Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
RobertAs
RobertAs began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Android tablet
Can Kindle for Android access azw3 format?

I'd like to know what choices are accessing e books with azw3 extension?
Since I believe it's Calibre proprietary format and extension.

Is it possible to read Calibre azw3 extenion with Kindle for PC Windows or Android?

What other applications except Calibre supports azw3 format?

On Windows 7 PC?
On Android 4.0 Samsung Tablet?

My azw3 Ebook was created with Calibre in UK prior to leaving (temporarily with Samsung tablet) to Italy as else there is no control over content accessibility outside UK. :-(
Also there are chances, that the tablet will be changed against newer unit in Italy and I can't access and download library from UK accounts.
RobertAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
RobertAs

more details

It doesn't seem to be any thread editing choices left here.

I just wanted to add

1. The book is kind of a travel guide with photos and links across the whole book content. Obviously this sets limit to compatible conversion formats.

2. In most threads there has not been made any distinction between azw3 format and extension. While azw3 format from Amazon has an extension azw and likely Calibrate azw3 extension can be changed to azw.
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAs View Post
I'd like to know what choices are accessing e books with azw3 extension?
Since I believe it's Calibre proprietary format and extension.
This is one of many Amazon Kindle proprietary formats. Calibre does not have a proprietary format. Calibre's ebook viewer is essentially a ePub viewer.

Quote:
Is it possible to read Calibre azw3 extenion with Kindle for PC Windows or Android?
Yes, These programs should read Kindle formats such as azw3.

Quote:
My azw3 Ebook was created with Calibre
If it was created with calibre it should be drm free and can be read with any Kindle or program that supports azw.

Quote:
1. The book is kind of a travel guide with photos and links across the whole book content. Obviously this sets limit to compatible conversion formats.
It should convert fine to epub.

Quote:
2. In most threads there has not been made any distinction between azw3 format and extension. While azw3 format from Amazon has an extension azw and likely Calibrate azw3 extension can be changed to azw.
I'm not an Amazon format expert, but azw or azw3 as the extension should make no difference.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
RobertAs

Thanks to DoctorOhh.

As there is no Calibre for Android - does that means one can copy deDRM file with azw3 extension to Android tablet and open with Kindle reader?

Calibre PC "send to device" is not available because Samsung tablet GT-P7300 doesn't have USB.

What files are required to copy to Android Kindle folder?
PS Win root folder:

metadata.db
metadata_db_prefs_backup.json
PC Win book folder:
Book azw3 extension file
cover.jpg
metadata.opf
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks to DoctorOhh.

As there is no Calibre for Android - does that means one can copy deDRM file with azw3 extension to Android tablet and open with Kindle reader?

Calibre PC "send to device" is not available because Samsung tablet GT-P7300 doesn't have USB.

What files are required to copy to Android Kindle folder?
PS Win root folder:

metadata.db
metadata_db_prefs_backup.json
PC Win book folder:
Book azw3 extension file
cover.jpg
metadata.opf
The AZW3 file
and possibly the cover

All the rest you show Belong just to Calibre

You might set up a shared folder on you PC (to be used with send to folder) that can be accessed (by wifi?) from your Tablet so you can move those files to your device.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
RobertAs

Why Amazon sends to Android tablet prc file instead of azw

I wonder doest Amazon Kindle for Android supports azw3 extension at all?
Why Amazon sends to Android tablet prc file instead of azw?

Until in UK, I downloaded the same ebook to PC Windows (azw) and also to Android tablet and now found the book /android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files with extension prc.

Why?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Read this for an answer about KF8 and Kindle for Android.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/22/upd...etty-pictures/

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
pollito pito
i warned you ...
pollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks to DoctorOhh.

Are you sure? I mean, sure-sure?
I have no problems using the "send to device" on my wife's tab. She uses FBReader and calibre is configured to send there epubs. It simply works.

As to the Kindle reader app, you could use the send-to-kindle email addrees from calibre or using you favorite email client.
pollito pito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
RobertAs

sending azw3 converted ebook back to Amazon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollito pito View Post
Are you sure? I mean, sure-sure?
I have no problems using the "send to device" on my wife's tab. She uses FBReader and calibre is configured to send there epubs. It simply works.

As to the Kindle reader app, you could use the send-to-kindle email addrees from calibre or using you favorite email client.
Sending to Kindle Email is new solution I wasn't aware of, as I didn't know the restriction that UK bought ebooks may be inaccessible in abroad.

