Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Same icons in bottom bar in Mobi and pdf?

Hi,

I already posted this question on iRex forum, but no answer so far. ...

I canged the icons in the bottom toolbar in a mobipocket book (bigger/smaller font, search etc.) and now I have the same icons when I read a pdf!

I thought the icons could be set individualy for each application?!

Thanks for a hint. Is this a bug? Im running 1.7.
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I don't know the answer, but the framework that runs under both the Mobipocket and PDF viewers is the same (UDS). If the custom toolbar is tied to the UDS, then it would be common to any document type. This may be what is happening.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Looking at the dr1000.ini file, the toolbar-icons seem to be linked to the name of the menu that the is programmed by the application.
Like Shaggy indicated, mobi and pdf are both shown by the same application (uds). In theory iRex could allow to change the toolbar-icons per format if they would change their code to update the menu(name) depending on the format, I guess. But on the other hand this could be confusing for other people...
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks for the explanations.

I think it would be very useful. Because now I have icons to change font size when reading a pdf, which is useless. I remember somehow that iRex said it would be configurable for each application.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
I remember somehow that iRex said it would be configurable for each application.
I think there is a mismatch in understanding between the (technical) guys from iRex "there is one application that reads both pdf and mobi (and text and images) and for that application you can set your icons" and the users expectation "there is one application to read pdf and one to read mobi and for both I want to set my icons".
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I think there is a mismatch in understanding between the (technical) guys from iRex "there is one application that reads both pdf and mobi (and text and images) and for that application you can set your icons" and the users expectation "there is one application to read pdf and one to read mobi and for both I want to set my icons".
There's a single framework application (UDS) that runs under the covers. Each document type is a plugin to UDS. So, there is a mobipocket viewer plugin and a PDF viewer plugin, etc. I suspect that the customizable toolbar is done in the framework, not in the plugins.

Not sure if that helps the misunderstanding, or just makes it worse.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

Ride has provided a solution to this here. Thanks Ride!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard

I could be wrong, but I still don't think Ride's information would allow for different toolbars for each format. It's still tied to the UDS, not to the viewer plugin.

I just skimmed through his post though, so I might be missing something.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Gogolo
Addict

Uh, you may be right. Seems to be more like different icons for different view settings.
Sorry, I misinterpreted this post. Thanks for pointing out!