Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Kobo, at least, are still selling them, so I'd guess the answer is yes
I forgot all about the Kobo Mini. Yes, you're right of course. Ignore my question .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #32
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'd like to go back to my Sony readers. I loved (and my wife loved after she inherited it from me) my Sony 505. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying to replace the battery myself and destroyed the device. But my Sony 950 keeps on going and my wife has inherited that, as I moved to the Nook tablet. As much as I really like my Nook Tablet (what I like is shopping at B&N rather than the Sony ebookstore), as a dedicated reading device, my Sony 505 was and 950 is far superior.

But I'd be happy to go back to the Sony if the device was worthwhile and it was easy to directly load (sideload is fine) books bought from B&N without having to strip DRM. If Sony's tenure in the ebook business is contingent on selling enough hardware, then it needs to create a more open device. If its tenure is contingent on growing its ebook store in the United States, I think it will not last in the ebook business. If it's tenure is contingent on growing its ebookstores outside the U.S., it might last.

The biggest problem is that most buyers of readers buy a reader that is connected to the ebookstore at which they do or want to do their book buying. In that game, Sony really lags.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I forgot all about the Kobo Mini. Yes, you're right of course. Ignore my question .
Not so fast!
The Kobo is using Vizplex screens.
There is nobody using 5in Pearl screens so they may not be making any 5in Pearl film, just 6in.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #34
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon sold the DXG for quite some time but I have a feeling that those were old models that they were slowly clearing out. I don't know how many Kobo Mini's are being sold.

It is good for everyone if Sony stays in the game and their work on their bookstore sure makes it seems like they are trying. I doubt that what they put out is going to be all that exciting or a game changer. I suspect it will be competitivly priced and will most likely be ignored in the US market.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
As I have become addicted to the Kindle's "time-to-read" feature, I seriously doubt I will get the next Sony. I still read on my T1, and it's fine, but I find myself looking to see how much time is left.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #36
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I will get one if it is frontlit and has the other little touches like the PW has. It would be good to have a great Kindle and and great Sony! I don't think I'm asking for too much.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #37
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Not so fast!
The Kobo is using Vizplex screens.
There is nobody using 5in Pearl screens so they may not be making any 5in Pearl film, just 6in.
But like the Sony x50 series, Vizplex isn't the old inferior type of screen of the older e-readers, it is a Pearl e-ink screen. Which is why the Kobo Mini specs also state "Kobo Mini is fully equipped with a no-glare Pearl E Ink touchscreen".
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #38
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Sony is well-positioned to produce a front-lit device that avoids the mistakes of the flawed Kindle PW screen and Kobo UI. This should be an easy goal for Sony.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #39
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I still wish SONY would resurrect the 9xx series. I loved the larger screen.
Frankly, for a while I used both a 950 (at home) and a 350 (on the road) and I loved the combo.
But I switched to Kindle for the front-lit screen and, now that I have not been dealing with SONY's Reader software for about a year, I can say, with absolute certainty and considerable relief, there is no way I am ever going back. Ever. They can make a weightless folding e-ink screen of adjustable dimension, in color, emitting a light glow at night and producing an angelic melody that lulls me to sleep at night - I will not buy it if it means dealing with their software.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #40
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I still wish SONY would resurrect the 9xx series. I loved the larger screen.
Frankly, for a while I used both a 950 (at home) and a 350 (on the road) and I loved the combo.
But I switched to Kindle for the front-lit screen and, now that I have not been dealing with SONY's Reader software for about a year, I can say, with absolute certainty and considerable relief, there is no way I am ever going back. Ever. They can make a weightless folding e-ink screen of adjustable dimension, in color, emitting a light glow at night and producing an angelic melody that lulls me to sleep at night - I will not buy it if it means dealing with their software.
So you didn't like the software?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #41
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Ha ha! I am familiar with vxf's past posts regarding the Sony software. The newest version of the Sony desktop software is frustrating and not as full-featured or speedy as their old version. It's syncing and note-taking capabilities are limited for advanced users like vxf compared to the old version.

The good news is that with the newer models you don't need the desktop software anymore. Sony now has a web-based bookstore for purchases on your computer. You can browse and download books from the reader browser even from other bookstores like Kobo. You can borrow books from your local library via an Overdrive app on the T1/T2. The T2 also has an Evernote app where you can upload your highlights and notes as well as download saved web pages. Sony also finally released an iOS app which is powered by Bluefire. Many of us switched to calibre for managing our libraries and collections since it integrates so well with the Sony readers. I've been able to do some sophisticated things like sorting books in my collections via published date order and adding genre and series labels to collection names.

By the way, vxf, Wall Street Journal downloads have worked consistently with the T1/T2. I think that was an issue you had in the past too. Although I recently cancelled my Sony subscription and switched to mobile access on my iPad.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #42
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
As I have become addicted to the Kindle's "time-to-read" feature, I seriously doubt I will get the next Sony.
I love that feature!!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
But like the Sony x50 series, Vizplex isn't the old inferior type of screen of the older e-readers, it is a Pearl e-ink screen. Which is why the Kobo Mini specs also state "Kobo Mini is fully equipped with a no-glare Pearl E Ink touchscreen".
Vizplex is the old inferior type of screen. Any eInk screen pre-Pearl is old and inferior. Pearl is the current type of screen. There is now HD Pearl used in some Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #44
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Vizplex is the old inferior type of screen. Any eInk screen pre-Pearl is old and inferior. Pearl is the current type of screen. There is now HD Pearl used in some Readers.
There's a LOT of older posts asking that same question over the last few years, this thread probably sums it up best.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=vizplex

In short, Vizplex on the Sony readers including the entire x50 line is indeed the Pearl e-ink screen.

Here's another thread with specific links:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=vizplex
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #45
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Sony's new reader to be a front lit T3
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...nnounced-soon/

I hope it allow folders
You do realize that that blog just makes stuff up on a regular basis, right? This unsubstantiated rumor is probably another one of their lies.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote