Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
davecabezo
Enthusiast
davecabezo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Which E Reader

I have an Asus tablet and have copied my Kindle library onto a Micro SD Card on the Tablet. The Books are in a folder (Books) then in separate folders by Author.
I cannot find an E reader App which will either scan for them or have the facility to be given the path to the books. I have tried the Kindle App, Mobo App, and another e reader App but without success.
Anyone know how to solve this simple problem?

Regards

Dave
davecabezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecabezo View Post
I have an Asus tablet and have copied my Kindle library onto a Micro SD Card on the Tablet. The Books are in a folder (Books) then in separate folders by Author.
I cannot find an E reader App which will either scan for them or have the facility to be given the path to the books. I have tried the Kindle App, Mobo App, and another e reader App but without success.
Anyone know how to solve this simple problem?

Regards

Dave
Kindle books have DRM, which means they can only be read on the device they were specifically downloaded to. If those books have been copied from another device, even if the Kindle app saw them, they wouldn't open.

The Kindle app on the device must be registered to the account with which they were purchased. Then you can download them from the account.

Also, Kindle books can only be read on a Kindle device, or in the Kindle app.

If your books have been stripped of their DRM, and converted to another format, my comments don't apply.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
davecabezo
Enthusiast

The books Ive transferred do not have DRM, they are mainly PDF books which I converted to Mobi to read on my Kindle. The problem is not that the books wont open but that I cannot find an ereader which will find the books on my SD Card (ie No decent search facility) and as I said the reader would have to go through 2 folders to arrive at the actual book
Old 06-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecabezo View Post
The books Ive transferred do not have DRM, they are mainly PDF books which I converted to Mobi to read on my Kindle. The problem is not that the books wont open but that I cannot find an ereader which will find the books on my SD Card (ie No decent search facility) and as I said the reader would have to go through 2 folders to arrive at the actual book
What about using a File management app, where you could drill down to the file, and use the "Open With" option?

That may not be the terminology...I'm not familiar with Android, or with accessing content on a memory card.

If I need to open a book that I have in Dropbox, I'm given a choice of installed apps that are compatible with the book's format. Kindle, or iBooks, or KyBook, etc.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
davecabezo
Enthusiast

Eventually found a reader that works, UB Reader, Unfortunately for me in only reads epub files so I'll have to convert all the books from Mobi to Epub

Thanks for your help Deskisamess
Advert
Old 06-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
MOOn+ pro, Bookari are capable of what you want- set a custom file path, find and open books on SD card....
you should convert to epub , not mobi, for a wider choice though. or read the original PDFs., either in those apps, or in adobe reader , or in lots of other android candidates.

both of those apps have basic free options which you can test with
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
davecabezo
Enthusiast

Do Moon+ and Bookari read mobi files? I only converted the files to mobi for the kindle as the kindle isn't very good at formatting PDF files
Old 06-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Mobi
Moon yes
Bookari no
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
BilK
BilK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD7
FB Reader can scan for books and open/read mobi files.
BilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FBReader is garbage.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FBReader is garbage.

Constructive criticism?
Anyways, FBreader seems to be the best working app on my Onyx in many ways.

And when I just found that pressing and holding the "next" button forces a refresh and pressing and holding the "previous" button pops up a nice menu, it made reading experience smoother.

I might switch to Alreader (as it seems leaner and quicker) if I can get a "night mode" profile installed/created, but FBreader's network library&sync and the integrated google translate of phrases is still tempting features ...
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
Constructive criticism?
The truth. FBReader is garbage because it doesn't work well enough. It don't respect the CSS properly.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 AM   #13
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
MOOn+ pro, Bookari are capable of what you want- set a custom file path, find and open books on SD card....
I use Bookari, and I am having trouble opening ebooks that are stored on the SD card. I have set the path to the SD card, I can see the epubs sitting on the SD card, and when I press the + button in Bookari to add the books, it finds them and behaves as if it has added them, but when I try to open an epub added this way, I get a page full of error messages. I haven't spent a lot of time on it because I can use a file manager and do a long press on the epub, and Bookari will import it correctly. Just wondering if I am missing something simple. Next time it happens I'll try to copy the error messages, but in the meantime, does anyone know what my problem might be?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
dennie.dls
dennie.dls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Samsung Pad/ S7 Edge
I have downloaded an app called eReader Prestigio. It reads epub, html, fb2, fb2.zip, txt, pdf, mobi, epub3, djvu and multiple other text and audio book formats.

I like it. It will scan you SD cards (internal and external) for books and you just have to click the import button and they will be on your shelf.

I used to use Aldiko but it is only epub and pdf reader.

Both readers are excellent but I uninstalled Aldiko as I don't need 2 ereaders on my phone or tab.
dennie.dls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #15
dennie.dls
dennie.dls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Samsung Pad/ S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FBReader is garbage.

I didn't like it either.

To me it seemed unnecessarily complicated and unless you bought the premium apk then you have a ton of other little apk to install to get any of the other plugins.
dennie.dls is offline   Reply With Quote