Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
chicory
chicory doesn't litterchicory doesn't litter

Device: none
Robert A. Heinlein where to find good ebook formats

Hi, I'd like to introduce my 14 year old to Robert Heinlein's stories. Can anyone recommend good ebook editions, formats? Our space is currently limited, so they need to be readable on the computer. Thank you.
chicory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory View Post
Hi, I'd like to introduce my 14 year old to Robert Heinlein's stories. Can anyone recommend good ebook editions, formats? Our space is currently limited, so they need to be readable on the computer. Thank you.
Baen has managed to get rights to some of Heinleins works, especially some of the YA stories:

Between Planets
Farmer in the Sky
The Green Hills of Earth/The Menace from Earth
The Rolling Stones

There are some other more adult Heinleins available there too.
http://www.webscription.net/s-59-robert-a-heinlein.aspx
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Amazon has several of his books, by downloading the Kindle4pc app (free) they can be read on the computer, no device needed.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...inlein&x=0&y=0
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory View Post
The heinlein juveniles are wonderful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinlein_juveniles

1. Rocket Ship Galileo, 1947
2. Space Cadet, 1948
3. Red Planet, 1949
4. Farmer in the Sky, 1950
5. Between Planets, 1951
6. The Rolling Stones aka Space Family Stone, 1952
7. Starman Jones, 1953
8. The Star Beast, 1954
9. Tunnel in the Sky, 1955
10. Time for the Stars, 1956
11. Citizen of the Galaxy, 1957
12. Have Space Suit—Will Travel, 1958

I don't know that they or any of his work is available in ebook form. I'd love to find "Time Enough for Love"

but try here:

http://inkmesh.com/search/?qs=heinlein&btnE=Find+Ebooks
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Also, check your local library for ebooks availability.

I've seen Stranger in a Strange Land, Podkane of Mars, on Overdrive.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
longhair75
longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Baen has managed to get rights to some of Heinleins works, especially some of the YA stories:

Between Planets
Farmer in the Sky
The Rolling Stones

Friend pdurant,

Thanks for these links
longhair75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Between Planets
Farmer in the Sky
The Rolling Stones

I was really surprised when I ran across the larger Heinlein selection on Baen a while back...I immediately snatched them all up just-in-case, It's sure nice to have them to re-read from my kidlet days...Heinlein and Asimov were the first SF authors I read, and have never stopped in, well, more decades than I wanna fess up to...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm hoping that Baen will soon release my favourite Heinlein, "Space Cadet". It's not currently available as a legal eBook anywhere, alas.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Fictionwise (http://www.fictionwise.com) has 7 of Heinlein’s books in several formats, just access the URL and search by “Heinlein in the author option (top left of the page).

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
chicory
chicory doesn't litterchicory doesn't litter

Device: none
Thank you, everyone! This should keep him busy for awhile.

If I had a hardbook library, I would have Heinlein and Dick Francis and Jane Austen and....

but I don't have a room and bookshelves big enough!
chicory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
patrickwest
patrickwest doesn't litterpatrickwest doesn't litter

Device: Nook B&W E-ink
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm hoping that Baen will soon release my favourite Heinlein, "Space Cadet". It's not currently available as a legal eBook anywhere, alas.

It is available at

http://www.ebooks.com/596225/space-c...lein-robert-a/
patrickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwest View Post
Also available on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Cadet-He...=UTF8&sr=&qid=
And Amazon UK. And a lot cheaper than Amazon US.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Cadet-...ds=space+cadet
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwest View Post

You do understand that you're posting to a thread that is 5 1/2 years old?

You do understand this, don't you?

And that the 14 year-old referenced in post #1 is now 20 or 21 years old?

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I didn't notice til you mentioned it Dr. Drib. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Me either.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote