Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
book not showing up in "Home"

I downloaded a file "Dante's Infirno.prc" of 6.87Mb and saved it on my 'puter's desktop along with some other downloads.

I plugged in the Kindle and dragged all of them to the "documents" folder and ejected the kindle.

Nowhere in my "Home" list did Dante's appear.

If I plug the Kindle into the 'puter again, and view the Kindle's folders, it clearly shows in the "documents" folder correctly with file size.

If I then safely eject the Kindle, I cannot find that book in the "Home" list.

What am I doing wrong here?
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Hi
What Kindle you have ?
Is the prc file DRM protected ?
As far as I can see K3 supports DRM-unprotected prc files.
More info needed
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Thanks for that, Kindle 3. MAYBE something to do with DRM; how can I tell if it is protected? It *was* a free download so I asssumed (?) no problem along those lines.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
That file is awfully large to be Dante's Inferno in .prc (mobi) format. Is it supposed to have many illustrations or something?

Did you try opening the file with Mobipocket Reader?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
StickMaker
Connoisseur

I suspect it does have a lot of pictures. Where do I find this reader?
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Sometimes the file, especially if it is large, fails to download completely. Still, it should show up in your home screen. Nevertheless, you should try deleting it from your kindle and then download it again.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Remember that the book will show up on the Kindle sorted either by its author or its title. The author should be "Dante Alighieri" (so it will show up listed under "A", not "D"!) and the title may well be "The Divine Comedy". Are you sure you're looking for it in the right place?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
StickMaker
Connoisseur

THERE is my answer; thanks to all of you. YES, it shows up in the Kindle as "THE DIVINE COMEDY, Complete"

I was positive (in my ignorance) that the file name showing in Windoze Exploder would be identical to the file name in the Kindle. This is not terribly user-friendly, is it?

My books are not in alphabetical order, as you implied they might be; can I alphabetize them?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMaker View Post
THERE is my answer; thanks to all of you. YES, it shows up in the Kindle as "THE DIVINE COMEDY, Complete"

I was positive (in my ignorance) that the file name showing in Windoze Exploder would be identical to the file name in the Kindle. This is not terribly user-friendly, is it?
The file name is entirely irrelevant. The Kindle reads and displays the "metadata" (title, author, etc) from within the book.

Quote:
My books are not in alphabetical order, as you implied they might be; can I alphabetize them?
Change the sort order. You can sort by title, author, or "most recently read".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
StickMaker
Connoisseur

AH, so............. my "sort options" were not showing up but NOW they do. Learned more; Like K3 even more!
Thanks again; on to my next question.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
RTFM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
StickMaker
Connoisseur

"Digital Training Facility Manager?"
"Do The Freakin' Math?"
Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
"Read the friggin manual."
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
StickMaker
Connoisseur

uffcaws. Actually, I did but could not find it.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Mobipocket Reader is a free download from mobipocket.com.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote