flip/scrolling options.

Although given that you say you are reading PDF files, I suspect you aren't actually using the calibre viewer. When you click the view button in calibre for a PDF file, it will be default open it in your sydtems default viewer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
csalsa
csalsa began at the beginning.

Thanks kovidgoyal. You were right.
I must have made the viewer preference setting change in the past and forgot about it. I am normally better at solving problems of my own making.
csalsa is offline   Reply With Quote