Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
The last act of the first Odd Thomas book made me cry. I also cried when watching the movie.
I had no idea there was a movie!

Should I read the book first? Or see the movie first?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #17
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Read the book first, it's definitely recommended.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I had no idea there was a movie!

Should I read the book first? Or see the movie first?
I've only seen the movie, as I don't like Dean Koontz' writing. But I did enjoy the movie.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've only seen the movie, as I don't like Dean Koontz' writing. But I did enjoy the movie.
I've only read about 6 or 7 of his books, back about 30 years ago. For me, they were OK, especially those title that he wrote around the time that "Strangers" [?] came out.

That leaves about 100 more novels to read - by him.

I will, however, be reading that first Odd Thomas book. That one sounds intriguing.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Cormoran Strike by Robert Galbraith, AKA J.K. Rowling - Detective
Kensie-Genaro by Dennis Lehane - Detective
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton - Science fiction/thriller
Mr.Mercedes by Stephen King - Mystery / thriller
Mickey Haller by Michael Connelly
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #21
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I would really recommend the 3 book series by Patrick Lee. The first book is The Breech. It is different than most books, with a really good hook. I am just sorry he seems to have hung up his pen. I really like the Brian Haig series too, six books in that, very funny, he also seems to have quit writing. I look for the longer series my self, I usually read around two to three books a day so when I find something I like, I don't want to quit. I have been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately, some really good, some so so.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #22
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I am looking for a book series to read from a well known author but nothing super big like Alex Cross. I hear its 26 books deep and there is no way Ill ever get caught up. Maybe a series that is no more than 3 -4 books in. It can be horror, sci-fi, Mystery, thrillers, suspence but I am big in horror and science fiction. Thank you. Do not include Arthur C Clarke for I already have almost every one of his books and short stories
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series could keep you busy for a few lifetimes. It's also excellent. Being dead hasn't stopped the new books from coming out either.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #23
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
It's fantasy, but I recently finished "The Song of the Lioness" series by Tamora Pierce. I really enjoyed it. The heroine is an interesting character you get to see grow from a pre-teen into a young woman. There's some good world-building, and the overall story has some good twists and turns.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #24
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A good time travel series appeal to you? This one has elements of Mystery as well, The Time Shifters Chronicles by Shanna Lauffey.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLCollins View Post
It's fantasy, but I recently finished "The Song of the Lioness" series by Tamora Pierce. I really enjoyed it. The heroine is an interesting character you get to see grow from a pre-teen into a young woman. There's some good world-building, and the overall story has some good twists and turns.
I second that recommendation. Song of the Lioness and Protector of the Small (a similar series from Pierce) are both in my "comfort" book list (i.e. books that I keep going back to when I just want a good enjoyable read).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:22 PM   #26
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Only half way through but thoroughly enjoying "Year One" by Nora Roberts. First novel in trilogy.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34311452-year-one
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A really good book is The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Beck Chambers. It is the first book in the Wayfarers series. The 2nd book is available and the thrid book will be available later this year in July. I found it very enjoyable. And if you like good characters, this is the book for you.

Quote:
A rollicking space adventure with a lot of heart

When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The patched-up ship has seen better days, but it offers her everything she could possibly want: a spot to call home, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy, and some distance from her past.

And nothing could be further from what she's known than the crew of the Wayfarer.

From Sissix, the exotic reptilian pilot, to Kizzy and Jenks, the chatty engineers who keep the ship running, to the noble captain Ashby, life aboard is chaotic and crazy—exactly what Rosemary wants. That is until the crew is offered the job of a lifetime tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet. Sure, they'll earn enough money to live comfortably for years, but risking her life wasn't part of the job description.

The journey through the galaxy is full of excitement, adventure, and mishaps for the Wayfarer team. And along the way, Rosemary comes to realize that a crew is a family, and that family isn't necessarily the worst thing in the universe…as long as you actually like them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #28
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Another good Fantasy series is The Goblin Trilogy by Jaq D. Hawkins. Love the world building in that one.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #29
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Some great series with a few books:

Science fiction:

Ann Leckie: Ancillary Justice, triology. The protagonist used to be an AI controlling a huge spaceship and thousands of soldier units (made from prisoners of war). When the book begins the ship is gone and she has just one soldier unit left. <snip>)
++1 on Ann Leckie! Breq is still one of my favorite characters in sci-fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A really good book is The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Beck Chambers. It is the first book in the Wayfarers series. The 2nd book is available and the thrid book will be available later this year in July. I found it very enjoyable. And if you like good characters, this is the book for you.
+1ish on the Becky Chambers. I felt like it was a bit of a rip-off of the Serenity TV show with some other interesting elements thrown in. But if you like a story about found family, it might be for you.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote