Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
totaltech
totaltech began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Using dropbox and Calibre

I use android devices and ie. Moto Xoom and multiple computers, home pc, home laptop, Girlfriends laptop....

I have all of my library shared in my dropbox and all of my devices have access to my dropbox to read at my pleasure.

My issue that I'm having is on my laptop and work pc the metadata is not appearing the same. Last night on my laptop I did some major editing of my books organizing them with series names, genres, corrected authors, and added cover art. When I opened Calibre on my other PC all of the edits I did did not show up.

Both machines are running version 0.7.57 and both are set up to store the library in the dropbox folder and the folder is up to date on both machines

Does anyone have ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
totaltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Metadata is not written to the files when you make changes they are saved to calibre's database. It is only written to the ebook file itself when: Sending to device, Saving to disk, Downloaded though the content server, Probably something else that I'm forgetting. This is due to performance reasons and because not all formats support setting metadata / support various amounts of metadata.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Metadata is not written to the files when you make changes they are saved to calibre's database. It is only written to the ebook file itself when: Sending to device, Saving to disk, Downloaded though the content server, Probably something else that I'm forgetting. This is due to performance reasons and because not all formats support setting metadata / support various amounts of metadata.
So I guess the lesson here is that if your books are going to be "distributed" say, using SugarSync to sync Stanza on an iMac and Stanza on a MacBook, your "master" library needs to be files "saved to disk" and not the files in the Calibre database....

right?
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltech View Post
My issue that I'm having is on my laptop and work pc the metadata is not appearing the same. Last night on my laptop I did some major editing of my books organizing them with series names, genres, corrected authors, and added cover art. When I opened Calibre on my other PC all of the edits I did did not show up.

Both machines are running version 0.7.57 and both are set up to store the library in the dropbox folder and the folder is up to date on both machines

Does anyone have ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Yes, you are starting calibre before you allow your PC to fully sync with cloud storage or, less likely, you are turning off the laptop before all of the changes can make it to cloud storage. If you left calibre running on one machine while updating things on another machine you would see the same results.

Once you open calibre on your PC the metadata.db file is locked. This file is where all of the changes you made reside. If you haven't gone crazy with more changes you can go to your web space and restore the version of the file that was updated and stored in the cloud. The version you prevented being downloaded to your machine because you opened calibre too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
So I guess the lesson here is that if your books are going to be "distributed" say, using SugarSync to sync Stanza on an iMac and Stanza on a MacBook, your "master" library needs to be files "saved to disk" and not the files in the Calibre database....

right?
No, the lesson is to let your cloud sync to your machine before starting any program that uses files from the cloud.

I have used Dropbox for 2 years. I did what the OP did once but immediately recognized the error, in my case I turned off my work machine before it had a chance to update the cloud. I chose not to make any changes to my database before I could let my work machine sync to the cloud. This is harder to do now because Dropbox now syncs the metadata.db to the cloud on the fly after most every change. It is easy though to start calibre before the metadata.db file had a chance to sync from the cloud to the local machine, bringing with it the changes made on the other computer.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-29-2011 at 12:22 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also look at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Calibre2Opds_Publish. This is useful in cases like the OPs where he wants correct metadata but is accessing the files directly via an application other than calibre.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
-snip
I have used Dropbox for 2 years. I did what the OP did once but immediately recognized the error, in my case I turned off my work machine before it had a chance to update the cloud. I chose not to make any changes to my database before I could let my work machine sync to the cloud. This is harder to do now because Dropbox now syncs the metadata.db to the cloud on the fly after most every change. It is easy though to start calibre before the metadata.db file had a chance to sync from the cloud to the local machine, bringing with it the changes made on the other computer.
Please bear with me as I'm trying to learn....

I think (but I'm not sure) that we are not talking about the same thing. Is your discussion concerning the metadata.db in reference to keeping two Calibre databases in sync?

If so, that is not what I was referring to. I was referring to a case where you have one Calibre system running on a "main" computer and you simply want a library of epubs, or mobi's, (whatever) available to different computers just to make available for reading (and thats all). Simply "save files" to disk and use dropbox or sugarsync to access the ebooks for reading.

The only thing this is going to use the metadata.db is another install of Calibre... right????
Old 04-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
The only thing this is going to use the metadata.db is another install of Calibre... right????
Correct.

Which is why if you want to use the books in the calibre library without using calibre. Such as using it via Dropbox on an Android phone the best bet is to use the odps app I linked to earlier.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Correct.
Which is why if you want to use the books in the calibre library without using calibre. Such as using it via Dropbox on an Android phone the best bet is to use the odps app I linked to earlier.
Thanks. Appreciate the answer and opds link. I think the reason we have trouble getting a handle on some of these things is because of the vast array of output devices and very different end goals (needs) of the user.