Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #16
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If you're a publishing house and your epub doesn't look right in iBooks (or whatever they're calling the built-in epub viewer on the iPad), you don't release the book.
And what makes you think something looking right in "iBooks" is a guaranty of anything? For all I know it could:

-Not support NCX toc's, or only single-level toc's. Publishers wouldn't bother building books with good hierarchical toc's.

-Not support embedded fonts, or worse, have a set of "default available" fonts. Publishers would have CSS files which refer directly to these fonts, and wouldn't work in any other reader (even worse if some of these fonts are dingbats).

-Have some weird default sizes and margins. Publishers would code the ePubs to override these defaults, which could make them look wrong in other readers.

I've never been an optimist
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 AM   #17
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeap.
But then ,if apple have some sense, they'll use ade drm to make tier stuff compatible. And there no telling there is no contractual / technical reasons that forbid using ade drm with an other renderer.
And since Adobe DRM is already broken, they'll probably concentrate on blocking any way of putting any ebooks but those from iBooks store on the device.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #18
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
And since Adobe DRM is already broken, they'll probably concentrate on blocking any way of putting any ebooks but those from iBooks store on the device.
Guess they can be stupid enough for that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #19
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
I think some people are being far too paranoid

Although I'll admit it IS Apple so they probably have good reason to be. But look at the facts so far.

1. There are already a number of ebook apps in the app store. Apple would annoy lots of consumers and companies by banning them.

2. Apple is already far far less stringent now when it comes to competing apps. There are a ton of apps out there now that "compete" with the so called core functionality of Apple's own apps.

3. The sdk shows that the iPad has a shared directory that can be mounted on your pc or mac and that apps can access this. This is a biggy imho as previously for the Touch and iPhone you had to jump through convoluted hoops to get your own non itunes content on board. This will make it easy to get comics and other content say epubs on there.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #20
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
And what makes you think something looking right in "iBooks" is a guaranty of anything?
Don't burst my bubble Jellby, I'm hoping Apple's renderer will be amazing.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #21
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
But look at the facts so far.
You left out:

4. Apple has stated they want to see e-book prices (especially on bestsellers) go up by 50%. This is going to be an uphill battle if people can just load up the Kindle app and buy from there for $5 less.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
But with what kind of DRM? Adobe Adept or something completely new?
Exactly. That's the second shoe I'm waiting to hear fall.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #23
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
You left out:

4. Apple has stated they want to see e-book prices (especially on bestsellers) go up by 50%. This is going to be an uphill battle if people can just load up the Kindle app and buy from there for $5 less.
Actually I'd put 4 at:

4. The device is unlocked, showing that they've already dropped some restrictions compared to the iPhone.

But I see your point. And it's a good one, one of the best arguments for them dropping support for other ebook apps.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #24
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
Quote:
You left out:

Actually they are price matching Amazon from the sounds of it.

Also Apple will implement epub correct. Look at webkit its the most compliant web browser. Look at mov it video is h.264. They are known to use standards and do it well. The drm wont be Adobes since look at how Apple still doesn't allow flash. I am also looking forward to a real epub reader.

btw Apple wont remove other book apps they wont need to since they will have a more rich experience and any of the book reading apps like the Kindle app will not cause issues. Remember you didn't need DRMed music in iTunes back when iTunes had DRM. Also remember Job's broke the music industry on DRM maybe he can do it again with publishers?
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #25
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Cluster View Post

Also Apple will implement epub correct. Look at webkit its the most compliant web browser. Look at mov it video is h.264. They are known to use standards and do it well. The drm wont be Adobes since look at how Apple still doesn't allow flash. I am also looking forward to a real epub reader.

btw Apple wont remove other book apps they wont need to since they will have a more rich experience and any of the book reading apps like the Kindle app will not cause issues. Remember you didn't need DRMed music in iTunes back when iTunes had DRM. Also remember Job's broke the music industry on DRM maybe he can do it again with publishers?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #26
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Can you make a more constructive post than a head-slapping smiley? How about addressing the posters arguments? What would be the point of this? It's disrespectful.

I for one agree with what he said, except that last part about Jobs breaking the music industry on DRM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Can you make a more constructive post than a head-slapping smiley? How about addressing the posters arguments? What would be the point of this? It's disrespectful.

I for one agree with what he said, except that last part about Jobs breaking the music industry on DRM.
I think it perfectly expresses my reaction to such a load of fanboi hogwash.

You are welcome to express your thoughts and reactions as well. Don't expect to be able to tell others what to do though.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #28
fizzwinkus
Rookie
fizzwinkus began at the beginning.

Device: Philips Nino500, Palm 500, Palm 3c, Palm Vx, PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad
Quote:
i believe he did. before apple's drm, all drm schemes before it were more draconian. that amazon's mp3 store that went drm first was the music industry's last ditch effort to break apple and their $1 a song pricing structure. as glad as amazon was to have drm free music and cheaper wholesale prices from the labels, know that they were equally happy adding any drm the music labels wanted, so long as it had an advantage over apple.

as for apple's epub, it will use the same apple drm. as soon as they can persuade publishers to give it up, they will sell drm free epub.
fizzwinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #29
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Cluster View Post
Or not.

Quote:
btw Apple wont remove other book apps they wont need to since they will have a more rich experience and any of the book reading apps like the Kindle app will not cause issues.
Do you have anything resembling evidence for that, or are you just stating opinion as fact?

For myself, much as I'd like to believe they'll open the platform to competitors, I don't think they will. Consider:

Amazon sells videos for watching on portable devices.
Apple sells videos for watching on portable devices.

Apple competes with Amazon by refusing to allow Amazon to sell their videos to users of Apple's devices.

Amazon sells mp3 files for listening to on portable devices.
Apple sells mp3 files for listening to on portable devices.

Apple competes with Amazon by refusing to allow Amazon to sell their mp3s to users of Apple's devices.

Amazon sells e-books for reading on portable devices.
Apple sells e-books for reading on portable devices.

Apple competes with Amazon by....

...nobody knows yet. But filling in the blanks with "refusing to allow Amazon to sell their e-books to users of Apple's devices" doesn't seem like a completely unreasonable guess.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #30
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
Quote:
Or not.

Do you have anything resembling evidence for that, or are you just stating opinion as fact?

For myself, much as I'd like to believe they'll open the platform to competitors, I don't think they will. Consider:

Amazon sells videos for watching on portable devices.
Apple sells videos for watching on portable devices.

Apple competes with Amazon by refusing to allow Amazon to sell their videos to users of Apple's devices.

Amazon sells mp3 files for listening to on portable devices.
Apple sells mp3 files for listening to on portable devices.

Apple competes with Amazon by refusing to allow Amazon to sell their mp3s to users of Apple's devices.

Amazon sells e-books for reading on portable devices.
Apple sells e-books for reading on portable devices.

Apple competes with Amazon by....

...nobody knows yet. But filling in the blanks with "refusing to allow Amazon to sell their e-books to users of Apple's devices" doesn't seem like a completely unreasonable guess.
Um most of your complaint is about Amazon using DRM as well and that not allowing you portability. I am sorry but Amazon videos are DRMed just as much as Apple so you cannot get it on the device. That is not the issue we are discussing anyways. I merely was pointing out that Apple whether or not he actually got the first DRM free music was the cause the led to the effect.

As for my reasoning for why is because Apple has been opening up the platform more then restricting it remember it used to be you could not make a app for giving directions or using VOIP now those are allowed. Do you really think Apple would be able to drop the slew of eReading apps? I don't think so it would cause to much bad publicity.
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote