Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #46
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200767340

"Amazon doesn't charge fees for delivery of personal documents to your Kindle e-readers over Wi-Fi or that are transferred via USB. "

So implying that 3G is charged

I was charged in the UK. Except that if the document was already in the cloud I was not charged.

So if you have multiple Apps or devices, email to one that uses Wi-Fi, then ask for delivery over 3G on the 3G Kindle.
Yes, exactly. I either email to a wi-fi only device, or send directly to the cloud using the Send to Kindle app.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #47
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why? I only ask as I've bought books from B&N, but have never bought any books where I needed to mess with Adobe, so I don't know how the two compare.

I was annoyed when B&N silently changed their encryption scheme as at the time I bought my first Nook, they touted their 'social' DRM.

Once the new way was cracked, it was okay. But I still thought B&N handled the change poorly and they switched from my primary source to a distant second.

Since e-readers tend to be underpowered devices, how does your Kobo handle having those gigs and gigs of books loaded on it?

I like the idea of loading all my books on a single reader, but haven't done it yet (though the Aura could handle it since it does have an SD card slot).
From what I understand, Adobe & B&N had a deal so that anyone using the Adobe SDK for ereaders should have been able to use the B&N encryption, but I'm only aware of one or two vendors who supported it. You're right, when B&N dropped the "social DRM" with the credit card as key, and their apps all hide the downloaded books, there's no point in anyone else's reader to support it. It's a stupid policy, since the reader isn't where they make there profit, but that's B&N for you. I still buy a few things from B&N because I can get discounted gift cards from Discover through their rewards system, but I have had a couple issues with downloading cookbooks with lots of pictures from them.

I have about 20k ebooks on my Glo HD and Clara HD readers. Sometimes they are sluggish when I try selecting something on the screen, but I think that could be the touch screen mechanism. The Kobos load all the books into a sqlite database and all of the search and display are just SQL queries, so the number of books doesn't seem to cause a performance issue. It does take several minutes for it to process all the books when I sideload some via Calibre though.

It would be nice if Kobo supported syncing of location on sideloaded books too, but I often find that it doesn't really sync Kobo books all that well anyway.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 12-22-2018 at 02:26 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
From what I understand, Adobe & B&N had a deal so that anyone using the Adobe SDK for ereaders should have been able to use the B&N encryption, but I'm only aware of one or two vendors who supported it. You're right, when B&N dropped the "social DRM" with the credit card as key, and their apps all hide the downloaded books, there's no point in anyone else's reader to support it. It's a stupid policy, since the reader isn't where they make there profit, but that's B&N for you.
I have figured out where Windows stores books downloaded via the Nook Windows 10 app. I haven't had any trouble importing books into Calibre and stripping DRM.

I did have trouble with a graphic novel I bought there, but I was able to figure it out with help from Alf's blog. I wonder if your image heavy cookbooks are giving you the same issues?

Since getting B&N squared away, I wouldn't mind buying books there, but right now Amazon is just easier.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote