Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:42 AM   #1
HisDudeness3008
HisDudeness3008 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting htm to epub

I have an eBook in html format, and I wish to convert it in ePub. I'm on a GNU/Linux system and I'm using Calibre.

The file is displayed correctly in Firefox, despite having the "missing image" icon in the top left corner of every page for linking to jpgs that do not exist. However, after converting to ePub with default options, in each page every sentence is in the same line, so that they illegibly overlap. Calibre detects the file as "ZIP" and, if asked to display it, creates a duplicate of it in the library instead.

[Link deleted - MODERATOR] are the first 758 lines of the file (which include the first two paragraphs and everything that come before that, for a total of 11 pages) in case it could be useful to detect the problem. Please ask me for anything needed.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-26-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:53 AM   #2
HisDudeness3008
HisDudeness3008 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I figured it could depend line breaks are actually achieved by specifying absolute vertical position, and I've read the absolute position is not supported.

I've tried converting using heuristic processing. Section names appear about one word per page, with the first letter of a word overlapping with the second. A whole chapter is displayed in a page. Some line breaks are introduced (vertically, almost half page is filled), but the lines coming from different pages still overlap.
Advert
Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisDudeness3008 View Post
I have an eBook in html format, and I wish to convert it in ePub. I'm on a GNU/Linux system and I'm using Calibre.
It looks like you're trying to convert a poorly formatted pirated copy of James Ellroy's book Blood On The Moon.
Based on the code that you posted on Pastebin, the HTML file was most likely exported from MS Word using the wrong export option.
IMHO, it'd take forever to fix this mess. Why don't you simply buy the ebook on Amazon?
Old 01-26-2017, 05:51 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Coming here to ask for help on a pirated book is not going to get you any help. Buy the book and if you still need help with the legal version, we'll be happyto help.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Mobileread does not offer assistance for anyone who pirates a copyrighted ebook.

Failure to observe copyright can cause your Mobileread access to be terminated.

This thread is now closed.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-26-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Advert
Closed Thread

Tags
calibre, conversion, epub, html, overlap