Do you suggest, that emailing Calibrate converted azw to azw3 back to Amazon cloud works without any gimmick? On my own I wouldn't take this risk.

But I need access in Italy, where my tablet uses mobile G3 network.
Plus most likely I got there a new tablet and must give the present one away.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
RobertAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Read this for an answer about KF8 and Kindle for Android.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/22/upd...etty-pictures/
I couldn't find there any hint about azw file format support in Android tablet.
Nor explanation why Amazon delivers same content to PC as azw and to tablet as prc format. Except that azw may be not supported by Android tablet?

I don't dare to experiment and risk that my account in Amazon may be closed.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
pollito pito
i warned you ...
pollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litter

Device: none
I think there is something I don’t see.
Support for a specific eBook format is not a property of Android itself, but depends on which particular reader applications one uses. In Android, there are some, with more or less similar and large set of supported formats. There are, however, several proprietary (so called walled garden) formats with very little support outside the allowed platforms. Amazon eBook formats are on this category, so do not expect to easily read them outside the Kindle Reader app.

But what exactly are you trying to achieve? And how calibre enters into your situation?

If your books are in the Amazon “cloud”, then you have no problem. You can read them on any device with the Kindle Reader app installed, PC, Tablet, etc. You only need to add them to your device list on your Amazon accout settings. You do not need calibre in this scenario and besides, you can configure your tablet to use only the WiFi.
If your books are in the calibre library (and DRM free), you should be able to send then to your device (USB, email) or to the SD card of your device plugged on the PC or download to your device from the calibbre http or OPDS interfaces. This process may or may not need file conversion, depending on the original file format and its support by the reader application you are using.
But, if I understand it correctly, you want to use the Kindle Reader app in your Android tablet. In that case, you would have to convert the eBooks to either .mobi or some of the native/proprietary Amazon formats and send them to your device using the Amazon service. I am not aware of a simple method of directly importing your locally stored books into the Kindle Reader app. On my opinion, the easiest in this case would be to use some other Reader app.
pollito pito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
RobertAs

Quote:
I think there is something I don’t see.
Amazon eBook formats are on this category, so do not expect to easily read them outside the Kindle Reader app.
Yes, indeed it looks that there is no way to install Kindle on Android tablet without account registration to Amazon.

Quote:
But what exactly are you trying to achieve? And how calibre enters into your situation?
Calibre and travelling out of GB means there must not be DRM anymore.

Quote:
If your books are in the Amazon “cloud”, then you have no problem. You can read them on any device with the Kindle Reader app installed, PC, Tablet, etc.
I don't dare to add these calibred ebooks to my account.

Quote:
If your books are in the calibre library (and DRM free), you should be able to send then to your device (USB, email) or to the SD card of your device plugged on the PC or download to your device from the calibbre http or OPDS interfaces. This process may or may not need file conversion, depending on the original file format and its support by the reader application you are using.
Apparently there indeed is no other way to go.

Quote:
But, if I understand it correctly, you want to use the Kindle Reader app in your Android tablet. In that case, you would have to convert the eBooks to either .mobi or some of the native/proprietary Amazon formats and send them to your device using the Amazon service. I am not aware of a simple method of directly importing your locally stored books into the Kindle Reader app. On my opinion, the easiest in this case would be to use some other Reader app.
But is it safe in any format, when DRM has been moved.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I couldn't find there any hint about azw file format support in Android tablet.
Nor explanation why Amazon delivers same content to PC as azw and to tablet as prc format. Except that azw may be not supported by Android tablet?

I don't dare to experiment and risk that my account in Amazon may be closed.
AZW and PRC are just file extensions. AZW or PRC same file, same content, same difference.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #14
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
This is one of many Amazon Kindle proprietary formats. Calibre does not have a proprietary format. Calibre's ebook viewer is essentially a ePub viewer.
Thats not right. Calibres ebook-viewer can view EPUB, MOBI, AZW3 etc.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Calibre's ebook viewer is essentially a ePub viewer.
Thats not right. Calibres ebook-viewer can view EPUB, MOBI, AZW3 etc.
You are correct the viewer does allow you to view multiple formats, but what I said is also correct. The viewer is a essentially an ePub viewer, all other formats go through a quick and dirty conversion prior to being opened by calibre's viewer. That is why you should never expect a mobi book to look the same on your Kindle as it does in calibre's viewer.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-29-2013 at 03:12 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote