Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
WDS
WDS began at the beginning.

Device: Can't decide
Best Reader for pdf

Hi,

I would like to know which reader would be best for pdf viewing (excluding the iLiad-too expensive).

Thanks
WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS View Post
I would like to know which reader would be best for pdf viewing (excluding the iLiad-too expensive).
It depends. Are you talking about a PDF that is mostly or all text. Or are you talking about a PDF with disgrams, images, and other stuff that is pretty dependent on layout.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
WDS

Thanks for the reply.

No, just text mostly.
I personally want to get the sony one, but I heard some negative reviews when it came to pdf. Is it good if its just text? If not, then which one would work better?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS View Post
No, just text mostly.
I personally want to get the sony one, but I heard some negative reviews when it came to pdf. Is it good if its just text? If not, then which one would work better?
So, the bottom line is getting a (8.5x11 formated) PDF to display well on the Sony is not gonna happen. The text will be too small to read even if you put it in landscape mode. This is gonna be the case on any 6inch reader.

The best bet is to convert the document to text, rtf or LRF. This is much easier done with a PDF that is all text than one with alot of images. If you are doing this then pretty much any of the readers will work for you.

The other option is to get a PocketPC and use Adobe reader on it. This will allow the document to re-flow the text just as LRF does on a Sony reader. Of course, if you want an eInk device this is not an option.

Hope this helps,
BOb
Old 05-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

One thing that I will add to this. If your PDFs have Adobe DRM on them then you won't be able to convert them.

Another issue that I forgot to mention is that Sony is working on Adobe Digital Editions software for the PRS-505. This will allow for your to use a DRMed PDF on the Sony and it will also support the re-flow feature.

So, the Sony is probably the BEST choice at this point in the above circumstance yet it is as of yet and unshipped feature. It could be two days, two weeks, two months or more until this updates firmware for the 505 ships.

Hope that helps,
BOb
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
WDS

Perhaps I should wait for that 9.4"
Thanks a lot though. Very helpful
Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
archerwoo
Enthusiast
archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3;Ip4
so do i
I have lots of PDF format books in my computer.
It's unconvenient to read PDF books by the unmoveable and big shape so I want to
got a convenient eReader that I could read my PDF books anywhere.
But, Schade, it seems there are no such eReader that could satiflied me.
archerwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
This won't probably won't help you (sorry) but here's my 2 cents.

I read lots of books that are in PDF format. Nobody laugh, but I use the old workhorse, a REB1200 that is great for these files. Problem is, you can't find these readers unless you stumble across one on Ebay.

I convert PDF to .IMP using PDFRead and have only found 3 books with text to small to read. In fact, everything else has been larger than I would normally need (probably comparable to 14 pt font). With the newest version on PDFRead, I can now read these 3 books in landscape - not the prettiest thing but it works wonderfully.

I also love my reader because I can combine multiple HTML pages into one book using GEBLibrarian. I keep stopping myself from getting a Sony 505 but I read too many PDF and HTML stories. I know I'd regret it until I can add these file types without much stress on my part.

By the way, is there anything out there similar to GEBLibrarian for combining HTML pages into one "book" for any other format besides .IMP?

Last edited by Katelyn; 05-22-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
By the way, is there anything out there similar to GEBLibrarian for combining HTML pages into one "book" for any other format besides .IMP?
Not that I know of. But there is another recent thread where they were talking about how it would be nice to have a Greasemonkey script (firefox) to be able to do this.

BOb
Old 05-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you need to read large format .pdfs (letter or A4 size), then the best option is to get a Tablet PC for use as a reader --- no e-ink though, and LCD display, and battery life doesn't compare of course, but one does get colour and the (much) larger display.

I have a Fujitsu Stylistic in addition to my Sony PRS-505 and which I read a text on is determined by whether or no it's workable on the Sony, if not, the TabletPC is my fallback.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote